• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't mind the big ball runners outside Quade. The issue is I don't think he will be there and I don't know if anyone else could use them the way he would. A second ball player somewhere in the backline is required. I'd like a Barnes type 12 who can slot in at 10 but has a bit of freedom away from the 10 role, also a pretty good kicking game.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Quades greatest asset was the threat of Digby coming off his inside hip. He could afford to drift a bit - as he had digby straightening the defence for him. No one fills that role at all atm.

With Digby holding the slide defence, the cut balls, dummies, normal passes were all 3x more effective

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Quades greatest asset was the threat of Digby coming off his inside hip. He could afford to drift a bit - as he had digby straightening the defence for him. No one fills that role at all atm.

With Digby holding the slide defence, the cut balls, dummies, normal passes were all 3x more effective

What chance Mogg could do the Digbie role? And Hunt second fly?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
apart from the BMI difference...

The problem is no body is running that inside line.. so lets not be greedy and ask for digby2.0 just anybody creating the question of the defence

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
8 Scott Higginbotham
7 Michael Gunn
6 Hendrick Tui
5 Kane Douglas
4 Rob Simmons
3 Sam Talakai
2 Stephen Moore
1 James Slipper

Reg, won't we lose Hendrick Tui this year? Being a Japanese international I thought he would have a 2 year limit on his contract.... or was that one of the 'allowances' the ARU made with Japanese players? I can't remember.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Reg, won't we lose Hendrick Tui this year? Being a Japanese international I thought he would have a 2 year limit on his contract.. or was that one of the 'allowances' the ARU made with Japanese players? I can't remember.

I've read, on here, that they're trying to renew him again for next year. Maybe because he was broken last year?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Shota was supposed to play for us in 2015, on his 3rd year. He injured his neck playing in the final of the top league, so we mutually agreed to end the contract. You'd probably be good to sign him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yup, I think a fairly sound argument would be made to keep him another year considering his first season was limited by injury

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sneaky mention of Cummins coming back to aus rugby at the Reds after 7s. Back to family in Qld. With tomane, mitchell & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) overseas, could be back in Gold potentially.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reg, won't we lose Hendrick Tui this year? Being a Japanese international I thought he would have a 2 year limit on his contract.. or was that one of the 'allowances' the ARU made with Japanese players? I can't remember.
SFR, I have read somewhere (probably here) that we were in discussions with the ARU to allow us to keep him an extra year.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

The Reds will confirm the Hendrick Tui signing in coming days. Maybe the Mowen call was just a back up plan but Tui will definitely be with the Reds next season.

If the Reds sign both Houston and Higginbotham it looks as though it's goodbye Schatz unless he is used as the 2nd Row/Backrow cover which could be very handy.

I'm also not sold on Gunn being the replacement for Gill at just this moment. I would rather Fakaosilea filling that void at 7.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The problem for whoever we play at 7 next year, unless we sign Pocock or similar, they are probably going to look pretty ineffective in comparison. Massive shoes to fill.

Jtrain89

Frank Row (1)
The issue that has dogged the Reds for years now is a lack of composure around the set piece and an unwillingness to really "get into" the opposition particularly around the breakdown.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds will confirm the Hendrick Tui signing in coming days. Maybe the Mowen call was just a back up plan but Tui will definitely be with the Reds next season.

If the Reds sign both Houston and Higginbotham it looks as though it's goodbye Schatz unless he is used as the 2nd Row/Backrow cover which could be very handy.

I'm also not sold on Gunn being the replacement for Gill at just this moment. I would rather Fakaosilea filling that void at 7.

if he gets a contract...

T

TOCC

If the Reds have Houston and Higgers as the backrowers then they definitely need someone like Gunn IMO..

Who is making the recruitment decisions, if it's not the Head Coach then who is dictating the playing roster for 2017?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Plenty of wild speculation on here about returnong players and new ones.

I wonder if the real powers that be are thinking similar thoughts ????

It seems that MOC is not excelling with the backs he has. Is that a them or he problem.

Until a single competent HC is appointed all we can hope for is a bit more improvement with what we have...

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Mowen has a similar skill set to Schatz, Higgers more so to Tui. Mowen and Higgers would probably be unnecessary if you a dead set on keeping Tui (which is the right thing to do I reckon). Personally I would keep Schatz (but tell him he's a 6 from now on) and buy Higgers. The real issue is we need at least 1 or 2 more 7's to prop up the depth. Gunn is good, but looking around for another legit on baller (scour the ITM maybe?) should be a priority. Gunny won't play every game. Him, Browning and another experienced recruit would be the minimum required (+squaddies)

Status
Not open for further replies.