• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, wicks start a new season with 4 wins from 4 games . Not sure what happened in Colts but would presume the same.
There must be some serious depth in Wicks this year as quite a few top graders appeared in the lower half this week.
Number 5 in Fourths deserves a mention.
Thirds a quality team but will get caught short out wide if they give up turnovers.
Seconds had a huge battle but stuck to the task to come home strongly. Their two second rowers had good games.
Firsts looked excellent in patches but appeared slightly gun-shy at times and some aimless kicking nearly got them in a heap of trouble.

Still I imagine the coaches are satisfied with the day knowing the teams are capable of being better.
Credit to the Parramatta teams whose defence and discipline was strong for the most part.
The scores in the lower grades would have been much closer if Parra had held on to the ball.

JimmyLan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Colts won 3 from 3 but more importantly a couple of Injuries to Parra Boys. First neck injury scare in 3rd grade colts, however news is that the player pulled through the scans ok. The 1st grade Parra player, who went to hospital, Travis Dombroski fractured his C1 & C2 Vertebrae and possibly C4 as well. Everyone at the Wicks wishes him a speedy recovery. Hopefully Neck brace for 6 weeks should have him fully recovered.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Colts won 3 from 3 but more importantly a couple of Injuries to Parra Boys. First neck injury scare in 3rd grade colts, however news is that the player pulled through the scans ok. The 1st grade Parra player, who went to hospital, Travis Dombroski fractured his C1 & C2 Vertebrae and possibly C4 as well. Everyone at the Wicks wishes him a speedy recovery. Hopefully Neck brace for 6 weeks should have him fully recovered.
C1 & C2 fractures can be life ending.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Was this as a result of a tackle gone wrong/a ruck or a scrum? Very bad news to start the season.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes it was/is very serious, the information I have says the young man has dodged a bullet.

Yep. My wife works with spinal cord injuries and he is very lucky.
Kemble Leasu of Randwick aka The Big Show, was carted off in the last trial in a neck brace after being hit front on in a ruck. Won't play again but will make a full recovery. Club legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Wonder whether the rain will stop the Good Friday home game against Gordon.
The ground staff may have trouble getting set up for Rugby as it is still set up for cricket as of Sunday.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wicks forwards really stood up in 1sts today. The whole pack played strongly but especially the back rowers: Croke, Baldwin, Hanigan (best on field for mine), Armstrong (not far behind Hanigan) and Kellaway plus Munro when he came on. Deegan's best game in grade IMO, great link to outside backs. Is it my imagination or are the Wicks playing much flatter in the backline this year? Almost like the old days -- no more deep league type backlines like we saw in the Wade Kelly coaching era. Uni next week will be a big test of how well the Wicks will go this year.

BTW, new caterers at Coogee this year.
Any feedback?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Who was Gordon's best sorry couldn't make today's game.

Well done on the win Randwick starting to see the benefits of the top Colts coming through.

Rucks and Mauls

Peter Burge (5)
Catering at Coogee is outstanding this year. Great B and E rolls, burgers and pork rolls. I was impressed!

Rucks and Mauls

Peter Burge (5)
Definitely Deegan's best game. Not trying to take on the line as much....and no chip and chases. Delivered to the outside backs well. Exactly what a number 10 of his size needs to do.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Wicks forwards really stood up in 1sts today. The whole pack played strongly but especially the back rowers: Croke, Baldwin, Hanigan (best on field for mine), Armstrong (not far behind Hanigan) and Kellaway plus Munro when he came on. Deegan's best game in grade IMO, great link to outside backs. Is it my imagination or are the Wicks playing much flatter in the backline this year? Almost like the old days -- no more deep league type backlines like we saw in the Wade Kelly coaching era. Uni next week will be a big test of how well the Wicks will go this year.
"
BTW, new caterers at Coogee this year.
Any feedback?
They were good however let's hope they are better than "flat track bullies" - they didn't look real flash against Parra

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Who was Gordon's best sorry couldn't make today's game.

Well done on the win Randwick starting to see the benefits of the top Colts coming through.

I thought the 13 (Simkin?) troubled the Wicks defence the most.

By my count, there were 8 players in the Wicks run on team today who played Colts at Randwick:
Nick Kellaway, Hanigan, Baldwin, Deegan, Pennington, Starkey, Anderson, Armstrong.
Croke (Lennox Head) played colts at Norths (?) and Boileau at Easts before coming straight into grade at Randwick.
Andrew Kellaway went straight into grade whilst at school I believe.
Roods was a Randwick junior before playing colts at Uni.
That leaves:
Nau from Dubbo
Satuala from West Harbour
Goodbody from Ireland
So the policy (?) of relying on youth seems to be paying off, but to be fair wins over Parra and Gordon should have been expected so its early days.

NB: Corrected after info from Shadow

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not quite the full house but never the less a very good crowd to see the Wicks clearly enjoying being on home soil.
43 -0 in fourth grade with the coach having more backup players than he could use. Kicking was down from last week and there was more running by the backs.
29-17 in thirds was a good hard hit out by the two teams. Gordon fought back but could not keep from giving penalties.
Second grade was a spirited game and the win by wicks at 33-0 is not a fair reflection of the effort Gordon put in. The 7's from both sides got the referee riled in the first half and there was a bit of heavy sledging but things settled in the second half for a very tough game.
At 50-14 the first grade turned it on with some good running. Given their youth they played in a mature manner and clearly enjoyed running at their rivals. Gordon produced two outstanding tries but could not match the ball retention of the Wicks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought the 13 (Simkin?) troubled the Wicks defence the most.

By my count, there were 8 players in the Wicks run on team today who played Colts at Randwick:
Nick Kellaway, Hanigan, Baldwin, Deegan, Pennington, Starkey, Anderson, Armstrong.
Croke (Lennox Head) played colts at Norths (?) and Boileau at Easts before coming straight into grade at Randwick.
Andrew Kellaway went straight into grade whilst at school I believe.
Roods was a Randwick junior before playing colts at Uni.
That leaves:
Nau from Dubbo
Satuala from West Harbour
Goodbody from Ireland
So the policy (?) of relying on youth seems to be paying off, but to be fair wins over Parra and Gordon should have been expected so its early days.

NB: Corrected after info from Shadow

Wasn't Pennington a Randwick Junior. That would make two local Randwick Juniors.

A Kellaway went straight into grade footy in his first year out of school, after his Aust U20 commitments were over.

Status
Not open for further replies.