• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Don't have to speculate given New & Waves have already played - can you tell us the Newington v Waverley 16As score when they played just before the holidays ? That way we can test your 30+ assertion & other prognostications. btw I think you meant their, not there, respective, not respected, unbelievably not unbelievable etc - not sure what year you are at school but more English study may be warranted.

The score was 39-19 and against Oakhill Newington won 41-0, despite this score Oakhill was extreme competitive in the second half. Newington also put on a good score of 41-7 in the 15As against Waverly. New 14As likewise had a good win against Waverly.
Having watched these Newington teams yesterday achieve good wins, I would say that Waverly is not weak, but rather the Newington A teams are extremely talented outfits that are well prepared. The same could be said of the Oakhill A teams.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
What forwards from the 16's were playing 'up' last year? And how were they not playing as a team?
Given your username I'm confident you know who they are. If you watched the match you would not be asking the Q. If not, I don't think it is helpful or fair to name 16yo boys in a critical capacity. On a positive note I know that the boys in question are very capable of producing a far better performance than was the case yesterday. This team has huge potential but they all need to work together. The "I know boats" syndrome based on having played 16s last year will win you exactly zero matches.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Indeed they did, but Waverley were missing 7 of their starting 15 that played against Riverview as they were involved in Harold Matts. It's a different team when the whole squad is there as we saw with their victory over Riverview.

I didn't realise wav's had 7 Harold matts players ?

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pretty accurate assessment of the game.
Trinity had plenty of chances to put points on but seems to lack that finishing touch.

Spelling is not my FORTE but speculating is and u will be a sore loser following your heart instead of your head ,any punter knows that. Murphy out for season for wavs so there's a huge loss for cas ,great player, plus most likely Harold matts boys didn't play due to league commitments against wav's, Any we can only wait and see but seriously if u think CAS can beat GPS u16s and ur right all credit to u ,throw in Dom Easy as another great addition for GPS , 20+ will be the result. Good luck.

Where did Dom Easy appear from ? Another Riverview product from the junior school or Year 7 ?

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Spelling is not my FORTE but speculating is and u will be a sore loser following your heart instead of your head ,any punter knows that. Murphy out for season for wavs so there's a huge loss for cas ,great player, plus most likely Harold matts boys didn't play due to league commitments against wav's, Any we can only wait and see but seriously if u think CAS can beat GPS u16s and ur right all credit to u ,throw in Dom Easy as another great addition for GPS , 20+ will be the result. Good luck.

...and forte should be lower case.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I disagree there is a huge difference between cas v GPS u16's this year, you only have to look at waves just beat view , scots beat view last week comfortably and are poor this year due to injuries and Kings beat scots by about 40 pts yesterday .View were strong last year but all there good players are in 1sts or 2 nds this year.
Newington will win the u16s this year and would put 30+ on waves or Knox, with a backline of McCabe , Lewis , Dellow , simmy and endermann and throw in one of the best schoolboy forwards in titmuss and all playing u16s this year looks nearly unbeatable. Of the above boys ,5 of them were starters for there respected Harold matts clubs along with one of the boys in the nsw state of origin squad. Not many u16's school teams could match that or even get close ,st augs yes and would be a cracker of a game to watch . I'm sure these boys will do great battle at reps this year with an unbelievable strong team getting selected this year .
Interestingly, much the same backline as Norths 2015 u15s rep side beaten twice by the state champ Gordon side with only one GPS boy in the starting backline (4 from CAS and 2 from ISA) and only 3 GPS boys in the starting 15 vs approx 12 GPS in Norths. Of course, Gordon's Dom Easy (View - was Pius) and Norths' Saul Lewis (New- was Holy Cross Ryde) and Keith Titmuss (New - was Westfield Sports High) have since joined GPS schools and full power to each of them for seizing their opportunities. But it does not help Rugby generally to have so many talented non GPS players sucked into the GPS vortex as we head towards opens. Australian schoolboy and senior rugby cannot flourish if only 6 (5?) schools in NSW and similar in QLD have all of the talent.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Barker v Shore at Northbridge 30th April 2016
Having watched the Barker 2nd XV nearly pull off a historic win against a bigger and faster Shore outfit, this avid reds supporter would normally be mildly optimistic playing a GPS team that lost every match last year in the GPS comp. However I was not that naïve.
Without a program to go by this writer observed the following player missing from the Barker line-up to face Shore.
Anstey, Stalls, Woodgate, Reimer, Tejcek, Kitchener, lles-Man
No amount of depth can plug those holes unless of course you’re at Joeys.
The game started disastrously for Barker with the return kick from the Shore kick off finding the blindingly fast Shore 15, who with acres of space, accelerated to warp speed and ran around 5 players from his own side of the halfway, to score untouched under the posts. After 20 sec Shore led 7 nil.
That should have been the lesson for Barker and for the rest of the half they did lift their game. A rare Shore error gave Van Woerkom a half chance and he swooped on the loose ball to score under the posts. At 7 all the game was on.
The forwards were pretty much equal. Despite the size dominance of the Shore tight head, the Barker scrum held their own feed well and neither team was dominant in the rucks and malls.
For a while there it was a whistle fest, with both sides giving away technical penalties and after about 5 in a row to the Reds, the ref gave one of the Shore boys a 10 minute rest.
With a player down, both sides started to play it simple. Solid tackling and committed energy in the rucks and malls was entertaining but the scoreboard attendant was not busy. With the 15 players back on the park, another error by Barker put the Shore 11 in space who scored a clinical try.
Oranges Shore lead 14/7
The 2nd half was all Shore.
Despite scoring no tries from 1st phase, Shore made up for it from broken play and a continuous flow of Barker errors.
The Shore 15 (3 tries), 13 (numerous line breaks and try assists) and both wingers (a couple of meat pies each) kept the score board ticking over.
The score line blew out with Shore convincing winners 48 to 7.
Best for Shore: 15,13,1
No real stand outs for Barker except that the forwards really did hold their own.
There is no doubt injury certainly affected the performance of the Barker squad. Shore have a definite star in their 15 and their tight head prop will also no doubt feature in the GPS squads later in the year. Having seen both Shore and Joeys in trials this year I would put Joeys as a 20 point better team than Shore, but for every GPS team, make sure you don’t kick the ball to the Shore 15. He will make you pay with great speed and a very strong kick.

