• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Was in Melbourne recently for work,

I took my running shoes with me ( I guess I'm a real runner now )

Went for a couple of runs around the City after finishing work.

As well as having to compete with the usual pedestrians and cars , Melbourne throws trams into the mix.

It's sure does add an extra element to a.run.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I set myself a goal about 2.5 years ago to do 10 km in under an hour (back when running 1km was a real challenge)

Finally made it yesterday in 59:31.

I usually stick to 5 km, and occasionally have a crack at 10km when it's not too hot.

Attachments

• 26894499926_ea8725cb79_z.jpg
    26894499926_ea8725cb79_z.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 221

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hopefully this question is relevant enough for this thread.

What do you guys think of the various smart watches / fitness tracking devices going around?

I'm pretty close to getting the Fitbit Blaze, any reviews on it?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
None of them are any good for running. The heartrate things don't deal well with the bouncing.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Another recommendation that you check out DC Rainmaker's site.

I've used a few GPS watches over the years, two Garmins and a Tom Tom. I'm not a huge fan of the heartrate monitoring devices. I just didn't have any faith that the reports were all that useful or accurate (not that I had proof of the latter).

I'm currently using the base model Tom Tom and when it dies I will probably buy another.

Take some time, look at DC Rainmaker's site, work out what features you really want, then go take a look at a few. Not many retail stores stock more than one or two brands/models.

Things that are important to me:
- large numbers on the dial (vital when you're running)
- logical operation for the functions that you'll use
- ease of charging
- ease of data transfer including to sites such as Strava or runkeeper, or that the native app has enough analytical features for you.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
I've used the vivoactive with the strap and it worked well. Just not the strongest farm watch (damn). DC Rainmaker is an awesome site for a practical reviews of fitness gear. I'm a fan of the vivoactive for the swim & golf features too. My fitness regime has gone to crap since I broke it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Okay so going completely against everyone's advice I got a fitbit blaze (well my mates got me one for my birthday, so a bit out of my control). This is the first time I've had a smart watch or fitness tracker beyond my iphone and I'm obsessed.

Not too sure how long I will be like this, but I think it's great. So many useless things to track and procrastinate with.

Also I went for my first run with it and I thought it was pretty nifty. Just being able to access all the stats during the run makes a world of difference. I was my longest run yet (15km) and a very quick pace for me as well (4'44 pace). I'm feeling pretty chuffed with myself at the moment because at the start of the year I couldn't run more than 5kms.

PS. Is the resting heart rate thing accurate?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Okay I spoke too soon, reason I got such a good pace (for me) is because the GPS in the blaze is absolutely shit. Went for a 6km run this morning that I know is definitely 6km and the Blaze told me it was 6.5. Which makes me think I actually ran more like 14km at a 5'04 pace. This rather dishearteningly makes a lot more sense.

Bugger. Now I have to work out how to return the fitbit that my mates got me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Okay I spoke too soon, reason I got such a good pace (for me) is because the GPS in the blaze is absolutely shit. Went for a 6km run this morning that I know is definitely 6km and the Blaze told me it was 6.5. Which makes me think I actually ran more like 14km at a 5'04 pace. This rather dishearteningly makes a lot more sense.

Bugger. Now I have to work out how to return the fitbit that my mates got me.

Still a bloody good pace for 14km!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just got around the Christchurch Marathon in a bit under 2:57 so that's this year's sub 3 effort ticked off and now free for mass boozing at the England Test next weekend!

Specifically picked this race because it was before the Tests series kicked off so bring on the beer!

That said, it's a bit strange being back in Christchurch with so much of the old CBD abandoned or just missing. Course went out into what used to be suburbs but now it's just streets falling into disrepair in what are now essentially open fields.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
2016 Q1 Report:
692km @ 5:35
49 runs (should have been 53-ish)
January 208km
February 216km
March 268km
According to Strava I am slightly in front of my target distance if I am to achieve 2750km for 2016.

2016 Q2 Report:
671km @ 5:29
47 runs (should have been 53-ish)
April 238km
May 233km
June 200km

2016 YTD Report
1363km @ 5:32
96 runs (should have been about 105)
Average distance: 14.2km
Shortest run: 10km
Longest run: 21.6km
According to Strava I am slightly behind my target distance if I am to achieve 2750 for 2016. I need to get closer to 53 runs in each of Q3 and Q4 I think.

EDIT: Or, of course, I could "budget" on a similar number of runs over the second half of the year and lift my average distance to 15kms. This is probably a more realistic strategy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Finding the evening breezes rather challenging at the moment, my circuit is around a couple of bays and that breeze of the water at the moment is farken traumatic

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Finding the evening breezes rather challenging at the moment, my circuit is around a couple of bays and that breeze of the water at the moment is farken traumatic
I know what you mean. I really, really hate running in windy conditions. Problem with that is I'm in Wellington for a while o_O The gusts on my run along the waterfront yesterday were officially 50kmh but felt like 100kmh!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm enjoying the evening runs lately. Brisk, not crowded, and a bit different. Might not continue this week being at 1300m + all week! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD