• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard that Uni were up 30 odd to nil at halftime and played outstanding rugby in that first half, not letting Sunnybank into the contest.

Apparently Uni not that hot in second half which allowed Sunnybank to compete.

Final score 57-22 so second half scoreline pretty even.

Hopefully Uni don't bring their form from the first half to Yoku Road next weekend.

An update on this.

Uni were up 43-0 early in second half and killing it before replacing four of the starting pack.

Sunnybank then came back to score four tries. So last 30 minutes it was 24-14 to Sunnybank.

Sounds like Uni took their foot off the gas.

Going to be a tough fight for our boys at GPS this weekend.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know what club Andrew Slack was referring to in his Sunday-Mail article yesterday?

It just seemed like an unusual article for him to write.

I suppose at least he is showing interest in grass roots rugby.

In the world which we live engaging the school leaver is a real issue for the game in general not just the clubs, and if this was the intent of his article then I see where he was coming from but pointing the finger at one club seems odd.

Clubs need help in engaging the school leavers, we need guys and girls of all abilities staying in the game after they leave school because these people are the future backbone of club rugby.

Does anyone else have a read on what Slacky was getting at?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wouldn't be surprised if he was referring to GPS?

There are players coming into the club left, right and center but of course with Premier Colts having yet to win a game so far this year (and this article coming a day after they let a 15-0 lead go to Norths who ended up winning 17-15) it wouldn't surprise me to hear this sort of criticism being aimed at the GPS Colts coaches.

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Been away and reading through the posts and surprised to see no comments from last weeks Easts - Souths clash. It was one of the best games I have seen this season and Easts were 100% desperate to win. They certainly did not play like a team that is currently 1-6. Scrum impressive; when they got outside around the 13-wing channel they caused dramas and that Max Allen kid created plenty of opportunities at the breakdown. Souths just simply kept coming back and coming back and got their nose in front. That Muirhead kid...WOW...I have now seen the top 5 play and if Easts play like that continually, they will shock some of the contenders. A great struggle and sincere congratulations to both teams. Great competition this.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Wouldn't be surprised if he was referring to GPS?

There are players coming into the club left, right and center but of course with Premier Colts having yet to win a game so far this year (and this article coming a day after they let a 15-0 lead go to Norths who ended up winning 17-15) it wouldn't surprise me to hear this sort of criticism being aimed at the GPS Colts coaches.

No from what I have heard he (Slack) is in a dogfight with the ARU and the QRU for that matter, about the support and funding of grassroots rugby. This is against the backdrop of the amount of financial support given to the Super and International players.

For mine I support his sentiment and believe that Club rugby is still the backbone of rugby in Australia (just have to take a look at club rugby and non-Super regional rugby in NZ). However, rugby today is more complicated than when I played. With Super rugby and more Internationals than in the past it is a complicated situation. In my day the QRU probably played 4-5 regional matches (which usually include 2 x NSW, Otago, Canterbury and possibly Auckland/Wellington) and 2-3 Test matches. The rest of the season the rep players played for their club (except where injured).

Today they rarely play for their clubs and one wonders why they have clubs at all!! I think this a mistake, as it reduces real competition and doesn't assist the younger players learning the tricks of the trade so to speak.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Been away and reading through the posts and surprised to see no comments from last weeks Easts - Souths clash. It was one of the best games I have seen this season and Easts were 100% desperate to win. They certainly did not play like a team that is currently 1-6. Scrum impressive; when they got outside around the 13-wing channel they caused dramas and that Max Allen kid created plenty of opportunities at the breakdown. Souths just simply kept coming back and coming back and got their nose in front. That Muirhead kid.WOW.I have now seen the top 5 play and if Easts play like that continually, they will shock some of the contenders. A great struggle and sincere congratulations to both teams. Great competition this.

Easts did play well but it looks as though they are out of the running now. The top 4 seems set at this point IMO. GPS & Norths won't come into contention at all.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just seen Matt Mafi named on the bench to cover Saia's injury. Not sure if he is the stand out hooker in Prems. The GPS hooker was.named in a few QPRTV sides of the week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
GPS v University of Queensland – Game of the Round
Kick-off: 3:20pm

GPS and University of Queensland will play for the Halley Appleby Memorial Trophy when the two sides meet at Yoku Road. The Gallopers will be looking to make it two on the trot, after a hard fought 23-15 away win over Norths in Round 8. The visiting Red Heavies currently sit atop the Premier Grade ladder, and a win here will see them retain their position as we reach the halfway point in the season. In what will be a tough test for Jeeps at home, UQ will be looking to cement themselves as title contenders, having not dropped a game since their Round 1 loss to Souths.

