• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Been a bit quiet on here!

I'm hoping there is a bit more of a media push this week in regards the Brumbies v Tahs game this weekend . I have seen a few newspaper articles so far and have even heard it mentioned on AM radio this morning. But I suspect the general public isn't that aware of the game.

I'll be quite interested in the make up of the City v Country SIRU sides next weekend. I'm thinking it could be favouring the combined city side. Any thoughts or mail?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wouldn't be relying too much on the Daily Advertiser Newspaper to promote the Trial match.
The headline in yesterday's edition "Stars Out" was a joke and to have a photo of a neville nobody local Aussie Rules player on top of the Article and head line made them look even more stupid.
If they are a Regional Newspaper they should be promating matches like these - I'll bet the Collingwood v N Melbourne match in Wagga in March gets saturated media coverage
The Sports boss at the DA is an AFL Groupie who took over from Les Muir (manure) so we have gone from a Group 9 spokesperson to a local AFL mouthpiece
The DA should be re-named the DAFL
The TV & Radio stations give fantastic coverage to Rugby in General esp. these sort of Trial Games but unless Mangoplah is playing Osborne in the curtain Raiser before the Brumbies Trial the DAFL couldn't give a ?
The Union publicityis ordinary and sadly since McTaggart stopped covering it - it has gone backwards
It will be intersting to see how many full Back Pages Union gets this week
The paper is ordinary and at least if you read it on line you can pick and choose your articles and you don't get Aussie Rules rammed down your throat "EVERY Day"

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Not sure if this is the right forum but why is Wagga Junior rugby starting in mid February ???
Surely junior cricket and other sports will impact on this ? And on jubilee ? I'm no expert on the subject but surely this is a retrograde step for the sport ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Not sure if this is the right forum but why is Wagga Junior rugby starting in mid February ???
Surely junior cricket and other sports will impact on this ? And on jubilee ? I'm no expert on the subject but surely this is a retrograde step for the sport ?

Hmm, that's an interesting move from the Juniors. Maybe just getting together early? Rep training? Very strange if it's the whole club!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
There are a couple of handy games coming up in the area of the next few weeks.

This Saturday, Brumbies Under 20's v Rebels Under 20's @ CRP Wagga. 2pm kickoff.

20th Feb, Rebels Under 20's v Sydney Uni @ CRP Wagga. Also SIRU v Sydney Uni on the back end of that.

27th Feb, Queanbeyan, Gungahlin and SIRU are playing a three way trial @ CRP Wagga. I also hear rumours of Wagga Waratahs v UNSW on this day too?

Then we move into the local trial season! It's a busy start to the year!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Hmm, that's an interesting move from the Juniors. Maybe just getting together early? Rep training? Very strange if it's the whole club!

After talking to few people in the loop it seems that the Friday night junior comp is running from the 19th of Feb till the 2nd of April. Given that the SIRU senior comp starts on the 9th this seems a little odd in my eyes. The biggest concern seems to be sunday rugby for juniors in Wagga has been left high and dry with bugger all numbers! Frankly if this is at all true its not a good thing for rugby in Wagga. Given that both City and Tahs have had plenty of kids graduate from the Wagga Juniors to senior rugby over the last few years it would be a massive issue if it was the case. I hope its not.

@YMS when did this SIRU trial game start taking place ??

Jock Mason

Bob McCowan (2)
Hmm, that's an interesting move from the Juniors. Maybe just getting together early? Rep training? Very strange if it's the whole club![/

The Friday night comp has been moved forward in order to see it all wrapped up before the SIRU juniors comp begins (which i think is great idea!)as there was becoming increasingly less participation from Wagga teams in the SIRU Sunday comp. To the point where at their own Wagga Gala day last year we had U7s forfeited to us, due to lack of numbers and U9s game only going ahead after they borrowed players??? The Friday night comp has been allowing Wagga based players to get their rugby fix on Friday night without leaving the 60km zone then opting not to be involved in SIRU comp which involves travelling......
Hopefully the new format will see better Wagga commitment to the SIRU comp and the reality of country rugby, which is, you've got to be willing to get on the road!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Friday night comp has been moved forward in order to see it all wrapped up before the SIRU juniors comp begins (which i think is great idea!)as there was becoming increasingly less participation from Wagga teams in the SIRU Sunday comp. To the point where at their own Wagga Gala day last year we had U7s forfeited to us, due to lack of numbers and U9s game only going ahead after they borrowed players??? The Friday night comp has been allowing Wagga based players to get their rugby fix on Friday night without leaving the 60km zone then opting not to be involved in SIRU comp which involves travelling..
Hopefully the new format will see better Wagga commitment to the SIRU comp and the reality of country rugby, which is, you've got to be willing to get on the road
Hey Jock, welcome to the forum mate, got time to post now you're not playing? :)

