• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre Season '16: Reds v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
If the brumbies can get away with it (ie not get yellowed) why wouldn't you play cynically? Blame the ref not the ponies, they simply summed up the conditions.

Without reading too much into a preseason match I thought the Brumbies at least looked to try some different things and were primarily trying to advance the ball. Most of their kicks seemed to have purpose and for the most part they were chased well. The Reds seemed to play more and more conservatively as the match drifted away from them, in a way that is to be expected but in the preseason it seems like a missed opportunity to implement certain game plans that one would hope they've been working on. The result of these too opposing ideologies meant that when the brumbies made mistakes they still looked dangerous and when the reds did they looked lost.

Hopefully for the red fans this result is just the usual preseason lottery where results and style don't reflect the season ahead.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
would've been easier if the Brumbies wore their away jersey.

So Reg, what you are telling me is that the Reds new "Home Jersey" is blue (as in The Queensland Blues)?! Why did the Brumbies need to wear another colour when they were playing a team that, up until the end of 2015, traditionally wore red?! If blue is our new colour, then, I don't like it, however, I will get use to it!
I still stick by my original thought, that the Reds management stuffed up.

BTW, thanks for the stream, and the commentary, Reg, but even at times, you guys got confused by the mono-colour!! The opportunity existed at 1/4 time, 1/2 time, and 3/4 time to change to red jerseys, but no one took the initiative!!

K

KAOPointman

Isn't it up to the away team to wear the diff Jersey! So if the Reds preseason jersey is grey......then the brumbies must have chosen to come up hear with their dark blue vs our grey!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So Reg, what you are telling me is that the Reds new "Home Jersey" is blue (as in The Queensland Blues)?! Why did the Brumbies need to wear another colour when they were playing a team that, up until the end of 2015, traditionally wore red?! If blue is our new colour, then, I don't like it, however, I will get use to it!

BTW, thanks for the stream, and the commentary, Reg, but even at times, you guys got confused by the mono-colour!! The opportunity existed at 1/4 time, 1/2 time, and 3/4 time to change to red jerseys, but no one took the initiative!!

Conversations at the Brumbies meet the players day on Saturday suggested that the issue was raised as the players were struggling with the colour "blend". I believe that at least one conversation was had with the referee.

The players found it both fascinating and hilarious that it was as bad watching the stream as it was on the field! It really helped with interacting with the players as it was great conversation piece.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies away jersey has yet to be revealed, so it was unlikely they were going to show up in anything but blue..............

Reactions: mst

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If you lot want to be critical of the Reds for something, you can just about take your pick of topics but seriously, the one thing they didn't do wrong was the jersey.

- our Jersey was Grey, not blue!!!
- it is up to the away team to wear an alternate if there's a clash. Saying the Brumbies didn't have one yet doesn't make the clash our fault.

Filth Rugby, I hope Greene does get some time in the last trial.

That was the last trial. Our boys are having this week off. Graham's thinking was that if we picked up any injuries then in the two trials then a week off would allow us to get them fit for round 1. So as every other team will be bedding down combos and gaining match fitness we'll be resting up, just in case.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That was the last trial. Our boys are having this week off. Graham's thinking was that if we picked up any injuries then in the two trials then a week off would allow us to get them fit for round 1. So as every other team will be bedding down combos and gaining match fitness we'll be resting up, just in case.

Quoting Laurel and Hardy: "And that's another fine mess you've gotten us into".

T

TOCC

The Brumbies away jersey has yet to be revealed, so it was unlikely they were going to show up in anything but blue......

Well they'd better get cracking, they're going to need to wear the away jersey quite a few times in 2016 since the new jerseys clashes will clash in the following away matches; highlanders, force, stormers, blues & bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

No. What I am saying, is the home team chooses their home jersey and the Reds chose this pre-season trial jersey. It wasn't blue. It was grey. They wore it last week. Did the Brumbies not bother to take note?

I will stick by my original thought, that the Brumbies management stuffed up.

Oh, and don't worry. You don't have to remind me we got confused by the colours. I was there. The players did too at times, as we commented on. A shame the Brumbies weren't more sensible about it all.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Was there direct and timely communication from the backroom staff of the Reds to their counterparts at the Brumbies about their intentions to wear the blue/grey/not red jersey? If there was, Brumbies fault. If there wasn't, it was the Reds fault. This is exactly why the home change tradition was the established and sensible rule for a very long time.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Regarding whoever it was that was commenting on the reds standing too deep in attack, it is not surprising that we do (apologies to whoever mentioned it - I can't find the reference, sorry):

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...b/news-story/e0fe3f49ce616ab3b8cfdd8eeec943b6

Watch the video in the above article and you can see that the reds are training deep. If we train that way, what other way are we going to play? Any training videos I ever see of the reds over the last couple of years always seems overly deep and with very laboured passing.

The brumbies and saders passing in the trials, whilst sometimes a bit wayward, was generally crisp and quick. The reds looked like a pick up game.

T

TOCC

Yes I commented that during the game that the Reds were standing deep, lack of penetrating runners and a rushing defence meant the Reds were failing to get across the advantage line and actually went backwards between the phases.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought McIntyre was too deep. That depth is fine behind a set piece, but imo disappointing if we are that weak to necessitate it from the ruck. Its a short clip though, not enough to definitively state this is tactical positioning.

I loved Simmo's "these young blokes have some X-factor, we just have to harness it". I can only support the sentiment of his harness.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Dru, there's a few odd years of Super Rugby footage (has it seriously been that long?..) backing up the notion that playing very deep is something that being asked if by whoever makes the final call on attacking structures.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, there's a few odd years of Super Rugby footage (has it seriously been that long?..) backing up the notion that playing very deep is something that being asked if by whoever makes the final call on attacking structures.

Yeah, fair enough. I try to be positive. Mind you we do nominally have MO'C in that role, so I had been hoping. If he was doing something with it, its clearly been over-ridden.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes I commented that during the game that the Reds were standing deep, lack of penetrating runners and a rushing defence meant the Reds were failing to get across the advantage line and actually went backwards between the phases.

Could it also be designed to give the young back-line a little extra time and space, also allowing the ball to be taken towards the line immediately gaining forward momentum and allowing runners to be in motion?

I envisage it could instil a good go-forward habit in a back line, but also create other bigger issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.