• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The only thing I'll say is that you've signed Tui on the expectation that he'll have minimal gametime.

With the 2 Wallaby incumbents and a quality Super Rugby player in Neville, alongside Adam K who can cover lock for a 10-15 minute burst.

Whereas of those 4, now you're down to Neville and Simmons.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The only thing I'll say is that you've signed Tui on the expectation that he'll have minimal gametime.

With the 2 Wallaby incumbents and a quality Super Rugby player in Neville, alongside Adam K who can cover lock for a 10-15 minute burst.

Whereas of those 4, now you're down to Neville and Simmons.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

I have no problem at all with the Red depth at lock. Fabulous investment. I'm very much hoping that Tui and Matwijou have Neville nervous, and the ultimate return of Douglas shakes 'em all up again. This is a very good thing.

My nod goes to Matwijou on the bench for now. Tui will get bench time sooner or later.

Korczyk at lock is fine to open up his flexibility, but I'm looking for him to impact the loosies, including a jumping game. He's a future starter at 6/7 for me.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It wasn't intended to be a negative assessment of the Reds lock stocks dru, more a comment on the relevant development of LLT. He's a player for the future. Along the lines of the original plan was for him to maybe get a game or two at the end after the JWC, with Neville, Simmons and Douglas rotating through beforehand to keep the latter two fresh for the June Internationals.

With a couple of injuries, he might be required, but while you have 3 mature bodies, why would you throw someone like LLT into the game unless one of them was carrying a few niggles?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
It wasn't intended to be a negative assessment of the Reds lock stocks dru, more a comment on the relevant development of LLT. He's a player for the future. Along the lines of the original plan was for him to maybe get a game or two at the end after the JWC, with Neville, Simmons and Douglas rotating through beforehand to keep the latter two fresh for the June Internationals.

With a couple of injuries, he might be required, but while you have 3 mature bodies, why would you throw someone like LLT into the game unless one of them was carrying a few niggles?
Tui came off the u20's with bit of a shoulder injury, didn't look good. Did see him after the game, but not in a sling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Thats sort of professional rugby dont you think? Most would have thought he would have the jump on Mawijou but it hasnt worked that way. I think. Once Douglas is back, and presuming he stays, it isnt hard to see some changes.

The Douglas purchase seems like opportunism rather than a planned strategy. Good business even if the back up locks have more to climb.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
My attempt to stay true to my resolution is repentance through publicly voicing the positive. I suspect these might get a little repetitive but what the hell. /snip

This was a really good post.

The Reds are doing so many things well as a franchise, ticking off nearly all the boxes fans want to see. They're engaged with the grassroots, they're bringing local talent through onto the big stage, making smart signings, they're pushing the boundaries in getting content out, do a good job communicating with their fans. All those little things that usually put a team in a position to regularly compete.

The problem really is as simple as having arguably the worst coach in the history of Super Rugby running the show. No apparent gameplan, no ability to develop players at this level, and seemingly no ability to retain players. I just can't see any of the other Australian franchises - no great models for good management, mind - letting their best player leave at age 23. As soon as Graham goes there is going to be a very, very, quick turnaround.

The foundations for long term success are all in place, I think you can be pretty confident in your future.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
only a snippet but an interesting one about gill

" The 23-year-old reportedly made the decision after being overlooked as stand-in skipper for Slipper "

Damnit.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This was a really good post.

The Reds are doing so many things well as a franchise, ticking off nearly all the boxes fans want to see. They're engaged with the grassroots, they're bringing local talent through onto the big stage, making smart signings, they're pushing the boundaries in getting content out, do a good job communicating with their fans. All those little things that usually put a team in a position to regularly compete.

The problem really is as simple as having arguably the worst coach in the history of Super Rugby running the show. No apparent gameplan, no ability to develop players at this level, and seemingly no ability to retain players. I just can't see any of the other Australian franchises - no great models for good management, mind - letting their best player leave at age 23. As soon as Graham goes there is going to be a very, very, quick turnaround.

The foundations for long term success are all in place, I think you can be pretty confident in your future.

Is anyone arguing for another coach to be the worst super rugby coach in history. I think his statistics especially with the talent he has coached proves it beyond argument

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is anyone arguing for another coach to be the worst super rugby coach in history. I think his statistics especially with the talent he has coached proves it beyond argument

its not just at the Reds.
Have a look at his CV, both in England and then at the Force
Plenty of Wooden Spoons there and not much winning.
Makes you wonder who hes been screwing

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
only a snippet but an interesting one about gill

" The 23-year-old reportedly made the decision after being overlooked as stand-in skipper for Slipper "

Damnit.

He really doesn't strike me as the sort of player that would make a decision on that basis. It can hardly as come as a surprise given Simmons was VC last year. And how long would it take to negotiate a French contract? Seems like from start to finish may take a bit longer than the few weeks since the leadership was announced.

On the other hand is the long running issues with the head coach and strong rumours he may not have even been at the Reds this season.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
He really doesn't strike me as the sort of player that would make a decision on that basis. It can hardly as come as a surprise given Simmons was VC last year. And how long would it take to negotiate a French contract? Seems like from start to finish may take a bit longer than the few weeks since the leadership was announced.

On the other hand is the long running issues with the head coach and strong rumours he may not have even been at the Reds this season.

Maybe during negotiations he told the teams chasing him (I suspect more than 1) that he did not want to leave if he could be captain.

As soon as he missed out his decision was easy.

T

TOCC

Goromaru only signed for one season, never expected him to be here for more then then. He is reportedly earning more then Carter these days mostly through endorsements, Reds salary accounts for barely 5% of his annual salary, moving to Toulon will skyrocket him into he stratosphere rugby player salaries.

Amazing how this has all come from 4 games at the RWC.

Edit to the last comment on Gill, he could be back in mid 2018 according to the courier mail article.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
How many games will Graham last?

Quote this post with your answer and I will have Gagger send the winner/s a stubby cooler*.

The whole bloody season. Unfortunately. The good ole boys club will prevail. We need a countdown clock to RG's final day.

*Prize to be shipped by the Reds Membership team and likely be "lost", you might get it for the start of next season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Goromaru only signed for one season, never expected him to be here for more then then. He is reportedly earning more then Carter these days mostly through endorsements, Reds salary accounts for barely 5% of his annual salary, moving to Toulon will skyrocket him into he stratosphere rugby player salaries.

Edit to the last comment on Gill, he could be back in mid 2018 according to the courier mail article.

Gilly is terrific - nut professional rugby waits for no man. He clearly has at least Hooper and Pocock well ahead of him. Others will emerge over the next 2 or 3 years. There is a possibility that Pocock may return (only rumors) to QLD. If so, would the Reds re-sign Liam.

Gilly leaving had RG all over the decision together with the fact that both Hooper and Pocock were ahead of him in Wallaby contention. Good luck Liam - make buckets of Francs

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Good luck to him, but that's plainly ridiculous. The bloke had a good game against a lackluster Springboks and apart from a dead-eye from the kicking tee, doesn't seem to offer anything above other outside backs plying their trade.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Don't think Goromaru will start the season but do think he and Hunt will be in the best 15 and would like both starting with Hunt at 12 or 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.