• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not getting the logic behind starting Palu, hopefully he'll prove me wrong but Holloway seems the goods. Why not keep giving him game time to develop? Palu would be best used off the bench one would think?

I think Cliff will be used for the first half hour to try and make some impact early and then Holloway will play the remainder of the game.

Seems to fit with wanting to bash them early in a physical forwards battle and then knowing the game is likely to open up in the second half where Holloway has been really effective running in the wider channels.

How Angus Ta'avau has kept his spot in the front row is beyond me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The alternative was Ryan at THP or Robertson starting the game in his debut. I can only assume there is an issue with Benn Robinson still which is why he's not in the matchday 23.

Aside from giving away 3 dumb penalties in general play against the Brumbies, his scrummaging has been better than Ryan and Tilse. He's not the greatest at scrum time but he's the best THP we have in our squad.

Probably because the alternative (I assume Tilse) is not much better.

Tilse is the LHP reserve.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Tilse is the LHP reserve.

Thought I saw him on the THP side in the last few matches, but yea agree that Paddy would be the alternate THP.

Still, my observation stands irrespective of the individual. I don't think the alternative is up to the mark.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I mentioned this on the Reds forum, the Tahs have set there sights on luring Talakai back after next season. Unlucky with game time due to Holmes great start to the season but Stiles has huge wraps on him, seeing him as Holmes long term replacement. Will be filthy to see him pinched back if so.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I mentioned this on the Reds forum, the Tahs have set there sights on luring Talakai back after next season. Unlucky with game time due to Holmes great start to the season but Stiles has huge wraps on him, seeing him as Holmes long term replacement. Will be filthy to see him pinched back if so.
I get this. 100%. But.........
Players who aspire to Super Rugby and higher want to start, not ride the pine. There careers are relatively short and they want to maximise them, so this is the reality. But it does suck sometimes.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I get this. 100%. But...
Players who aspire to Super Rugby and higher want to start, not ride the pine. There careers are relatively short and they want to maximise them, so this is the reality. But it does suck sometimes.
Yeah not sure how Aloatua X 2 were missed, and Sio. All 3 could be seen coming yet Tilse was retained

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well I don't think the jury can stay out on Cam Blades as a forwards coach much longer. What a truly abysmal display. So much for the coaches "spending a lot of time on scrums" through the week. Then the truly damning statistic of losing 3 of 4 lineouts, and conceding a very simple set piece try from the lineout due to a total inability to even pretend to pressure the opposition throw. He should donate his wages to charity and resign because to continue is tantamount to fraud, pretending to be a professional level coach. Add to that whoever deciding the Tahs recruitment strategies leaving no scrummaging props and no authorative lineout forwards in the entire squad.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Well I don't think the jury can stay out on Cam Blades as a forwards coach much longer. What a truly abysmal display. So much for the coaches "spending a lot of time on scrums" through the week. Then the truly damning statistic of losing 3 of 4 lineouts, and conceding a very simple set piece try from the lineout due to a total inability to even pretend to pressure the opposition throw. He should donate his wages to charity and resign because to continue is tantamount to fraud, pretending to be a professional level coach. Add to that whoever deciding the Tahs recruitment strategies leaving no scrummaging props and no authorative lineout forwards in the entire squad.

Dave Dennis is past his use by date. Paddy Ryan not much better. Cliffy is a bench player now. Time to clean out the deadwood. Not convinced about the claims of Ta'avo either.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Dave Dennis is past his use by date. Paddy Ryan not much better. Cliffy is a bench player now. Time to clean out the deadwood. Not convinced about the claims of Ta'avo either.

Like I said a few weeks ago, I quizzed a Blue supporter (ex-prop from NZ) I know about Ta'avao and scrummaging and the bastard nearly needed CPR he laughed so hard. Ryan is regressed massively since last year. Blades is proving his lack as a forwards coach IMO. I never rated Denis very highly and Mumm not much higher (though he outperformed in Wallaby colours last year).

I still think that Gibson has made some massive mistakes this year in terms of recruitment, not only in players but in bringing in Blades. He needed a proven forwards coach. Hopefully he can learn from them, because the Tahs will be lucky to finish third in the conference this year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Blades, but gee some forward planning up front and that ain't Blades fault. Tah's yet again missed out on some good Aussie cattle coming through.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well that was dreadful. The first half the Tahs looked like a mad womans shit. Cliffy may be a club legend but it's time to admit he's cooked. Holloway needs a mortgage on that jumper NOW. Folau needs to stay back and deter the opposition from constantly kicking to him. Sitting him in the front line just gives them an out by hoofing it down the park.
Horwitz is showing some inexperience in his game, I would like to see Horne and Carraro in the centres with Robinson and Guildford on the wings. The momentum turned completely when Dempsey, Holloway, Robertson and Lousi arrived

Skelton's play is completely uninspiring and should be sat square on the bench to get him hungry again, his mortgage on the jersey has only made him lazy. Mumm had tits for hands in the first half. Lousi was very impressive off the bench as was Roach. Did Robertson end up packing down in a scrum? From what I saw he should get a few more minutes (considering Ta'avao scrums like a Smart-Car in mud). Matty Lucas played a pretty static shift off the bench as well, wouldn't mind seeing more of what he can inject a bit earlier into the game.

By any means the team needs a real shake up, the Reds next week is the game to do it. Lousi, Roach, Holloway and Robinson should get a start in Brisbane.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Roach packed 1 scrum. Tilse and Robinson packed none. I doubt many changes will occur. Only one I'm expecting is Holloway > Palu.
If anyone saw the set piece the Highlanders actually just wanted to win their own ball clean, to play. However, Waratahs had only 1 scrum feed from memory and you can guess how that ended up. They will need everything in Brisbane next week.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Roach packed 1 scrum. Tilse and Robinson packed none. I doubt many changes will occur. Only one

Well the scrum cant possibly get any worse than it has been... Maybe if we picked Phipps and Lucas for props and Skelton at hooker?

Status
Not open for further replies.