• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Grand-final rematch this weekend - considering a Whites BYE - think I am going to have to go down and watch this game - plus Vikings have great pork rolls (haha) - thinking Vikings by 5 - but the game just like the GF could go either way I reckon.

Any news (insider info) on who's in, who's out for both clubs?

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
It's the first time I've heard specific criticisms of him, and I've only seen him twice so I'm not the best judge, but I'll keep an eye out for those things the next time I see him.

I think the best three are Morris, Hogan, and Hagan, but I'd pick out Rahilly as the black-horse option for mine. Definitely have no problem with Ingram having more chances. Is Beisner the one I keep seeing in the Colts games?

He could potentially be, he refereed Whites v Owls 2nd grade on the weekend and was very good.

I think everyone agrees that Hogan is top class, probably the best in the comp.

I haven't seen Rahilly, hopefully I come across him soon.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Grand-final rematch this weekend - considering a Whites BYE - think I am going to have to go down and watch this game - plus Vikings have great pork rolls (haha) - thinking Vikings by 5 - but the game just like the GF could go either way I reckon.

Any news (insider info) on who's in, who's out for both clubs?

Hey guys long time follower first time poster.

I've got a little info on the Vikings side for this weekend.

Mcgrath is out with a knee injury not sure if he'll play again this year. Thompson is also out for a few weeks. Looks like henman might get the start over Bowden at half back.

Any word on royals?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hey guys long time follower first time poster.

I've got a little info on the Vikings side for this weekend.

Mcgrath is out with a knee injury not sure if he'll play again this year. Thompson is also out for a few weeks. Looks like henman might get the start over Bowden at half back.

Any word on royals?

Welcome mate! - good to have you posting - gotta say just on a quick side note that we are currently 20 pages deep on this thread half way through the season and last season the old thread got upto 23 pages - so its really good to see there is more talk around the comp this year on the forum/and hopefully in a small way it builds some more interest for the John I Dent.

Not good to hear about McGrath - the prop stocks at Vikings seem to be a little slim from looking on the outside - I watched a Colts game around the start of the season and the colts side seems to have a fantastic front row - big, physical, strong.

Guessing Tyrel will be out for another big chuck of the season (guessing he has been selected to tour with the u20's) - Taula should still be there or is he off to play for Tonga again during June? After that I am not really sure who can make a big impact. Maybe the import from Japan? Kanai I think his last name is.

Thompson is a big loss aswell - wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson step into 10 while he is out - or maybe they will have Christian Lealiilfano back in acouple of weeks lol...handy replacement.

No news on the Royals camp that I have heard - Will be the first time McInerney plays against his old team-mates - so I am guessing he will be pump'd up and should have a cracker - and this extra motivation are things that could possibly get Royals over the line for the 'W' this weekend.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Welcome mate! - good to have you posting - gotta say just on a quick side note that we are currently 20 pages deep on this thread half way through the season and last season the old thread got upto 23 pages - so its really good to see there is more talk around the comp this year on the forum/and hopefully in a small way it builds some more interest for the John I Dent.

Not good to hear about McGrath - the prop stocks at Vikings seem to be a little slim from looking on the outside - I watched a Colts game around the start of the season and the colts side seems to have a fantastic front row - big, physical, strong.

Guessing Tyrel will be out for another big chuck of the season (guessing he has been selected to tour with the u20's) - Taula should still be there or is he off to play for Tonga again during June? After that I am not really sure who can make a big impact. Maybe the import from Japan? Kanai I think his last name is.

Thompson is a big loss aswell - wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson step into 10 while he is out - or maybe they will have Christian Lealiilfano back in acouple of weeks lol.handy replacement.

No news on the Royals camp that I have heard - Will be the first time McInerney plays against his old team-mates - so I am guessing he will be pump'd up and should have a cracker - and this extra motivation are things that could possibly get Royals over the line for the 'W' this weekend.

Yeah it's really good. Most of what I've read has been really positive and at the end of the day we're all obviously fans of this competition. So it's really good to see the guys involved in this forum taking a personal interest. And to be honest some of the reports I've seen on here have been far more indicative of what really happened in the games then anything I've read in the Canberra times.

Yeah it's disappointing for mcgrath, from all accounts he was playing some really good footy. Yes Tyrel will be away virtually until the start of July. There are a few good young props running around but I think (and I don't claim to know much about propping) they're probably a year away from making a impact in 1st grade. Theres still a chance Taula could be lost to Tonga in June as well. So it might be slim pickings in the front row.

I think Jake Rakic might be coming back into the fold as well so we could see him at 12 with Andrew Robinson at 10 which is pretty handy.

In any case it should be a really good game!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
The interest in JID is great! I like the genuine rivalry between clubs. There are players that switch clubs in the offseason but not to the extent seen in Super Rugby. Not doubting the commitment of Super rugby players but they do seem to switch teams very regularly and go into wallaby lunches the day following a game. I guess that is modern rugby but I really like the deep club loyalty and rivalry in the JID.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Joe Powell's surprise wallaby selection is great news for him but a big hit for Tuggies if he isn't available at seasons end. Butler and Ah Wong might be the only 2 of the allocation that turn out in red this year. Both handy additions to an already strong team though!

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think Jake Rakic might be coming back into the fold as well so we could see him at 12 with Andrew Robinson at 10 which is pretty handy.

