• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Ullrich will not be playing any sort of role in the BGS First XV this year. Forward pack is basically decided already except for the front row with Eiszele returning. I expect Johnny Shaw (BGS 6) to play a big role this year. Oli Sheperd will also look to push his way into the starting side. Hit of the day IMO was from Harry Martin vs Nudgee. Great to see some chat about BGS going around. Any news on the 2nd round of GPS trials/selections?

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ullrich will not be playing any sort of role in the BGS First XV this year. Forward pack is basically decided already except for the front row with Eiszele returning. I expect Johnny Shaw (BGS 6) to play a big role this year. Oli Sheperd will also look to push his way into the starting side. Hit of the day IMO was from Harry Martin vs Nudgee. Great to see some chat about BGS going around. Any news on the 2nd round of GPS trials/selections?

Very solid, legal hit put on the nudgee lad which eventually saw the game stopped for a bit. Babool and Robinson????

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
What do you mean TheKing?

Identity theft is a crime, 'Darvo'. I can't imagine what Bill would say...

Just sat down and looked at all the returning players for this season, and threw together a returning First XV. Obviously new students + last year's 15 and 16As will throw some bolters in to the mix for a Queensland team, but this ain't that.
  1. Dechlan Day (TSS)
  2. Blake Schoupp (Nudgee)
  3. Chris Yanopa (BBC - you can't ignore the little fireball!)
  4. Angus Blyth (Southport, tall timber being headhunted by the AFL. They always take one super tall lock regardless of ability)
  5. Hugh Arthur (Brisbane Grammar - injured in 2015)
  6. Henry Sharp (Churchie)
  7. Fraser McReight (Brisbane Grammar, third year of First XV)
  8. Tipene Mavoa (Southport)
  9. Isaac Lucas (Gregory Terrace, flyhalf destined for a move to 9 eventually)
  10. Augustus Rangihuna (Nudgee)
  11. Brendan Malala (Nudgee)
  12. Ashton Watson (Toowoomba Grammar)
  13. Len Ikitau (BBC)
  14. Will Eadie (Gregory Terrace)
  15. Murray Taulagi (State High)
  16. Sean Farrell (BBC - third year of First XV)
  17. Lloyd Gorman (State High)
  18. Josh Nasser (GT - needs set piece improvement, but size + pedigree helps)
  19. Richard Clift (TGS)
  20. Patrick Tafa (BSHS)
  21. Isaac Henry (BBC - only returning halfback)
  22. Semisi Tupou (NC - this kid is going to be good)
  23. Tristan Stanghorn (Churchie)

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Also, the new monster prop at TSS is called Samuel Dobbs. He turned 18 in March, and as far as I can tell started at TSS this year - he was in Canberra finishing Year 12 in November last year.

Here's his youtube clip - it is absolutely must watch: http://bit.ly/1P0wero

Here is some light reading, from 2012 to 2014:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/powerhouse-teen-picks-up-judo-as-a-core-motif-20121021-27zsn.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...unique-dual-international-20140621-zsduh.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...ng-olympic-dream-in-judo-20141017-117iex.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...sues-act-brumbies-career-20150613-ghn7jn.html

10392394_1069524583061582_2793830245385354563_n.jpg

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Identity theft is a crime, 'Darvo'. I can't imagine what Bill would say.

