• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - Round 2, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs were lucky not to have another one or two cards during that match (Folau, Lousi, Lucas)....

I can't recall a situation where the Brumbies warranted a yellow? They were far better disciplined than last week...

Take off the rose coloured glasses. If the Tahs hadn't been so blatant with their offending the Brumbies would have achieved their usual KPI in penalty numbers fro diving off feet at the ruck in particular. The Brmbies locks seem to be the regular offenders missing the target completely and ending up lying at the back of the ruck.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The simple fact is that no team can win a professional rugby competition without at least having parity at the scrum.

They've been training for weeks, one would assume that scrummaging would have been a significant part of this??? There's always room for improvement, but you'd like to think that we'd have this stuff sorted before the competition starts.

You would have thought they'd have coverage at prop (only 4 props in the squad) and a decent third string hooker given that it is very safe money to bet TPN injuring himself at some stage and missing at least a few games. once the personnel issue was missed the coaching issues get exacerbated.

I'd also say that Douglas has never been adequately replaced. Mumm is not a 2nd rower, being just like Denis a 6 who can do coverage duty and his form has been pretty low this year after have career best form last year and making me re-assess my view of him.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That's Richard Graham type optimism right there. You can have him if you want.

Happy to stand by it. This team has been in the top 2 for the last two years, and we've had plenty of bumps on the way like tonight (in fact I remember a similar loss in Canberra in the early rounds of 2014).

I don't think we are as good as we were in 2014 or 2015, but I don't think we're as broken as some on here are making out.

I do think the Brumbies are very good, and to put the pen through our season based on a close-ish loss in Canberra is a mistake.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Take off the rose coloured glasses. If the Tahs hadn't been so blatant with their offending the Brumbies would have achieved their usual KPI in penalty numbers fro diving off feet at the ruck in particular. The Brmbies locks seem to be the regular offenders missing the target completely and ending up lying at the back of the ruck.

Oh, OK........ that's a reasonable argument.

:rolleyes:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Happy to stand by it. This team has been in the top 2 for the last two years, and we've had plenty of bumps on the way like tonight (in fact I remember a similar loss in Canberra in the early rounds of 2014).

I don't think we are as good as we were in 2014 or 2015, but I don't think we're as broken as some on here are making out.

I do think the Brumbies are very good, and to put the pen through our season based on a close-ish loss in Canberra is a mistake.

The Tahs definitely look like finals contenders, but they're just missing that edge to get them to the top two or four at this stage, having lost Cheika and a few other key players..........

Robinson and Foley will definitely improve things, but I feel like they're carrying a bit of dead weight in the squad right now.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
An outstanding game of rugby, well done both sides.

Brumby Jack was quite correct in his summary on the blog, it was closer than the score suggests, much closer. Somewhat similar to the RWC final when Oz got to 17-21 with 15 to go, when the score was 8 all tonight after the Tahs had battled through half the first half with 14 men I thought they had the measure of the Brumbies. And there also was a blowout score at the very death.

The return match in Sydney will be very interesting. But, the Tahs simply MUST improve their scrummaging. It grieves me deeply to observe both Tilse and Ryan haven't improved as they enter their late 20s, supposedly the best years for props. Added to Robinson's waning it doesn't look good. Why Michael Ala'alatoa's services weren't required I'll never know.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In any case, titles aren't won in March, but there is a shitload of work for the Tahs to do on that set piece. And if TPN is rooted, its up to Roach, because Latu doesn't seem interested in staying on the field.

Spot on Pfitzy!

Latu cited for punching / striking To'omua in the 57th minute. Seems keen for a holiday already.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Fucking Foxtel. Always make the recordings start early enough to ruin the score line of the game before, but miss enough at the end so I miss the last try in this game.

So who is in charge of prop recruitment for the Brumbies? Get him in the national setup, because clearly has a nose for some premium prop meat. To have your reserve front row come on and push over a penalty try is outstanding. Wonder how many times it has happened before.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Fucking Foxtel. Always make the recordings start early enough to ruin the score line of the game before, but miss enough at the end so I miss the last try in this game.

So who is in charge of prop recruitment for the Brumbies? Get him in the national setup, because clearly has a nose for some premium prop meat. To have your reserve front row come on and push over a penalty try is outstanding. Wonder how many times it has happened before.

It really shits me when the recording ends early, especially if they are having a "post game show".

Make it one program and there would be no issue

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Amazing atmosphere last night
a9507cb947a2252b54712dfc88a7e679.jpg

f353ebae5de1ff0f7557a5ebf5985037.jpg

Apart from an elderly guy falling on me! I thought a fight had started behind me, he collapsed and his head slammed into the back of mine! He said he was ok but seemed very dazed! Reckons he just slipped and was actually ok. Doesn't happen every day!!!
Brumbies too good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Here's a still Latu doing fist pumps but unfortunately To'omua's face got in the way.

Cubelli showed great pace to leave the scene.

Latu.png

T

TOCC

Here's a still Latu doing fist pumps but unfortunately To'omua's face got in the way.

Cubelli showed great pace to leave the scene.

View attachment 7499

I thought it was actually Louisi that got To'omua, but there was no real footage as both players were in the middle of the mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As a neutral quite enjoyed that game, maybe saw it a little different to a few though. Not sure the game was closer than score indicates, I thought the Brumbies looked quite a distance the better team on the night (mind youLind I thought the WC final was a good indication of game too). The game showed how important it is for fatties to get on top, makes it bloody hard for rest to really operate if they having to do tighties work. Good to see Pocock had learnt that the refs are looking at the release really hard now so it maybe time for him to adjust his game, if refs keep it up we probably won't see him making the turnovers that he used to, and his main strength of being second man to tackle where he locked onto ball as player went down gets nullified a bit, but he a good player and like Richie if you watch he will just adapt game.
Can I say I think Hooper is maturing into a good captain, was never a huge fan of him being a captain, but he seems to growing into it nicely and listening to him talk, he certainly seems to be getting the whole feel for the game a lot better now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
An outstanding game of rugby, well done both sides.

Brumby Jack was quite correct in his summary on the blog, it was closer than the score suggests, much closer. Somewhat similar to the RWC final when Oz got to 17-21 with 15 to go, when the score was 8 all tonight after the Tahs had battled through half the first half with 14 men I thought they had the measure of the Brumbies. And there also was a blowout score at the very death.

The return match in Sydney will be very interesting. But, the Tahs simply MUST improve their scrummaging. It grieves me deeply to observe both Tilse and Ryan haven't improved as they enter their late 20s, supposedly the best years for props. Added to Robinson's waning it doesn't look good. Why Michael Ala'alatoa's services weren't required I'll never know.

Does Michael know how to go straight to ground when the ball is fed so that the scrum won't get shoved up its own backside?;)

Tahs were more competitive than I thought they would be, but they were very cynical in collapsing the scrum under the new interpretation that it is allowed to continue if there is no apparent risk of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.