• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Another interesting weekend of racing. People on this forum are saying its game, set match to Shore but you have to remember things can change very quickly in this sport, the reliance on equipment can also prove to be fatal as well. In saying this Shore do look very strong in the 1st and 2nd VIII's. 5:48 is a seriously quick time and their 2nd VIII coming 6th beating most 1st VIII's is also impressive. Scots are just progressively going backwards, however if you remember back to last year they were coming 5th and 4th in the 1st VIII and then come out of no where to finish 2nd. Joeys look to be a lot faster in the 1st VIII and more consistent in the 2nd VIII. Kings also looking to be faster this time of the season once again beating Scots for that last spot on the podium.
Less than a month until the big dance now. LTR

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Regarding stacking, I loathe it as much as the next person because of the message it sends to young athletes that the whole process is about winning regardless of the quality of competition. I feel in a way, however, that as long as schools like Cranbrook and Kinross are allowed to enter ONE eight at a regatta, AND to enter that eight as a "Third Eight" and win by miles, then no-one can take the high moral ground about higher crews being run in lower divisions. I couldn't make it to SIRC this weekend but even watching the live results it's blatantly obvious. Yet schools like Grammar and High just plug away and never take the easy way to what is essentially a hollow victory. It seems that apart from GPS regattas (where you are obliged to enter a 1st VIII first and others in immediately descending order) it's just a free-for-all medal grab unless enough clubs or school agitate for an explicit rule (as in IGSSA)

Of greater concern is the swapping in and out between heats and finals. I've heard nothing from my sources so perhaps being NSW champs the usual offenders were more cautious than before?

And can someone who was there paint the picture of what happened to the Scots VIII? which seemingly rowed down a pond of its own, largely filled with KT's tears.

One last point of interest from Colonel M about the agony of waiting in the stands when no splits are up on the board - I agree it's excruciating. Many school regattas have volunteers doing those jobs, not officials. I've heard rumblings and grumblings about RNSW being desperate for BROs and other help lately. Maybe the huts were empty.

Lets not start it up again on the swapping in and out of rowers between heats and finals. I am still waiting for proof of the last time that a school was accused. Also it was not possible to swap in and out rowers in this regatta as the fours only had straight finals except for the 1st IV of which the school that i assume is being accused wasn't rowing in that event.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Lets not start it up again on the swapping in and out of rowers between heats and finals. I am still waiting for proof of the last time that a school was accused. Also it was not possible to swap in and out rowers in this regatta as the fours only had straight finals except for the 1st IV of which the school that i assume is being accused wasn't rowing in that event.

A specific school was not accused, ever; and the times it happened (and it DID happen) more than one school was guilty. Your assumption is your own private affair. As one who did not see the weekend's racing up close I merely asked the question again.

Knowledge

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots 1st VIII stroke passed out after finishing 2nd in MU19 final Saturday morning and was replaced with a 3rd IVs rower. I wouldn't be too concerned about KT's tears, my understanding is that the only regatta he has in focus is HOTR and I suspect he is very much liking being the underdog. Beware the old saying of ''he who laughs last always laughs loudest''

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scots 1st VIII stroke passed out after finishing 2nd in MU19 final Saturday morning and was replaced with a 3rd IVs rower. I wouldn't be too concerned about KT's tears, my understanding is that the only regatta he has in focus is HOTR and I suspect he is very much liking being the underdog. Beware the old saying of ''he who laughs last always laughs loudest''

Interesting. Will KT have his Kieran Perkins moment?

L

LBA

There is another saying - a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Joeys Regatta - Scots 1st VIII was +8.98 off the pace - PLC/Kings/Rowing NSW Scots 1st VIII was +12.88 and at the State Champs Scots 1st VIII +12.38 off the pace.

So is that a coaching strategy - don't train to win and gauge your progress against your components in lead up events just paddle and then on the "Big Day" go out hard close the margins and win.

Not sure I would bank on that - I am actually thinking of two little words knob jockey.

It is fact or fiction that it also good to actually turn up at least five minutes race starts other wise it starts without you.

Upset I missed the racing over the three days. How were the conditions ? I did hear there were extra wind monitoring devices on course.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
If this is the strategy then very ordinary. Scots as a school are on the nose when it comes to their sports philosophy so lets hope Shore chew em up and spit em out....

MR

L

LBA

MR I really don't think you have to wait - Shore is not in Scots league. Shore have gone past go collected $200.

Whilst I don't think I would say game set and match to Shore - it is not over until it is over but the margins as they stand at this point in time put them in a strong position.

Sickness, injury, catching a crab, rigger popping off - I remember saying a long time ago - sometimes it is the crew that makes the least amount of mistakes on the day that wins.

Like any performance they cannot all be perfect. Little errors can occur all the time.

I am still so happy I got to use Knob Jockey in a posting I hope I did it in an acceptable manner.

L

LBA

Last page of the draw -

11. Crews & scullers must report to the starter at least 5 minutes before the starting time of the 1st race of their event. :p

Also it looks like random coxswain weigh- in's.

It will be interesting to see how the GPS crews go against SRC/MOSM VIII in Race 44 MO +8 got some serious muscle in that boat.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Last page of the draw -

11. Crews & scullers must report to the starter at least 5 minutes before the starting time of the 1st race of their event. :p

Also it looks like random coxswain weigh- in's.

It will be interesting to see how the GPS crews go against SRC/MOSM VIII in Race 44 MO +8 got some serious muscle in that boat.

I beleive that eight is the NSW Youth VIII competing at the interstate regatta, will certainly be interesting if a schoolboy crew can come close

L

LBA

If my research is right - great to see that crew is made up of some old GPS rowers.
Interstate Regatta ? Are you referring to Nationals coming up also referred to as SIRR?

Speaking of SIRR that is not far away and it is only secured at SIRC until 2017. Wonder where it will held after that?

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
If my research is right - great to see that crew is made up of some old GPS rowers.
Interstate Regatta ? Are you referring to Nationals coming up also referred to as SIRR?

Speaking of SIRR that is not far away and it is only secured at SIRC until 2017. Wonder where it will held after that?

SIRR has the australian open champs (club), australian school champs, and the interstate regatta (and formally world cup 1) within the regatta, the interstate is straight after the schoolboy finals on the Sunday
I would guess back to lake Barrington in Tasmania?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Oh... So it wasn't secret motors in oars and just plain old 'we'll turn up to the start in our own good time'? Damn!

The Sydney crew looks like a Youth VIII, walks like a Youth VIII and will probably race like one BUT it isn't official yet. There's some serious talent in there but there must be some final adjustments before its promulgated.

As another observation, the other crew with Hicks in stroke looks crackingly fast too. No doubt, SRC want to win this one at their own regatta!

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
I beleive that eight is the NSW Youth VIII competing at the interstate regatta, will certainly be interesting if a schoolboy crew can come close

It's a pity Shore doesn't go in the open 8+s at Sydney. If we cross reference results from States Shore versus MGS in the CSB8+ and then MGS getting silver in the MU218+ ahead of the Sydney 8+ which had 6 of the proposed Youth Eight crew on board, I think Shore would give that Youth Eight a run for their money. The challenge of the Youth Eights are: post HSC and schoolies traumas, plugging scullers in with only a few sessions available and in general a short time to gel. Secondly erg scores are similar to the top GPS crews.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the SRC 8+ got the silver in the U218+ behind Toowong/Commercial. Be great to see Shore in there but looks like Joeys and Newington (one more?) are the only ones squaring up. Pretty sure these guys are getting pretty fit now. Would be good to see them against each other... Jennings has other plans... Doesn't want to overcook the goose!

Status
Not open for further replies.