GPS: Nick Sykes, Feleti Kaitu’u, Ezrah Amituanai, Radike Samo, Dan Gorman, Waita Setu, Liam Ferguson, Michael Richards, Nigel Genia, Somi Pulu, Rika Batibasaga, James Herbert, Chris Kuridrani, Todd Winkley, Dan Earley

Coach: Todd Dammers

University of Queensland: Aaron Pleash, Tonga Ma’afu, Ausetailia Viaomanu, Sam Reiser, Phil Potgeiter, Conor Mitchell, Pat Morrey, Jack Cornelsen, Scott Gale, James Dalgleish, Jock Campbell, Nathan Russell, Josh Birch, Clifton Setu, Tom Banks

Coach: Mick Heenan

Brothers v Easts

Brothers come into Round 9 of BLK Queensland Premier Rugby after a convincing 41-19 victory over Wests, seeing them sit just one point below rst place on the ladder. The competition's leading try scorer Mitch Felsman will be looking to add to his tally of 14 tries from seven matches against a struggling Easts side, coming off a tough home loss to Souths. Brothers at Jack Ross Oval is a hard task for the Tigers, but a recent change of form could see them nab an upset.

Brothers: Francois Postale, Tom Sayer, Dustin Henegan, Terrin Walls, Dave Heneway, Criff Tupou, Charles Freney, Luke Beauchamp, Sam Grasso, Patrick James, Pierce Fitzgerald, Nathanuel Gendle, Elih Baillie, Mitch Felsman, Sam Greene

Coach: Carl Marshall

Easts: Pettowa Paraka, Sam Richards, Kirwan Sanday, Tyrell Barker, Tevita Momoka, Max Allen, Tom Milosevic, Henry Olsen, Simon Gregg, James May, Michael Tweedy, Matt Gordon, Sean Cox, David Skelton, Shane Parkinson

Coach: Anthony Connellan

Souths v Norths

Souths returned to winning ways in Round 8, narrowly ousting Easts in a tight 24-21 away win. The Mag- pies will return to Chipsy Wood Oval when they host a Norths side coming off a three-match losing streak. The Eagles are more than capable of an upset, however, they will be put to the test against a Souths side currently sitting just one point off the top of the ladder. With the season reaching its halfway point, the Magpies will be looking for a convincing home win to maintain their chase of UQ at the top of the Premier Rugby ladder.

Souths: Markus Vanzati, Maille Nguamo, Eric Teofilo, Matt Bennett, Isireli Naisarani, Simana Halaifonua, Anton Mineko, Johnny Kalauta, Scott Malolula, Teti Tela, Mika Tela, Paul Brown, Levi Aumua, Ralph Evalu, Kyle Blackman

Coach: Brett Picone

Norths: Garrath Ryan, Daniel Sutherland, Kieran Fitzgibbon, Connor Anderson, Apisai Naiyabo, Jayden Rodwell, Enzo Mutoti, Philip McComber, Nick Chapman, Michael Burke, Veresa Mataitini, Manasa Tuisuva, Alex Gibbon, Jesse Foran, Logan Tibbetts

Coach: Nick Fogarty

Wests v Bond University

In a battle of two sides desperate for a win, Wests will host Bond University at Kenmore RFC after a tough loss at the hands of Brothers in Round 8. The Bulldogs are chasing just their second win of the season, with Bond sitting just one spot above them on the competition ladder. The Gold Coast men will be fresh after their Round 8 bye and a win at Kenmore could see them leapfrog GPS into fth place in the competition. Bond will also welcome back last years Alec Evans (Player of the Year) medalist Josh Fuimaono to the starting line-up.

