• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Tour to NZ 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Quality bowling from Hazlewood and Siddle, with a nice little cameo from Lyon at the end. Siddle's figures of 3/37 from 12 were quality but could have been even better, he was 3/21 after his 11th over.

Tail wagging turned 100ish into 180ish. Let's see how they handle it. 400 would be nice on this pitch, should hopefully mean you'd not be chasing more than 200-220 worst case scenario on day 4 and 5.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Quality bowling from Hazlewood and Siddle, with a nice little cameo from Lyon at the end. Siddle's figures of 3/37 from 12 were quality but could have been even better, he was 3/21 after his 11th over.

Tail wagging turned 100ish into 180ish. Let's see how they handle it. 400 would be nice on this pitch, should hopefully mean you'd not be chasing more than 200-220 worst case scenario on day 4 and 5.
Bit of potential rain from the Cyclone in the coral sea by days 4 and 5 too.

Cricket is a funny game, Australia would have taken 180 at start of play but NZ would be pretty happy to get there after the first hour.

Does make you wonder what happens if England batted first in those two tests over there.....

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Voges gets a "Get out of Jail Free" card, albeit in an over that really shouldn't have been bowled.

Aussies 3/147, to the Kiwis 10/183. Fairly well crafted, need to be looking at getting another 200-250 tomorrow.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Wicket gets better every day apparently so plenty of cricket left in this game. The draw at $12 looks sneakily good value I reckon.

Still, good days work by the Aussies. Took good advantage of the Kiwi's weakness on difficult pitches and put together a partnership at the end that should lay the foundation for a solid first inning lead.

BC's won't get the new ball until after lunch - so tomorrow morning should be a lot less problematic for batting

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Been at work all day and only just saw the Voges non-dismissal. Chalk up another victory to the BCCI concerning the inconsistent use of technology.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
201/3 at drinks, Ussie on 92, Voges on 26.

Think the Kiwis need to knock over Voges and get into the tail quickly. Khawaja looks very very comfortable at the crease, and if he gets his century, and another 20 overs with an old ball, he could be 150+ in no time at all.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Thinking of one the features of the Australian Cricket Team over the uears. When they get some luck from the umpire (incompetence!) Or a dropped catch so often they make the opposition pay for it.

It's why it seems like we get so much luck out of the umpires (and I'm not saying we don't). The consequences for the likes of the poor old BCs are often match changing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Reviews of erroneous no-ball calls like that one that reprieved Adam Voges in Wellington have been debated and overruled by the ICC cricket committee, on the basis that the batsman should not be judged on how he played a ball that was ruled illegal before he did so."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-australia-2015-16/content/story/971899.html

I guess they're saying the batsman, having heard/ seen the umpire call no-ball plays it as a free hit. I'm not so sure that's always the case but they do have a point maybe 7/10 times.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
"Reviews of erroneous no-ball calls like that one that reprieved Adam Voges in Wellington have been debated and overruled by the ICC cricket committee, on the basis that the batsman should not be judged on how he played a ball that was ruled illegal before he did so."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-australia-2015-16/content/story/971899.html

I guess they're saying the batsman, having heard/ seen the umpire call no-ball plays it as a free hit. I'm not so sure that's always the case but they do have a point maybe 7/10 times.
Think you're being generous with a 7 agaiant a guy with Bracewell's pace!

But theoretically they are undoubtedly right.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Well we either need to review all dismissals for the no ball or we review none.

Technology needs to operate fairly in any sport or not at all. The more I see technology misused in cricket, the more I come around to the Indian view.

And moving on from the technology part of it; what an appalling call. The guy had a third of his foot behind the line.

Chris Rodgers was on ABC this morning and said that he thought that front foot no ball calls should be taken away from the on-field umpires altogether. I tend to agree, as they are hardly in a good position to be making calls when they are perpendicular to the line and up to 5 metres away.

1455293589370.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Adam Voges currently has the highest average (min'm 1,000 runs) of anyone who's family name isn't Bradman. Even if he gets out next ball he's comfortably ahead of Barnes, Pollock & Headley. That makes my head hurt & not in a morning after the night before kinda way............

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Adam Voges currently has the highest average (min'm 1,000 runs) of anyone who's family name isn't Bradman. Even if he gets out next ball he's comfortably ahead of Barnes, Pollock & Headley. That makes my head hurt & not in a morning after the night before kinda way....
Probably needs one more innings to get to 20 before retiring and completing the greatest sporting troll of all time.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Adam Voges currently has the highest average (min'm 1,000 runs) of anyone who's family name isn't Bradman. Even if he gets out next ball he's comfortably ahead of Barnes, Pollock & Headley. That makes my head hurt & not in a morning after the night before kinda way....

Or as Mark Twain might put it:

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.":)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of your lot I wouldn't mind if it were Smith, Khawaja or even Warner (who seems much less of a twat since the arrival of Mrs & baby Warner), but Adam Voges? To quote the mighty JMac, "you CANNOT be serious!!!"

He's also got four consecutive first-class (& if I'm not mistaken three Test) first-class hundreds. FC record is six, of course co-held by DGB along with Mike Procter & C B Fry. Think the Test record is five by Weekes (?).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Of your lot I wouldn't mind if it were Smith, Khawaja or even Warner (who seems much less of a twat since the arrival of Mrs & baby Warner), but Adam Voges? To quote the mighty JMac, "you CANNOT be serious!!!"

He's also got four consecutive first-class (& if I'm not mistaken three Test) first-class hundreds. FC record is six, of course co-held by DGB along with Mike Procter & C B Fry. Think the Test record is five by Weekes (?).
Great stat just on the radio. He's just overtaken sobers and sachin for most test runs without a dismissal.

He's on 503 at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.