• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Browning coming into his own. Can't see the benefit in having Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Browning coming into his own. Can't see the benefit in having Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree and when Shatz returns it will be a battle between him and Browning. Still, I like the idea of Leroy.

FFS the Reds need to get their priorities right - spend some money on a decent 10 (although from the sounds of it there is a high chance of Quade returning so that problem may be fixed)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Daley on 260 lost any credibility he may have had with me in respect of evaluating the pros and cons of players.

His comments on McIntyre show he has lost touch with reality.

He obviously hasn't played for a long long time and that showed.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Huh? Surely getting a forward that's doing well in getting us over the advantage line is an additional priority....

To this end I live in hope that B Thorn will soon evolve into the Assistant Coach that handles all forwards work and skill development bar Stiles' conduct of set pieces.

There's been high focus on our 'great scrum and line out' but if we benchmark say the Cru's forwards skills in broken play and off the ball as regularly 9/10 in quality and consistency, the Reds' equivalent would be a 5/10.

The greatly improved intensity and skills growth of the 2010-11 Reds' forwards in broken play etc was a too-little-recognised major contribution from Link and his Assistants of those glory days.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Daley on 260 lost any credibility he may have had with me in respect of evaluating the pros and cons of players.

His comments on McIntyre show he has lost touch with reality.

He obviously hasn't played for a long long time and that showed.

What, did you expect him to be all "Hahaha yeah how shite has Jake been? The guy is a joke, he needs to go back to club."

He handled a very difficult question excellently, which is probably why he's a frequent guest on that show. His media savvy is first rate. You have to read between the lines to see what he actually said - he said that Jake's improving (which he is) but he also said that if Quade comes back he expects him to slot straight into the starting side.

He's never going disrespect his team-mates publicly like that. Daley is a quality bloke IMO.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
To this end I live in hope that B Thorn will soon evolve into the Assistant Coach that handles all forwards work and skill development bar Stiles' conduct of set pieces.

There's been high focus on our 'great scrum and line out' but if we benchmark say the Cru's forwards skills in broken play and off the ball as regularly 9/10 in quality and consistency, the Reds' equivalent would be a 5/10.

The greatly improved intensity and skills growth of the 2010-11 Reds' forwards in broken play etc was a too-little-recognised major contribution from Link and his Assistants of those glory days.

Yeah I agree. It would be ideal if Thorn could work with the forwards on their loose play and sort out this dog-pile of a breakdown. That said, the forwards are pulling their weight even the loose. 5/10 in loose combined with a set piece of 9.5/10 and that's a finals-quality pack, albeit probably not a championship-quality one.

The real problem is the backline.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What, did you expect him to be all "Hahaha yeah how shite has Jake been? The guy is a joke, he needs to go back to club."

He handled a very difficult question excellently, which is probably why he's a frequent guest on that show. His media savvy is first rate. You have to read between the lines to see what he actually said - he said that Jake's improving (which he is) but he also said that if Quade comes back he expects him to slot straight into the starting side.

He's never going disrespect his team-mates publicly like that. Daley is a quality bloke IMO.

No I wouldn't expect him to bag the bloke just not cover him with roses and a couple of pounds of sugar, - that's why I questioned his credibility as a "commentator" .

Anyway Dales is up for contract renewal this year and it will be interesting if he is re-signed with the young guns acoming

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I dont think Dales was that effusive (?) but I think you are spot on as to whether he will be re-signed. Sadly his contribution of late has been heavily effected by injury but it would be sad to see him leave

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We have a history of retaining far less proven players who are injured far more for far longer!

I reckon they'll find a spot for him. I kinda hope they do too.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We have a history of retaining far less proven players who are injured far more for far longer!

I reckon they'll find a spot for him. I kinda hope they do too.

Frankly Scoey, I would rather he be gone (and good luck to him ) and some of his money go towards retaining a young bloke like Sef, keeping him happy and not wanting to look for another franchise. Dunno who else (LH props) in the system but we should always be on the lookout for that new blood. Trouble with props is they normally take a number of years to be adequate.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Fa'agase's not actually that much younger than Daley. He's 25, Daley's 27 about to turn 28. Both have plenty of life in them if they can stay fit.

And that of course is the problem with Daley. I'd love for him stick around at the Reds, he's a solid scrummager, certainly better than Fa'agase at the moment. Doesn't offer much as a carrier, but few props do, and I'd rather have a prop who's a good scrummager and an average carrier than the other way around.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fa'agase's not actually that much younger than Daley. He's 25, Daley's 27 about to turn 28. Both have plenty of life in them if they can stay fit.

And that of course is the problem with Daley. I'd love for him stick around at the Reds, he's a solid scrummager, certainly better than Fa'agase at the moment. Doesn't offer much as a carrier, but few props do, and I'd rather have a prop who's a good scrummager and an average carrier than the other way around.

Are you serious

When did he become good scrummager? He has generally been less than satisfactory throughout his career.

Young Sef is above him in the pecking order (and that was before Daley's latest injury). He has gone pretty well.

Sef and Ben are about 3 years apart in age and 100 in durability.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Are you serious

When did he become good scrummager? He has generally been less than satisfactory throughout his career.

Young Sef is above him in the pecking order (and that was before Daley's latest injury). He has gone pretty well.

Sef and Ben are about 3 years apart in age and 100 in durability.
I was very surprised at Daley's scrummaging in the games he played this year. Much improved.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
How does Houston fit in the squad? Surely we were full already.

Dont get me wrong I am glad to have a player of his quality in the team but how will he fit and if he is going to be at Wallabies training he wont have any time with the Reds to get adjusted. He will be an English speaking Goromaru, plenty of skill and no idea of the playbook

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
How does Houston fit in the squad? Surely we were full already.

Dont get me wrong I am glad to have a player of his quality in the team but how will he fit and if he is going to be at Wallabies training he wont have any time with the Reds to get adjusted. He will be an English speaking Goromaru, plenty of skill and no idea of the playbook
It's not fucking rocket science. And it's not going to wreck the Reds season.

Status
Not open for further replies.