Just sat down and looked at all the returning players for this season, and threw together a returning First XV. Obviously new students + last year's 15 and 16As will throw some bolters in to the mix for a Queensland team, but this ain't that.
  1. Lloyd Gorman (State High)
  2. Blake Schoupp (Nudgee)
  3. Chris Yanopa (BBC - you can't ignore the little fireball!)
  4. Angus Blyth (Southport, tall timber being headhunted by the AFL. They always take one super tall lock regardless of ability)
  5. Hugh Arthur (Brisbane Grammar - injured in 2015)
  6. Fraser McReight (Brisbane Grammar, third year of First XV)
  7. Tipene Mavoa (Southport)
  8. Isaac Lucas (Gregory Terrace, flyhalf destined for a move to 9 eventually)
  9. Augustus Rangihuna (Nudgee)
  10. Brendan Malala (Nudgee)
  11. Ashton Watson (Toowoomba Grammar)
  12. Len Ikitau (BBC)
  13. Will Eadie (Gregory Terrace)
  14. Murray Taulagi (State High)
  15. Sean Farrell (BBC - third year of First XV)
  16. Oliver Macklin (GT)
  17. Josh Nasser (GT - needs set piece improvement, but size + pedigree helps)
  18. Richard Clift (TGS)
  19. Patrick Tafa (BSHS)
  20. Isaac Henry (BBC - only returning halfback)
  21. Semisi Tupou (NC - this kid is going to be good)
  22. Tristan Stanghorn (Churchie)

Ben Simpson of BBC at 14 ? Qld 2 last year and shadow reserve for Aussie A. Boys at the flats rate him

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Also, the new monster prop at TSS is called Samuel Dobbs. He turned 18 in March, and as far as I can tell started at TSS this year - he was in Canberra finishing Year 12 in November last year.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/powerhouse-teen-picks-up-judo-as-a-core-motif-20121021-27zsn.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...unique-dual-international-20140621-zsduh.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...ng-olympic-dream-in-judo-20141017-117iex.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...sues-act-brumbies-career-20150613-ghn7jn.html

View attachment 7894

So if he was finishing year 12 last year in ACT, what is he doing at BBC this year? Surely it's not just to have a crack at QLD/AUS schoolboys? Reading the articles, his hearts in Judo and he only switched to union recently. Whatever the reason though, the kid is multi-talented - what an athlete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Nicholson (4)
So if he was finishing year 12 last year in ACT, what is he doing at BBC this year? Surely it's not just to have a crack at QLD/AUS schoolboys? Reading the articles, his hearts in Judo and he only switched to union recently. Whatever the reason though, the kid is multi-talented - what an athlete!

Some similiar images of him on the rampage in HJ's photo link.

View attachment 7894

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I'll throw Harry Webster (7) in from GT as a smokey - I watched him a lot last season and he came on really well for a true 16 year old, IF he keeps improving could have a monster year and I think he is better suited to 7 than McReight who easily fits at 6 or 8

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
I'll throw Harry Webster (7) in from GT as a smokey - I watched him a lot last season and he came on really well for a true 16 year old, IF he keeps improving could have a monster year and I think he is better suited to 7 than McReight who easily fits at 6 or 8

Terrible to have to agree with B&G, but like Webster who is quality at no 7, there are a lot of quality boys left off the list who have always been in the mix but being late bloomers, have been overlooked. Hicks from IPPY always in consideration. These "rep players" from last year and "2nd year" 18 year old boys, do not hold incumbency on positions. Word from the TSS trials is that some of the "stars" on the list did not shine as brightly this time, as other boys had caught up and overtaken them in size and ability. It will be interesting to see what transpires at IPPY in two weeks. Hopefully all boys will start with a clean slate and on equal footing, leaving last year's reputations behind.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Isaac Lucas Won't play 9. Tarabay or Henry are alot more likely or a boy from outside GPS with Lucas to play 10.

Simpson seems a very likely starting wing

I'd forgotten Tarabay.

My concern for Lucas is size - I'm barely 6', and I recall towering over him when I umpired him in cricket in Term 1. He's got to be the smallest Lucas brother there is, so I'm envisioning another Matt more than a Tom or Ben.

Amongst his competition, height/size is definitely one of the things Augustus Rangihuna has going for him. He played quite a few matches at 10 last year covering for Moseley, and he brought some really good skills over from fullback. A back of the hand offload to Sam Armstrong for a try v BBC stands out in my mind.

It feels like BBC had so many different wingers it's hard to keep track of who was whom. I thought the starters were Verevis and Joe Stead?

Either way, I'm in love with Malala and Eadie, and I think Taulagi will end up being an automatic selection at 15. If Watson and Ikitau are locked in to the centres then I can't see a starting spot for Simpson.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
I'd forgotten Tarabay.