For Barker. Well let’s hope a few of the injuries are not bad and that they can get their best players on the park for the season opener against Trinity next week. The Reds will hold their own in the forwards but they need some magic in the backs to score tries.

I posted a few still pics of yesterdays match if any Barker people are interested.

Sorry I didn't know any Barker Names

http://img.gg/NCLqJ9e

benadamsforskipper

Bob McCowan (2)
Given your username I'm confident you know who they are. If you watched the match you would not be asking the Q. If not, I don't think it is helpful or fair to name 16yo boys in a critical capacity. On a positive note I know that the boys in question are very capable of producing a far better performance than was the case yesterday. This team has huge potential but they all need to work together. The "I know boats" syndrome based on having played 16s last year will win you exactly zero matches.
I think we may have watched two very different games of rugby as the players in question here from my perspective seemed to play just as hard as every other man on the pitch. However I would like some justification on how these players do not play as part of a team

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@BA
".......the players in question here from my perspective seemed to play just as hard as every other man on the pitch."

If the Knox forwards generally, and those boys in particular, had played just as hard as their Joeys counterparts the result would have been much tighter. If however that is as hard as they can play, then the season is going to be much tougher than I had anticipated.

"However I would like some justification on how these players do not play as part of a team "

So would I. Given your username you would seem close to them. Perhaps you can ask them and report back?

Frank Row (1)
What happened to the gun fullback Fraser Wilson? I thought he had great control over the whole and provided balance for the backline.

Hit the Rhino

Frank Row (1)
@BA
"...the players in question here from my perspective seemed to play just as hard as every other man on the pitch."

If the Knox forwards generally, and those boys in particular, had played just as hard as their Joeys counterparts the result would have been much tighter. If however that is as hard as they can play, then the season is going to be much tougher than I had anticipated.

"However I would like some justification on how these players do not play as part of a team "

So would I. Given your username you would seem close to them. Perhaps you can ask them and report back?

As a neutral observer (Aloys) I am quite curious about these comments. Do you think you could just identify the players by number, perhaps, or by appearance? I do believe that numbers 1, 5, 7 played "up" last year. Do you think these boys were playing individually?

Hit the Rhino

Frank Row (1)

My friend do you think you could simply name who, just to provide sustenance to what you are saying? I believe numbers 1, 5 and 7 played "up" last year. Would you say these boys were not playing with the team? Just curious

Donald Drumph

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anyone know why that late try to St Pats was over turned. The try was awarded and the scoreboard updated. Next thing the captain was called over and the decision overturned.
I heard it was for stomping by a St Pats player.
Don't know why he wasnt given a yellow card or worse

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@Rhino, I think enough has been said on the subject. Hopefully the boys will all pull together after the wake up call from Joeys and work hard as a team to show what they are capable of, which is much better than we saw on Saturday.

Hit the Rhino

Frank Row (1)
@Rhino, I think enough has been said on the subject. Hopefully the boys will all pull together after the wake up call from Joeys and work hard as a team to show what they are capable of, which is much better than we saw on Saturday.

Alright mate everyone needs to let a bit of steam off every once in a while good to chat and enjoy the rest of your day. Cranbrook looking strong this year in the 16's so let's get keen for a thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.