Good call Macka au
Number Premier 1st Grade
1 Sione Taula
2 Michael Henry
3 Tateo Kanai
4 Gareth Clouston
5 Ben Hyne
6 Josh Hitchens
7 Joey Vejvoda
8 Dean Oakman-Hunt
9 Blake Henman
10 Andrew Robinson
11 Jake Knight
12 Jake Rakic
13 Ernest Suavai
14 Max Ravouvou
15 Sam Giltrap

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Good call Macka au
Number Premier 1st Grade
1 Sione Taula
2 Michael Henry
3 Tateo Kanai
4 Gareth Clouston
5 Ben Hyne
6 Josh Hitchens
7 Joey Vejvoda
8 Dean Oakman-Hunt
9 Blake Henman
10 Andrew Robinson
11 Jake Knight
12 Jake Rakic
13 Ernest Suavai
14 Max Ravouvou
15 Sam Giltrap

Will be an interesting game - fairly evenly matched sides at the moment - should be a cracker.

Interested to see how Robinson handles the 10 spot - saw him in a trial there at the start of the year and looked pretty good.

Having Jake Rakic back is a big plus for the Tuggers boys aswell.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
ACT Club Rugby Competition Results Round 9 -

Premier division

Tuggeranong v Royals
1s Tuggeranong 26 royals 7
2s Royals 15 Tuggeranong 14
Colts Royals 29 Tuggeranong 15

Gungahlin v Uni Norths
1s Gungahlin 17 Uni Norths 12
2s Uni Norths 22 Gungahlin 19
Colts Gungahlin 57 Uni Norths 12

Easts v Wests
1s Wests 36 Easts 14
2s Wests 30 Easts 19
Colts Wests 32 Easts 19

First division

Tuggeranong v Royals
1s Royals 27 Tuggeranong 25

Gungahlin v Uni Norths
1s Gungahlin 33 Uni Norths 14
2s Gungahlin 36 Uni Norths 7

Easts v Wests

1s Wests 47 Easts 12

ADFA v Cooma
1s ADFA 51 Cooma 7
2s Cooma 19 ADFA 12

Goulburn v Queanbeyan
1s Queanbeyan 13 Goulburn 5
2s Queanbeyan 64 Goulburn 7

Young v Hall
1s Hall 29 Young 17
2s young 29 Hall 0

Women's Division
Uni Norths 76 Gungahlin 5
Royals 19 Tuggeranong 5

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I went to check out the Vikings V Royals game - 1st half was extremely sloppy/stop start affair - Royals honestly looked the better of the two sides - with Vikings looking very out of sorts and abit all over the place - no real structure.

The 2nd half again for the 1st 15-20 mins was the same as the 1st and then I think Royals tired and Vikings started to find some holes and put on afew late tries - the score doesn't really show how much of a battle the game really was - with as I mentioned Vikings scoring some pretty soft tries towards the end.

Standouts for me by far were - for Vikings - Robinson, Rakic and Ben Hyne - Hyne got a double and towards the end of just a total powerhouse - you can see why the Brumbies have picked this kid up. For Royals Pedro was rock solid and the 12/13 combo for Royals seems to be pretty solid also.

Royals with a little more strike power could beat any team in the comp on their day - looking at the scores over the weekend - its really turning into a 4 horse race - Vikings/Whites/Royals/Eagles - Uni will really need to step it up a gear if they have any chance of making the semi's now.

Was anyone at the Wests V Easts game? Wests getting their 1st 'W' - this will give them a spark of confidence and for Easts this could be a turn-pointing (in a bad way) in regards to possibly some big scores being put on them running into the 2nd half of the season - I can't see them winning a game and every game they don't win they drop more confidence.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Royals rolling Tuggies in seconds is an interesting result. I was hearing seconds was shaping as a two horse race between Tuggies and QBN. That is a big result for Royals which has always seemed to struggle with depth in recent years. It is shaping as a great finals contest across all grades this year!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Royals rolling Tuggies in seconds is an interesting result. I was hearing seconds was shaping as a two horse race between Tuggies and QBN. That is a big result for Royals which has always seemed to struggle with depth in recent years. It is shaping as a great finals contest across all grades this year!

I watched the last 20 mins or so of 2nd's and have to say with the part that I watched Royals fully deserved the win. It really has been a 2 horse race in 2nd's this year - with Whites/Vikings moving ahead in points on the ladder - but it just shows that Royals are still in the mix if they want to be.

Going back to 1st's for a moment - 2 players I really feel like they need to move back/go into 1st grade are Frankie Fainifo and Nic Murray - when these 2 guys came on for Giltrap and Ravouvou - they sparked the backline.

10. Robinson
11. Knight
12. Rakic
13. Fainifo
14. Murray
15. Suavai

Does anyone know where they picked up Ravouvou? I feel like possibly from the Southern Inland Comp?
Only seen him play afew games - sort of feel like he might be best off in 2nd's for awhile to develop - doesn't look that old?

Players like Murray must be abit pissed off - dedicating years to try and crack 1st grade and a player comes in and just takes up the wing spot - must be tough for the guy because he is a really solid player.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On another side note - anyone else see the possible re-development plans for Erindale Vikings - that includes Vikings Park -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...-radical-$350m-redevelopment-canberra/7454596

Could we see the home of the Tuggeranong Vikings down at Greenway in acouple of years?

Vikings Park has to be one of the best/if not the best club facilities in Australia - would be tough to see it go - but it is PRIME land and could possibly make for a bigger/better facility down at Greenway.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out!

Status
Not open for further replies.