My concern for Lucas is size - I'm barely 6', and I recall towering over him when I umpired him in cricket in Term 1. He's got to be the smallest Lucas brother there is, so I'm envisioning another Matt more than a Tom or Ben.

Amongst his competition, height/size is definitely one of the things Augustus Rangihuna has going for him. He played quite a few matches at 10 last year covering for Moseley, and he brought some really good skills over from fullback. A back of the hand offload to Sam Armstrong for a try v BBC stands out in my mind.

It feels like BBC had so many different wingers it's hard to keep track of who was whom. I thought the starters were Verevis and Joe Stead?

Either way, I'm in love with Malala and Eadie, and I think Taulagi will end up being an automatic selection at 15. If Watson and Ikitau are locked in to the centres then I can't see a starting spot for Simpson.

And there it is "AUTOMATIC SELECTION". SHS 15 was the weakest of the three to play on Saturday in that pool. Then there were two other pools! Have you watched the footage? If we are serious and want to see Rugby improve to a point where we are not only competitive, but actually win the crunch games, the "automatic selections" have to stop. We need to stop looking at surnames and start watching players more closely!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
We need to stop looking at surnames and start watching players more closely!

I've had the chance to watch Murray Taulagi a lot over the last few weeks.

Instead of training with State High for the preseason, he's been starting for University's finals-bound Premier Colts. He hasn't missed a beat and looks a totally natural fit in the U19 all star team.

Given his potential, as a sibling to JJ, and his ability to mix it with the big kids, he should be well above First XV level by now.
He should look a class above the rest of the field, and I think he will when the season rolls around.

I'm sure a poor performance in his first trial game back with the team since last year shouldn't harm his chances?

Note: I haven't seen any footage from the trials, all my information is what I've gleaned from conversations with a couple of BGS Firsts' players

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
I've had the chance to watch Murray Taulagi a lot over the last few weeks.

Instead of training with State High for the preseason, he's been starting for University's finals-bound Premier Colts. He hasn't missed a beat and looks a totally natural fit in the U19 all star team.

Given his potential, as a sibling to JJ, and his ability to mix it with the big kids, he should be well above First XV level by now.
He should look a class above the rest of the field, and I think he will when the season rolls around.

I'm sure a poor performance in his first trial game back with the team since last year shouldn't harm his chances?

Note: I haven't seen any footage from the trials, all my information is what I've gleaned from conversations with a couple of BGS Firsts' players

That being said, it should never be the policy of having "incumbency or automatic" selection in school boy sport given the different developmental rate each boy can have. Have read on this site regularly about boys growing 12cm and putting on 12kgs in the off season. To your other point, "siblings", do you simply dismiss an only child in favour of a younger sibling from a large family? I know of many "siblings" who have little of the talent of their older brother/sister. Use as a guide only.

Frank Nicholson (4)
That being said, it should never be the policy of having "incumbency or automatic" selection in school boy sport given the different developmental rate each boy can have. Have read on this site regularly about boys growing 12cm and putting on 12kgs in the off season. To your other point, "siblings", do you simply dismiss an only child in favour of a younger sibling from a large family? I know of many "siblings" who have little of the talent of their older brother/sister. Use as a guide only.

It's a crusty and inbred aspect of the code.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)

Before you start reading, I'm sorry. I clearly have far, far too much time on my hands.

1. JJ Taulagi is considered big enough to play Super Rugby. Murray is already bigger than JJ.

3. Having watched Murray a couple of times last year, and for maybe the last five weeks at Premier Colts, it is clear that Murray is cut from the same cloth from JJ. They have similar skillsets and the same style of play - attack the line, use footwork to break tackles, look for continuity with offloads.

4. In an interview I did with JJ last year, he spoke about his experience coaching the Uni U18 Sevens team to a Noosa Sevens win. That team had guys like Kris Verevis, Kalala Meni, Tony Hunt and Jaydn Ngamanu, and JJ said his brother made the biggest impact on the tournament.