Wests: Bronson Tauakipulu, Cody Blackhurst, Jake Newell, Jeremiah Lynch, Silas Cocks, Dean Cunningham, Joel Brown, Rob Rutledge, Liam Dillon, Alec Jones, Reece Cleeton, Tyrone Lefau, Dan Faumuina, Byron Hutchinson, Richard Aitsi

Coach: Pat Byron

Bond University: Robbie Moe, Nick Turner, Sam Clifton, Jake Upfield, Rubin Fuimaono, Rudy McKensie, Callum McDonald, Josh Fuimaono, Vitori Buatava, Scott Daruda, Gus Qasevakatini, James Uhatafe, Brad Jones, Waylen Skipps, Mitch Third

Coach: Sean Hedger

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Easts did play well but it looks as though they are out of the running now. The top 4 seems set at this point IMO. GPS & Norths won't come into contention at all.

I tend to agree it will be hard work for GPS, Norths & Bond to secure enough wins to force their way into the top 4 so does that mean that the GPS & Bond coaches are under the most pressure leading in the back half of QPR16?

They are allegedly on the best packages of all QPR coaches so surely they need to produce the goods sooner or later, they are both 2 years into their respective roles and I wouldn't say there has been discernible improvement at either club.

This is not a criticism of either club it is just that both coaches came with very big wraps, and on performance alone I don't think either club has got the return on investment that they would have anticipated or expected.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Bloody Uni - we had that game won but they just kept coming. Having said that, Uni played like shit.

Uni dusted us in the scrums, lineouts were about even, we won the breakdown and they probably made more line breaks but we definitely won the kicking game!!

At the end of round one, GPS should now be in 5th place, 8 points back from Sunnybank with Bond a further 2 points back. Realistically we are the only two teams who can make the four other than the existing four.

Uni, Brothers and Souths look like they are going to be the top 3 and, I think we will make the four at the expense of Sunnybank.

Looks like Wests are odds on to get the spoon.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Bloody Uni - we had that game won but they just kept coming. Having said that, Uni played like shit.

Uni dusted us in the scrums, lineouts were about even, we won the breakdown and they probably made more line breaks but we definitely won the kicking game!!

At the end of round one, GPS should now be in 5th place, 8 points back from Sunnybank with Bond a further 2 points back. Realistically we are the only two teams who can make the four other than the existing four.

Uni, Brothers and Souths look like they are going to be the top 3 and, I think we will make the four at the expense of Sunnybank.

Looks like Wests are odds on to get the spoon.
By all reports from yesterdays effort by Wests they have the wooden spoon all wrapped up. Wests don't look to have changed anything yet are expecting different results on a Saturday. For a side with no forwards coach the forwards are doing well. I will stop here as I cannot think of anything positive to say.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
By all reports from yesterdays effort by Wests they have the wooden spoon all wrapped up. Wests don't look to have changed anything yet are expecting different results on a Saturday. For a side with no forwards coach the forwards are doing well. I will stop here as I cannot think of anything positive to say.

I watched Wests match v Brothers. Wests players look like they're going through the motions. Must be very hard to get motivated each week when you know the best you can probably achieve is to fight for the spoon.

Can someone from Wests comment on this - is the decision to appoint or not appoint a forwards coach the decision of the head coach or the committee? Is the head coach Phil Mooney or Pat Byron now?

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watched Wests match v Brothers. Wests players look like they're going through the motions. Must be very hard to get motivated each week when you know the best you can probably achieve is to fight for the spoon.

Can someone from Wests comment on this - is the decision to appoint or not appoint a forwards coach the decision of the head coach or the committee? Is the head coach Phil Mooney or Pat Byron now?
The QPR weekly has Pat Byron as the head coach..

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers had a clean sweep in every grade against Easts yesterday. A great effort.

Easts certainly turned up in the first half and were leading at half-time. Brothers scored several quick tries in the second-half to push the score line out. Overall the score line was fair, as Brothers were too good in the second half.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought Brothers finished the round 2nd based on point difference and that meant Brothers blockbuster home game against Uni in two weeks would be for the Wellsbie Cup?

But the table says Souths has finished 2nd so must be based on number of wins? So it appears Souths home game against Uni next week will be for the first major silverware of the year.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I thought Brothers finished the round 2nd based on point difference and that meant Brothers blockbuster home game against Uni in two weeks would be for the Wellsbie Cup?

But the table says Souths has finished 2nd so must be based on number of wins? So it appears Souths home game against Uni next week will be for the first major silverware of the year.

Wins always outranks points differential.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Is the doughty(?) shield (total club points) kept track of anywhere?? Looks like there would be some changes to the usual pecking order of recent times (bar uni of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.