• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Schoolboy 7s Rugby at Scots– 26 March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Schoolboy 7s Rugby at Scots– 26 March 2016

Scots College, Sydney is hosting a Schoolboy Rugby 7s tournament on Easter Saturday, 26 March 2016.

12 x Opens teams and 6 x Prep teams will be competing.

Girl’s schools, Kambala and SCEGGS, will play an exhibition match.

The Aussie 7s team will run a skills clinic.

It’s a free event and a great day out for the whole family.

The teams will be announced shortly.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Kings college from Auckland are heading over for it! I imagine they'll be alright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
And this Saturday 12th March, St Augustine's College again host a Schoolboys 7s Opens tournament at Rat Park, Narrabeen from 12pm onwards.
Teams involved include: Oakhill, Trinity, Kinross, Redfield, St Patrick's, St Paul's, St Andrews, Blue Mountains etc.
Should be a fantastic afternoon of Rugby 7s. All are welcome along.

Last year at this time the GPS and CAS schools were guests at this very same tournament - so great to see them holding their own 7s tournament in a couple of weeks.
Fantastic opportunity to spread the word about Schoolboys 7s with the current interest leading up to Rio in August.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I can recall Scots 7s being run each year back to 2012, but may have started earlier

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Last year at this time the GPS and CAS schools were guests at this very same tournament - so great to see them holding their own 7s tournament in a couple of weeks.
Fantastic opportunity to spread the word about Schoolboys 7s with the current interest leading up to Rio in August.
If they specifically wanted GPS schools to attend it might have been a good idea not to schedule it for the same day as the GPS head of the river.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
If they specifically wanted GPS schools to attend it might have been a good idea not to schedule it for the same day as the GPS head of the river.

GPS Head of the River is this Saturday 12 March.

Scots 7s Rugby as Saturday 26 March

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Schoolboy 7s Rugby at Scots

The teams and match schedule can be found in the following word docs...

Attachments

• Scots 7s opens matches.docx
    25.3 KB · Views: 632
  • Scots 7s prep matches.docx
    22.9 KB · Views: 465

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I did hear something about the Scots 7's having sponsors and some of the other GPS schools find this offensive and will not partake.

Anyone know anything about this?

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
I did hear something about the Scots 7's having sponsors and some of the other GPS schools find this offensive and will not partake.

Why would the other schools take offence in the tournament having sponsors?

Also, interesting to see that this year probably features the most number of GPS schools since the tournament's inception (including the return of High, who I believe will be in for a long afternoon).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aust Schoolboys and NSW Schoolboys are sponsored entities now. Will the principled AAGPS schools prevent their players from playing in those teams because of the commercial tainting from sponsorship?

The Heads of the AAGPS have accepted that there can be anomalies to their own Code of Conduct agreement. There is no moral high ground left to occupy.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I guess it depends on where the money goes. For the Rep Schoolboys, the sponsorship is there to cover the costs of running the tournament and reducing the amount that the boys have to pay to be there for the week.

For the Scots tournament, does the money just end up in the hands of the Scots rugby program enabling to create an even bigger advantage?

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)

The rumour, I heard a couple of years back, was that scots wanted to place sponsorship on the invited schools jerseys. This led to a number of schools refusing to participate.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^World Rugby insists on that for its tournaments, so why shouldn't those seeking to be worlds best practice?:)

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
^^^World Rugby insists on that for its tournaments, so why shouldn't those seeking to be worlds best practice?:)
My memory of the RWC is no doubt different to yours, I can't remember advertising on the players jerseys.
Some of the schools seem to think that they should control what is on their own jerseys.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
In junior league half the time you see jerseys sporting the local pub as a sponsor

For what it's worth scots does a great job raising money for their rugby programme ... After all $250 a ticket for the fundraiser and discount for a table of 10 ... Cost $2500 is nil.

And unlike aru ... The money does seem to filter down to the minions

As opposed to be retained in head office and the upper echelons

Wondering when scots and auggies will get beyond previous dramas ...

Shame these 2 sevens days ( both excellent ) are building seperately

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
The Scots 7s tournament has always been one that aims to include schools outside the GPS, with teams from interstate and overseas often participating. It is not meant to be 'The GPS 7s'. Also, my understanding is that at least some of the GPS schools not attending actually can't attend because they have rugby camps or are on tour at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.