• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre Season '16: Reds v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What's Berrick Barnes doing right about now? Any chance he'd be interested in a truckload of cash to come home?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Why. Flyhalf and 12 are not the problem. The issue in attack is the lack of any structure past 2nd phase. The issue in defence is the weakness on the flanks just as it has been for the past two years. The loss of Gill also didn't help as without him they struggled at the breakdown.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Cynical approach from the Brumbies -willing to give away penalties all the time - amazing difference in penalty numbers, especially considering they had so much possession and made so few tackles.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
21 penalties from the Brumbies, following on from last year I expect they will top the table for penalties conceded, it remains part of their defensive structure.

That said they are in the box seat for the conference win. The Tahs are in a true re-build with a lot of players leaving and a new coach.

The Reds to fight for the wooden spoon again with the Force from what I have seen.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies discipline was poor, but on the flip side we had plenty of chances and struggled for any cohesion. It makes it hard when you drop the ball in contact so much. If we could control the ball more it would have put pressure on Gardiner to take firmer action.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
21 penalties from the Brumbies, following on from last year I expect they will top the table for penalties conceded, it remains part of their defensive structure.

That said they are in the box seat for the conference win. The Tahs are in a true re-build with a lot of players leaving and a new coach.

The Reds to fight for the wooden spoon again with the Force from what I have seen.

Brumbies were actually one of the least penalised teams last year until they played the Stormers under Stuart Berry............

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Wasn't hugely impressed with either team, neither seem to have moved on much from last year. The Brumbies are an unbelievably cynical team, they make the All Blacks looks like innocent kids just having a run around. I think they'll make the finals and fall short again. The Reds look like they're being coached by Richard Graham. Great scrum though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies were actually one of the least penalised teams last year until they played the Stormers under Stuart Berry....

Not in total penalties perhaps, but where those penalties are conceded. I would hazard that most of the Brumbies penalties were conceded in their own 22, which is a very interesting statistic when you consider they dominated possession and territory and spent little time in their 22.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

I would be cautious with the Force as I think they may surprise.

The Reds to me seem so disjointed. They resemble a game of whack-a-mole they way players pop up, do something and them disappear. Also once they get hit a few time they seem to be reluctant.

What happened with the kicking for the line? Seems like something sucked out the confidence of the young bloke after he missed touch.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Brumbies discipline was poor, but on the flip side we had plenty of chances and struggled for any cohesion. It makes it hard when you drop the ball in contact so much. If we could control the ball more it would have put pressure on Gardiner to take firmer action.

Happy for them to find the line and cop it now than later when points are at risk.

New laws, new interpretation so test the boundaries and find out what the whistle-blowers want and how they are seeing things. Already there have been questions about the laws and interpretation variances.

I don't think you will find out where the line is with a polite conversation in the tunnel with the Ref's.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I would be cautious with the Force as I think they may surprise.

The Reds to me seem so disjointed. They resemble a game of whack-a-mole they way players pop up, do something and them disappear. Also once they get hit a few time they seem to be reluctant.

What happened with the kicking for the line? Seems like something sucked out the confidence of the young bloke after he missed touch.

I have been a Tahs fan my whole life, I remain scarred from Foley's time at the Tahs and I've seen nothing to indicate that he will be any different at the Force this year from previous years there and at the Tahs. I hope for Australian Rugby as a whole I am proved wrong, because the Reds look much like last year.

T

TOCC

Reds were average, no structure in attack but the scrum was good... Yet to see what O'Connor has contributed to the team, plenty of passes behind the players or players flat footed, didn't see any pods or defined direction in attack, kicks for touch were poor.

As for the Brumbies, reasonable performance against crap opposition, I hope the refs don't allow cynical play like that to creep into super rugby this year.

T

TOCC

Also, the QRU got one thing right with this match and that was the live streaming, started up easily, great commentators ;) and overall good quality. Watched it on my Tv and quality was good throughout.

My one suggestion would be to make the stream url available earlier in the evening, perhaps through a dedicated 'live stream' page on their website, it makes it a little confusing trying to find the stream when it appears only 10mins before kick off, prior to that it was a dead link.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, this thread has been well and truly hijacked by disgruntled Reds' fans. Apparently, the Reds are no better than last year but have a scrum that some would cream their pants over. And it's all RG's fault. On the other hand, the Brumbies are cynical almost to the point of cheating. And it has even been suggested that Jake white might still be responsible.

Two sides played rugby tonight. One was clearly better than the other. So many close calls where the score could have blown out considerably. I liked that the Brumbies did play a more expansive game than they have previously under Bernie. I hope they keep it up.

oncewasaback

Frank Row (1)
I wonder if there will be a video coming up from gill v pocock punching on in the background, gill looked to have got some solid blows in!

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Alot comments on Brumbies 'cynical' play.. quiet interesting. They attack the breakdown and push the line, but when they have the ball they are expansive and clinical. I personally see the Reds gameplan as 'cynical' rugby, although it is an obvious strength, going for scrum penalty after scrum penalty is a terrible watch. Combine that with kicking away everything and you've got yourself a snoozefest. Even in prime real estate (5m line) they have no desire to use the ball. The backs are starved of possession. Frisby will probably get a wringing for taking the quick tap even though he scored, thats how distorted the thinking is. The RG brand of rugby is deplorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.