If this is the case, that's a positive move by the Wagga Juniors. It's a catch 22 for them though isn't, the Friday night comp allows for the beer, cheese and chardonnay for an hour or so before the kids down a sausage and then home to bed but the Sunday Competition has to be the main focus. ie Friday night is convenient for the majority - can play rugger without leaving town but ultimately not good for the development of the individual or the competition as a whole.

From what I have heard about the Wagga Juniors, they seem to have lost their way a little from the original years of the Burey/Wakeling era that maintained the Friday night and Sunday Competitions. Hopefully they can find their way because forfeits at home are not a good sign for the biggest club in the comp!

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There are a couple of handy games coming up in the area of the next few weeks.

This Saturday, Brumbies Under 20's v Rebels Under 20's @ CRP Wagga. 2pm kickoff.

20th Feb, Rebels Under 20's v Sydney Uni @ CRP Wagga. Also SIRU v Sydney Uni on the back end of that.

27th Feb, Queanbeyan, Gungahlin and SIRU are playing a three way trial @ CRP Wagga. I also hear rumours of Wagga Waratahs v UNSW on this day too?

Then we move into the local trial season! It's a busy start to the year!

any kick off times available for Trials at Conolly this Saturday - wouldn't mind watching Sydney Uni play against Melbourne U/20s and the Southern Inland Team

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Anyone got any info on the Brumbies U20s v Rebels U20s game? Did it happen?

Sure did mate. Rebels won out in the end.

I wasn't there, but my sources tell me it was a quality game with the Brumbies having the upper hand in the set piece. Scrums were apparently a solid attacking weapon for the Brumbs.

Rebels counter attack and backline proved the difference, although they did pick up a couple of injuries to some of their guys. It's great for these games to be brought out to the regional centres.

Sorry I don't have any mail on individual performances, I'll be there for the Rebels v Uni hitout this weekend and will update the Rebels thread on how I see that game.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
On another note, the 2016 draw and competition format have been released.

2016 will see a traditional Home and Away concept which will be refreshing for the zone. 14 rounds, a top 5 finals series played over 4 weeks.

The "Premier Division" format will be made up of Ag College, Albury, City, CSU, Griffith, Leeton, Tahs and Tumut with Hay, Deni and Junee slotting into the 3rd Grade Competition.

Comp kicks off on 9th April with the GF taking place on the 20th August.

SIRU will defend their BPT Crown in Bateman's Bay for the Brumbies Provincial Tournament on the June Long Weekend and will also face off against NSW Country in Central West on the 18th June which results in a two week bye to the competition. Not ideal I guess, but if that's how the cookie crumbles.

As I said above, it's looking like a solid start to the year already.

Has anyone seen any Draws for Temora, Coota & Young for next year ?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
gee it will be interesting to see what Coota & Temora think of their Draws - looks like a bit of a Dog's Breakfast to me but they don't look as though they have too much travel during the season

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
DA article on Saturday was all about Sterling Ross again - is he playing with Aggies, is he playing League in Warhope , is he coming home again ???. he seems a bit of obsession with the DA as to what he is up to this year.
Maybe they should feature some articles on players who are 'actually' playing in the SIRU Comp this year instead of maybes and mightbes

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks for that - just had a look
An away trip to Cooma is interesting because its no different from Young to Albury which the Yabbies always seemed to struggle with.
At least we'll get a guide to how strong the 3rd & 4th Grade Comps are in Canberra as I presume taht is who the Yabbies 1st & 2nd Grade teams will be playing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.