• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If Fisher is coming to the Reds I hope that he is in a position to work with the board and staff to ensure he has in place what he requires and he does not have to start doing his thing next year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fisher has another year on his Gloucester contract, and has expressed a preference to not coach another Australian team against the Brumbies...........

So there would need to be a lot of cash thrown his way, a deal brokered with Gloucester to release him from his contract, and/or possibly a seat at Cheika's roundtable to entice him to Ballymore.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yeah. What Slim said. Lets wait for the coach to be named before we start telling him what to do.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Now that I've managed to gather a few names I can confirm a lot of the talk that's has been talked about in regards to returning players. The QRU are currently in talks with;

Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Leroy Houston
Ita Vaea
Junior Rasolea
Liam Gill (backflip)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I also heard that Jono Lance actually sounded out the Reds about a return before taking the Force offer. Seems like that should have been a no brainier but you never know with the QRU

This is the most disappointing thing I've heard since they re-appointed RG.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Now that I've managed to gather a few names I can confirm a lot of the talk that's has been talked about in regards to returning players. The QRU are currently in talks with;

Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Leroy Houston
Ita Vaea
Junior Rasolea
Liam Gill (backflip)

And this is the most optimistic exciting thing I've heard since they removed RG!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Leroy Houston
Ita Vaea
Junior Rasolea
Liam Gill (backflip)

knowing who's doing the negotiating and player recruitment, a couple of these really surprise me.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Leroy Houston
Ita Vaea
Junior Rasolea
Liam Gill (backflip)

Junior Rasolea has signed with Edinburgh.........

Ita Vaea is signed on with the Brumbies for next year.........

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
knowing who's doing the negotiating and player recruitment, a couple of these really surprise me.

I'll probably get flogged on here but here goes:

Is QC (Quade Cooper) the right bloke to re-sign at the ridiculous money he somehow commands. IS HE going to magically fix the back-line issues.

He hasn't been great or even good (consistently) for the past few years at the Reds , hasn't (I believe) played well for Toulon (as it seems they are happy to let him go), hasn't been "great" in sevens (where I think most would have thought so).

I appreciate he is obviously better than Jake (ATM) but is he worth the dollars for what he brings to the field.

Genia is a different story as is Liam and Leroy,. Little question as to their value at Ballymore. Don't know about the other 2.

Good discussion point ???????

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
He hasn't been great or even good (consistently) for the past few years at the Reds , hasn't (I believe) played well for Toulon (as it seems they are happy to let him go), hasn't been "great" in sevens (where I think most would have thought so).

Disagree - Have you actually watched any of his games in 7's or just the media drumming it up. I've watched all his games and he's slotted in better than I thought he would. Yeah he missed a few tackles in some games but they all do.

I think he'd be a big asset to the Reds and great mentor to the young 10's we have ATM.

JM even said as much in an interview, how much he's picked up from QC (Quade Cooper) last year with regards to bossing the players around.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Disagree - Have you actually watched any of his games in 7's or just the media drumming it up. I've watched all his games and he's slotted in better than I thought he would. Yeah he missed a few tackles in some games but they all do.

I think he'd be a big asset to the Reds and great mentor to the young 10's we have ATM.

JM even said as much in an interview, how much he's picked up from QC (Quade Cooper) last year with regards to bossing the players around.

I did watch his first game (I think) where he did a shitty kick ib the early stages of the match, only to have the kick returned and chased by the kicker who burnt Quade for speed and scored a try.

I just thought he was really suited to the Sevens format but have the selectors agreed (not meant as a smart arse question)

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Geez write the guy off after his first game in 7's why don't you!

As mentioned on the GAGR pod this week, the new faces in the Thunderbolts squad have created good competition, the whole squad has lifted and are playing better than I've seen them play in a long time. No one is guaranteed a place but at least we're building a competitive squad that's now made the pointy end the last 3 tournaments.

Anyway, that was off on a tangent. Back to the Reds..

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think QC (Quade Cooper) at the Reds is his best fit. No one has come up with a better option.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think QC (Quade Cooper) at the Reds is his best fit. No one has come up with a better option.

Sure, QC (Quade Cooper) at the Reds works well. BUT QC (Quade Cooper) at the Reds for the $ he wants is another story.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Quade loves QLD and the Reds or at least that's how it seems to me. He has played arguably his best Rugby for the Reds. The fans love him and he is a great player in a position where we desperately need one.

Whether or not the Reds should sign him and whether or not he is good value for us depends entirely on how much money we have to spend to get him. I don't think its even worth speculating on what that sum may be so discussion about his worth or value to us is pretty much moot at this stage IMO.

I'd really love to see him back at the Reds though.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Agreed and given the big names that departed last year there must be a bit of cash left under the Salary Cap?

Fitting all those names above in though may be cause for a bit of creative accounting though!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I guess we all have different perceptions. I'm luke warm on Will. He's been fantastic, I really respect what he has done at the Reds but I'd like to see Frisbey given some rope.

Quade I think is a once in a generation player that you just lock in if you can. His value is more than his on-field ability. I have no doubt that he needs a solid environment and some consistent game time to get back to his best. Completely worth it in my mind. Reds is the place for him to do this.

You would need to know where you were in terms of coaching. No point bringing in either of these guys if you were talking White/Deans. It would be a waste of talent and inevitable head butt issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.