5. Murray has already played tournaments with Tribe Sevens, arguably the world's best touring Sevens team.

6. In the siblings argument, we've watched Murray's greatest influencer play for the Reds. Just like I'd argue that there is a good chance that Isaac Lucas will attempt Rugby Sevens and be pretty good at it - we can make this call because three of his brothers went through.

How about some examples from the last twelve months?

1.Brendan Nasser's son turns out to be pretty good at rugby.
2.The younger brother of Western Force lock Tom Hockings turned out to be pretty good - he's playing for the Aus U20s at 17 years old.
3. Isaac Lucas is pretty good.
4. Sam Scott Young's son turned out alright - he's playing Aus U20s at 18.
5. Tim Horan's son is bloody unlucky not to be starting for Premier Grade, at 19.
6. Mack Mason's little brother is about to start at 10 for Churchie.
7. Matt Bougoure from TGS was just like his elder brother Stu, who was a gun.
8. I saw Angus Blyth's little brother got selected to the Queensland U15s - what are the odds that he is going to grow in to a very tall second rower?
9. Twins Harry and Jared Hoopert both played First XV for Toowoomba Grammar
10. Twins Jack and Sean Farrell played First XV for BBC
11. Mitch Straker played First XV in Year 11, just like his brother Jack Straker (Aus Schoolboys)
12. Tiaontin Raoren's little brother Tony is expected to star for BBC in 2016
13. Campbell Halliday (BGS) took over BGS' halfback spot from elder brother Fergus, both represented Queensland in the position.
14. Toowoomba fullback BJ Oates (2015) is the younger brother of Broncos wing Corey Oates. Guess what? He's great at footy too!
15. Terrace Hooker Harry Birgin was a star for GT's First XV - just like elder brother Ben, from 2011
16. A little bloke named Shea Lalagavesi from State High appeared on a JGC team sheet last year - I didn't even have to check to guess that his position was 14, because he was the younger brother of State High's 2009 dream team winger and current Souths Magpies speedster Josateki Lalagavesi.
17. Neal McNamara started for State High on the wing last year, he was the younger brother of Australian U20s fullback Liam McNamara
18. Richard Clift, the lock from Toowoomba Grammar, is going to be a fair shout for Queensland this year. His elder brother played for the Melbourne Rebels U20s this year.
19. Likewise, Tom Jeffries from Nudgee College will probably be a very good player at First XV level - his eldest brother Sam plays for the Rebels, his middle brother Nick played GPS 1 in 2014.
20. Matt Sautia was a dynamic Number 8 - you probably could have guessed that he would have a good turn of pace, considering he's the little brother of Chris Feauai-Sautia
21. Terrace winger Matt Forsyth played three years of First XV. You can tell he was pretty quick - his elder brother Dan, BGS' 2013 halfback, is a current Australian 400m champion.
22. Nudgee college flanker Kalala Meni played for the Australian Schoolboys, while his little brother TJ played on the wing for the First XV. Talented siblings strike again
23. Churchie flanker James McMillan played Australian Schoolboys - just like his older brother Digger, who played in 2013.
24. BGS flanker Fraser McReight is the representative star of his First XV - just like his elder brother Stuart was in 2013.

All this is to say that to have an older sibling to learn the ropes from, with the same genetic material, have a better chance at being better than their peers.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
^^^^

I find this arguement quite redundant because how would have sibling being found if he missed is spot because of someone else being picked on being a sibling

Every player should be picked on his own merits, great points William wallace

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
"All this is to say that to have an older sibling to learn the ropes from, with the same genetic material, have a better chance at being better than their peers."

It appears we need to change the selection criteria then to read "must have an older brother, father, great uncle ..." to be selected as these boys have a better chance than others. What rubbish King. You are normally right on the mark with your comments. This last line is line exactly why we need to change the selection habit of "picking siblings" first. Begs the hypothetical question though; Would these younger siblings be selected if they were not following a named big brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.