• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I can't believe professional coaches in a national setup would think they know better over some one-eyed Queanbeyan supporter... :p

I'm not sure if you get to many John I Dent games but Noa is one of the clear standouts from the competition. If you had to pick between Noa and Oakman-Hunt on form alone he'd be a clear pick.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
looking at this guys posts i think he is the head of the Oakman-Hunt supporter club?

Nah...........

Club rugby, for me, is so far down the level of importance in the grand scheme of things that I couldn't give the slightest toss of what club a player originates from..............

However, I've already succinctly explained a few pages back why the Brumbies would favour players who've proven themselves at a higher level than club rugby.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Nah.....

Club rugby, for me, is so far down the level of importance in the grand scheme of things that I couldn't give the slightest toss of what club a player originates from......

However, I've already succinctly explained a few pages back why the Brumbies would favour players who've proven themselves at a higher level than club rugby.

For a bloke not caring you talk about it a lot. Mostly blowing the red and white trumpet

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Current Ladder -

Vikings - 21
Whites - 19
Royals - 17
Eagles - 16

Easts - 11
Uni - 10
Wests - 9

Full ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

Round 6 -

Easts V Whites @ Griffith

Royals V Eagles @ Phillip

Tuggers V Wests @ Vikings

BYE - Uni

1st time Easts will play Whites this year and also Royals V Eagles - Tuggers and Wests played eachother in Round 3 - Vikings getting up 40-29.

Predictions -

Will be interesting to see what Whites do this weekend - just they have had a number of injuries and have not played with a "full-strength" side all year nearly - but will they dare rest some players after a hard-fought win over Vikings - OR will this be a perfect opportunity for some of the injured players to get back on the field possibly in the lower grades and test where they are upto against an "easier" opposition.

I am over tipping Easts haha - not that I would anyway this Round - but I am going to go Whites by 40 (and a sneaky 2nd grade prediction of Whites to put another 90 on a struggling Easts 2nd grade)

Royals V Eagles - Extremely even match in my eyes (the ladder says it too) - hard to pick - but I am going to go Royals at home by 5.
I think Eagles will come out firing but Royals will sneak themselves home with a close win.

Tuggers V Wests - Wests having a lackluster start to the season I believe will step up for this game - they would of trained hard and had this game as a focus coming off the BYE week as a possible season-turning-around game - Vikings didn't look very flash last week and I am sure the Wests coaching staff were there taking some notes - you would think Vikings by a country mile but I think it will be closer than some people think - I am going to go for the upset of the year Wests by 2.

I have changed my focus from East to West - lets see what happens - haha.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re: Oj Noa you don't know what else is going on in the back-ground for the Brumbies to possibly not look at him for cover/squad position like they possibly are the Oakman Hunt twins - Oj has it all-over them on the field - but you don't know the situation off the field - does the Oakman H guys take it more seriously at training, is Oj in the gym more and the Oakman Hunt guys can't be bothered? etc etc

Yes the Brumbies will look at the Oakman guys before Oj purely for the fact that they have had Canberra Vikings experience (in the last 12 months) and really are the Brumbies coaching staff/selectors at every John I Dent game? Are they seeing the impact that Oj is having? or do they simply go off what a player has done rep wise over the last 12 months for example?

I hardly doubt that a Brumbies reps have been out to every Whites game this year. (Nor everyother game)

And unfortunately at the end of the day the influence the Vikings have on ACT Rugby is that they are going to have a closer link/feed to the Brumbies - thats just a fact.

I know the Oakman-Hunt twins have had injury issues this year - but at the moment Oj is the clear front-rower No.8 wise in the John I Dent comp - and if he keeps this form up and isn't selected in the Canberra Vikings side then something is up.

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
Lets get one thing straight in this OJ v Dean Oakman-Hunt debate, OH is a No.6 predominantly, he has played at 8 this year out of neccesity for Vikings.

He was also selected in the Australian Barbarians side, that is not because he is a Tuggeranong Viking that is because he is a very talented footballer.

If you want a big ball carrying No.8 it would be silly to argue for Oakman-Hunt over Noa but if you want a workhorse backrower in the Jarrad Butler mold, Oakman-Hunt is the clear choice.

Both are extremely talented and have vastly different roles/games, don't understand the need to pit them against each other at all.

There is more to rugby then carrying strongly!

Moving on, Predictions time.

Queanbeyan vs Easts: Queanbeyan will easily dispatch of Easts, who have suffered even more injuries since last week. Expect a big scoreline here, Queanbeyan by 30

Gungahlin vs Royals: The clear Match of the Round, how will the Eagles react to a bit of towelling last week? I expect them to come out strongly and beat Royals by about a try. Eagles by 6

Tuggeranong vs Wests: Despite the closeness of the scores the first time these two met I don't expect a similar result this time around. Wests will work hard in the forwards but I think Tuggeranong has too much class and will run out good winners. Tuggeranong by 15

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Gungahlin vs Royals: The clear Match of the Round, how will the Eagles react to a bit of towelling last week? I expect them to come out strongly and beat Royals by about a try. Eagles by 6

A bit of a towelling last week? they beat Easts by a cricket score you may be referring to the previous round against Q town, a game that was in the balance with ten to go, but i concede they were well beaten

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
A bit of a towelling last week? they beat Easts by a cricket score you may be referring to the previous round against Q town, a game that was in the balance with ten to go, but i concede they were well beaten

Apologies! I did mean the Queanbeyan game the week before.

You shouldn't be too upset, I did still tip them ;)

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lets get one thing straight in this OJ v Dean Oakman-Hunt debate, OH is a No.6 predominantly, he has played at 8 this year out of neccesity for Vikings.

He was also selected in the Australian Barbarians side, that is not because he is a Tuggeranong Viking that is because he is a very talented footballer.

