• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I like the squad.

The Powell inclusion is fairly surprising to say the least. I'd imagine there are 3 scrum halves in Aus who are pretty shitty tonight being Stirzaker, Prior and Meehan. Maybe Cheik though having 3 Scrum halves named Nick would be too confusing. But I do like what I have seen of Powell, just seems a little risky.

9 backrowers seems a bit much. Call me cynical but I suspect Gill is just there as Cheika is trying to lure him into staying in Aus, as he could be important when Pocock is on sabbatical. But I'd be damn happy to see him on the bench. I just like the kid.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Amusing reading in particular the outrage over a few names in a 39 man squad.

The way I look at these squads when the ABs do it is that the majority of players selected are because they will be in the Test team every week.

Some players are selected because they have been on the fringe and due to injuries, player exodus etc, they get a further look in.

Some players are selected because they are up and coming.

Some players make it because they are on big ARU top up contracts. Commercial reality.

Some players make it because they might be good to have around to train against, experienced and know what opposition teams do. There is only so much a coach can teach. The players who experience it on the park are vital in the teaching.

I don't really get it when some imply that 'it's unfair on player X, Y and Z when player A gets selected and he's done jack all'. It's got nothing to do with fairness. Coaches have a range of factors like the above in mind when putting together a large squad. Fairness isn't a factor in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It's an initial training squad. How about leaving the outrage until we get down to the game squad.

agree completely with this. I don't mind the squad because I have faith that Cheika knows what he's doing. There's a few older guys that I might not want in my ideal 23 (ex. Palu) but Cheika demonstrated last year that having old heads in a competitive squad can benefit the team. On the other hand he's named a few blokes that probably aren't quite there but it could do wonders for their careers to be exposed to such a professional outfit.

I like the inclusion of Morahan if only because he's toiled hard in australia for many years and never made it back into the fold after that horrible game in Newcastle against Scotland many years ago. It's nice to see him make the squad and it's probably his last chance to win a cap, whilst we are so thin on wingers. Whilst I don't think he'll get on the field, it's still nice to see the local talent rewarded.

I'm more interested to see the final squad, which will tell us a lot more.

I will say it's exciting to see Kepu and Horwill back and I absolutely cannot wait for this England series! by all accounts the ticket sales have been very strong!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
9 backrowers seems a bit much. Call me cynical but I suspect Gill is just there as Cheika is trying to lure him into staying in Aus, as he could be important when Pocock is on sabbatical. But I'd be damn happy to see him on the bench. I just like the kid.

Choosing 4 no.7s would look odd for any other international squad, but it seems to me Cheika decided last year that one of the trademarks of his wallabies outfit is that it will play 2 world class sevens on the field at all times, and possibly a 3rd on the bench. if Pocock ever goes down injured you'd have to change the whole strategy without someone like Gill to replace him IMHO

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I imagine Toby Smith will be groomed as a THP and developed in that position over the next few years

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I imagine Toby Smith will be groomed as a THP and developed in that position over the next few years
Why wouldn't it be Allalatola?

This isn't just to raise the ire of Brumbies/other fans, but apart from 10 minutes here or there when asked to for the Rebels, his cameos in Green and Gold last year were the first time I've seen Toby specifically play tighthead, whereas Allalatola came through the ranks as a tighthead and was only shifted to the loosehead side because JP Smith was easier to usurp than Ruan.

Whatever works best I guess, but still.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
About Joe Powell, isnt the third half back usually selected for the quality of their jokes? I mean third string scrummies seldom get any game time.

Isnt Morahan one of the fastest players in Aus? I reckon some real pace out wide wouldnt hurt the Wallabies, especially with Horne on the other wing and Kuridrani and Kerevi not the fastest centres around. Whilst Tomane is out injured I would like to see him get a run.

All in all a very decent looking squad, wasnt surprised with the omissions of Ready and Hodge, they both are on their first year of professionalism and should rather use the june break in building their physique into the demanding world of modern rugby.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
About Joe Powell, isnt the third half back usually selected for the quality of their jokes? I mean third string scrummies seldom get any game time.

Isnt Morahan one of the fastest players in Aus? I reckon some real pace out wide wouldnt hurt the Wallabies, especially with Horne on the other wing and Kuridrani and Kerevi not the fastest centres around. Whilst Tomane is out injured I would like to see him get a run.

All in all a very decent looking squad, wasnt surprised with the omissions of Ready and Hodge, they both are on their first year of professionalism and should rather use the june break in building their physique into the demanding world of modern rugby.

We'll have none of this sanity here. The long-established game plan is this:

Hysterical overreaction in the early phases.
A period of pretending to pull together.
Shock and horror.
Solidarity.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good squad.
Morahans kicking may come in very handy and he always lifts his level when playing around good players.
There is a lot of english knowledge there. We are looking a little light at 10 and on the flanks but we could be about to see a big direction change in our back play with moving or doing away with the second playmaker in mid-field?
So happy to see Kepu called back. We should be able to put out a pack with some serious grunt.
Interesting times.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
We'll have none of this sanity here. The long-established game plan is this:

Hysterical overreaction in the early phases.
A period of pretending to pull together.
Shock and horror.
Solidarity.
Fuck oath. What's an anonymous early 2000's era (sorry gagr) internet forum useful for if out-of-proportion outrage is squashed with logic and reason?

I'd hazard we're here a) because we're insufferable rugby nerds and b) we're bored at work. Let the outrage flow - it's almost a rite and ritual following squad announcements.

I just feel for blokes who get leapfrogged on 'vibe'. The three half-backs overlooked for the rookie have every right to feel aggrieved and I share that.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm quite happy with Houston.

He may have been a fat lazy shite when he was last at the Reds, but that was after two seasons or so of labouring work and Maccas for breakfast, because he'd taken a break from the game.

He's very strong through the hips with a low centre of gravity, he's explosively powerful, is a decent-to-good lineout option, has great hands, is fast, hits like a train in defence and most importantly, gives me the chance to drunkenly yell "Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooy!" everytime he touches it. Name aside, he's actually very similar to Vaea.

He was picked as an 18yo to play in the forwards in test rugby, he's certainly good enough to do so now that he's got his head right and matured. He's got all the raw ingredients Cheika would need to turn him into a dynamic and dominant 8.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think Naivalu would give Morahan a run for his money.

Before his leg break, yes.

Now he's sent to much time in the gym doing upper body work, he's lost a little bit of his acceleration and agility.

He needs to spend the next 6 months doing nothing but power snatches, and a combination of sprint exercises.

He'd retain a lot of his strength, but tone it from bulky strength into power and explosiveness.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Before his leg break, yes.

Now he's sent to much time in the gym doing upper body work, he's lost a little bit of his acceleration and agility.

He needs to spend the next 6 months doing nothing but power snatches, and a combination of sprint exercises.

He'd retain a lot of his strength, but tone it from bulky strength into power and explosiveness.

Yep agree - it's not like he wasn't a beast before the injury, so no need to change the winning formula. Maybe he's still burning off some injury chub and hasn't quite reached his fighting weight.