• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not massively concerned by KB (Kurtley Beale) and Gill going elsewhere. As others have said, we have structures in place to build the depth required to continue to be a top tier rugby nation. The NRC will pay dividends for years to come in terms of creating the pathway to higher honours for young players around the country. In fact, you could say it already is. The inside back and prop positions are the least well served at the moment but there are also good young prospects coming through to bolster the good players we already have. The may be some short term pain but I'd rather be us than a few other countries right now.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Kepu and Giteau won't play in the Rugby Championship, Cheika has already said that due to the long season they have had rolling from the RWC to European Rugby with little break.

I'd be very surprised if Kepu wasn't brought in for the Bledisloe Cup games. Cheika will want to throw everything at it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think concentrating purely on the test side misses a very big problem for SANZAAR. The loss of these top tier players in their prime basically devalues Super Rugby. Next year I fear Australian sides will struggle, their first 15 might make the cut but the bench and wider squad will be very thin on in some key positions.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Also have to factor in how attractive that offer is when young talent contemplates going to League or Union. Beale will have his cake and eat it too. Earning about 1.5m a season, living in Europe and still representing Australia has got to turn heads.

Alas, the Waratahs will not be the same without him though.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty sure Chieka was referring to the June tests not the RC.

Yeh it was no selections for england tests. except genia due to his limited playing time. With speight doing 7s, tomane overseas by that stage and naivalu not eligible yet, I can defs see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) getting a call up for the RC squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a pretty bleak picture of winger prospects you're painting there. Just to clarify, won't the Olympics have finished by the time the RC comes around. Or are you predicting that Henry Speight won't be up to test level after playing the back end of the season in 7s?

And isn't it the case that Super Rugby/Aus Rugby contracts terminate at the end of December unless early release is agreed? If so, i'd be surprised if Tomane is not available for the RC.

Those aside, there isn't a lot to excite in the wing department atm. Looks like Rob Horne and one of Morahan or Shipperley if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Mitchell aren't brought back in. Of course, one alternative might be to play DHP on the wing as a sort of Ben Smith look-alike.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Henry would surely be missing the majority, if not all, of the pre-RC trainings so that might rule him out at least for the initial rounds.

Tomane should be around unless he elects to head over early and start brushing up on his French. Wish he wasn't going - most athletic winger that's been up to test selection for the last few years.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Most guys going overseas get an early release so that they can start their northern hemisphere comp on time. Never get made to stay here until December, because that would mean they wouldnt be able to commit up north..

They might get Speight in eventually but I think theyll just wait to take him on the UK tour.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Actually I may be totally wrong about Tomane.

I didn't realize that the Top 14 season starts in August, looks about the same time as TRC kicks off. That may even put June Tests into question given the preseason period must start in July at the latest?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can't see the Brumbies releasing him in or before July. I'd say it's a fair bet he will miss their preseason and maybe a good bit of the season itself if Cheika wants him for the RC.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
True, I hadn't thought about the end of the Super Rugby season running through to August.

I'm not sure what the implications would be regarding the ARU overriding part of his contract unless they were paying Montpellier for it.

T

TOCC

Further rumours of player frustration at Montpellier under Jake White, Nic White reportedly wants out of his contract with 2 years left. He hasn't been a regular starter so probably chasing more game time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Henry would surely be missing the majority, if not all, of the pre-RC trainings so that might rule him out at least for the initial rounds.

Tomane should be around unless he elects to head over early and start brushing up on his French. Wish he wasn't going - most athletic winger that's been up to test selection for the last few years.
We predicting Speights going to make the 7 team, 8 weeks out id say his a long shot to make it now...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Out of personal curiosity, I made a list of foreign "Aussies" playing overseas.

Didn't include Super Sides, or Club Sides, or States. I only Covered Top League, Pro12, Championship, Premiership, Top 14, ProD2 and Super Rugby. Because NPC and Currie Cup are bloody awful navigating, and anything else is useless. Could also be incomplete or inaccurate, it's me wasting an hour or two.

Attachments

• foreign aussies.xlsx
    16.1 KB · Views: 384

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Out of personal curiosity, I made a list of foreign "Aussies" playing overseas.

Didn't include Super Sides, or Club Sides, or States. I only Covered Top League, Pro12, Championship, Premiership, Top 14, ProD2 and Super Rugby. Because NPC and Currie Cup are bloody awful navigating, and anything else is useless. Could also be incomplete or inaccurate, it's me wasting an hour or two.

Great work. Thanks Highlander.