If you want a big ball carrying No.8 it would be silly to argue for Oakman-Hunt over Noa but if you want a workhorse backrower in the Jarrad Butler mold, Oakman-Hunt is the clear choice.

Both are extremely talented and have vastly different roles/games, don't understand the need to pit them against each other at all.
There is more to rugby then carrying strongly!

You mean that australian barbarians team that was coached by the tuggeranong and canberra vikings coach?

so if they are after cover for ita vaea that should certainly go with noa over OH because as you said he is a big ball carrier

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You mean that australian barbarians team that was coached by the tuggeranong and canberra vikings coach?

IapBtka.jpg

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was at the Vikings/Whites game but I don't understand the Pedro at 10 thing - he is one of the form 9's of ACT Rugby - when I watched him play at 10 - it just didn't seem to work very well - then as you said when he switches to 9 he is a different player.

Have to 100% agree with you in regards to Dowsett - I don't like to speak ill of the guy but how he has a full-time contract is beyond me - I can't see them renewing his contract I just HOPE the Brumbies look to the ACT comp to source from and don't out-source again

He's the real talent of that Royals backline (former coach's daughter joked that they were looking at marrying her to Pedro to get him to stay!), they must be doing it to fit others, right? Hope to see him starting at 9 this week.

60b8451d747f22c7165a900b1d79e1ac.jpg

Not outsourcing, but maybe bringing back a former captain! We could give Pedro the shot at Super level, but he'll be 28, so we'd only have him for a couple of years.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also, my predictions for this week;

Easts-Whites: Queanbeyan had a great win last week, and, while that may have been inspired by the centurion in the forward pack, they're not up against a side of Viking's quality this week. Easts have revealed why they won't be finalists; they lack depth. Enever and R. Abel are up for a Brumbies game and they simply fall apart. Every other team in the competition makes a difference with their bench players, Easts probably hope to never bring them on. Still, they're at home, they might have Enever and Abel back this week, and that would make it closer. Whites by ten.

Royals-Eagles: The scoreline might not suggest it, but Royals had a commanding victory over Owls last week. They looked like a team that wouldn't be beaten on defence, and will be proud to have held Uni out despite two consecutive yellow cards. Eagles have something to prove after their loss to the Whites a few weeks ago, and a win here would do a lot of work to get them to a finals spot. Expect balanced breakdowns and scrums and a low scoring affair. Royals by four.

Vikings-Lions: I'd hate to be Wests right now; Vikings hate losing and generally hit back hard. Last year, Vikings lost at home to Queanbeyan as well, had a bye the following week, and went on to destroy Wests by close to 40 points. Wests have been the underachievers of the season and will hopefully look to channel their first meeting from last year, where they only lost to the Vikings by a single point. They will lose by more. Vikings by twenty-four.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm saying the top 4 finals contenders are already set this year. The order might change but I can't see Tuggies, QBN, Royals and Gunghalin dropping out of the four. If any team could make a charge it is Wests and they would need to start this weekend.

Whites by 40 over Easts
Eagles over Royals by 13
Wests and Tuggies to draw

What odds do I get on that multi?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He's the real talent of that Royals backline (former coach's daughter joked that they were looking at marrying her to Pedro to get him to stay!), they must be doing it to fit others, right? Hope to see him starting at 9 this week.

View attachment 7748
Not outsourcing, but maybe bringing back a former captain! We could give Pedro the shot at Super level, but he'll be 28, so we'd only have him for a couple of years.

Will be interesting to see where Nic White ends up - you think the Brumbies BUT the Brumbies now have some good depthish at Half-Back with the Argie and Powell. . . being good performers - or does he come back knock the argie down to the bench and Powell back to Erindale goodberries . . .

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re: Noa and the Brumbies looking for cover for a big ball-running No.8 I agree Noa is the clear choice over Oakman-Hunt - but think we should move on to No.7's - will we see the comp's best no.7 back on the field this week - Dan Penca? Where is Wells going to end up?

. . . . . Runs & hides from the tuggies supporters ha ha . . . .

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A write-up from the Whites Website - indicates that some of the injured 1st grades will be having a run-around in the lower grades - plus JR is back (from the looks of things) full-time in 2nd grade which will be great to see. Whities are building some great depth which is good to see -

After defeating Tuggeranong and facing Easts this Saturday complacency could have been an issue. But the pressure on positions should allay any concerns with the return of Keith Morgan through reserve grade, Danny Matthews and Dan Penca expected to get some game time, and Sokai Tai waiting in the wings.
Half Mitch Douch is running hot and was awarded the Lime Man of the Match for last week’s performance. Queanbeyan players have won the award twice from the five rounds with Ryan Jones also collecting a scarf and beanie.
First grade has only one change with prop Chris Barbaro resting after his 100th game and the following celebrations. He is replaced by the next big thing Ben Gordon.
In reserve grade Jamie Marmont returns to his favoured fullback with JR back in the centres. The back row of Ben Boyton, Tom G. Darmody and Cameron Stanley is as good as you can get. Throw in the form of David Akkersdyk and Tony Tarlinton as the locks and that is a forward pack. Welcome back also to hooker Jake Gordon.
The selections in colts, thirds and fourths are fairly settled which is helping the development of all three sides. For the first time in memory the fourths have had a healthy bench of players this season.
There has been a change of venue and time for fourth grade. They will also play at Griffith (No 2) at 10.55am and not RMC.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Righto...am gonna throw my 10 cents worth in regarding the games this weekend,

Whites to carry on from last week and give some game time to some old faces Win by 35

Royals by 15 but tight for much of the game.

Wests unfortunately get to play against a bear that has been poked...Vikings by 40

Status
Not open for further replies.