• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
1st half back line for NC would of been their number 1. The only one who could be an outside chance is Soli, but He's been injured and will have to play a blinder to work his way in.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Nudgee team list v BSHS

1. Joe Cotton
2. Blake Schoupp
3. Lachlan Campbell
4. Tom Jeffries
5. Harry Cannon
6. Simon Asela
7. Jacob Carmichael
8. Joe Small
9. Phoenix Hunt
10. Augustus Rangihuna
11. Tyrell Denduck
12. Tj Meni
13. Semisi Tupou
14. Jacob Preval
15. Willie Malala

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allblackseverything

Frank Row (1)
Anyone from NC know what is going on with Hary Luka? Last I heard, he was out for the season with a shoulder injury. It'd be a shame if we don't get to see his talents.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
BBC v ACGS yesterday
1) BBC won 13A ,14,& 15 A by big margins and squeaked home in 16A and Firsts ;
2) allow yourself an hour to park in burbs and walk to grounds at ACGS - parking a disgrace;
3) ACGS have good depth as they won the 2 nds with BBC having 4 certain 1st xv players returning from injury in the 2nds ;
4) can anyone believe the injury count across all schools already? Heard there was a bad injury to a BSHS player as well .
5) BBC already down to 3 rd choice number 10 and still cant find a 7 ;
6)3rd match they have been badly beaten at breakdown .

BBC will not get near TSS and Other top teams unless their 10 ( last years 9) returns from injury and they find a fit !,fast ball scavenger 7)

Interesting to watch the 2nds and 1sts at Churchie yesterday. This year is the year all the first wave of BBC scholarships have made it through to senior rugby. In some ways it looks like BBC were buying homebrand labels. The 2nds were all froth and no bubble. Lightning line speed early but that lasted five minutes. Churchie dominated the game after that. Poor showing from BBC - the most expensive 2nd XV known to man kind.
I was expecting more from the BBC 1sts and was interested to see how Churchie would hold up after last year of course. Churchie held their own well in the end. They seem to be a solid unit and well coached. Some brain snaps didn't help the BBC cause. Some heat on in the backs caused panic but Churchie didn't have genuine speed out wide. The BBC #2 was rattled early and any team worth their salt should just chase him for comedy factor. He started playing the man not the ball all the while his focus seemed more so on his fancy hair do. The Churchie boys played it smart ruffling him up and he gave away silly penalties.
I walked away thinking such a star studded team should have done way more. It was also confirmed for me that Drahm was give one million bucks to improve the program this year. Hard to believe. Mind you, I'm not sure what was more expensive on the day - the playing talent on the field or the throng of coaches (Humpheries, Drahm, Nance) who wouldn't be there for a burger and a Coke...
There still seems to be a culture issue at BBC and in hindsight it's hard to shake that when you keep bringing new players in for one purpose. The seconds looked like a bunch of individuals trying to get into the 1sts - unlikely on their display. I'm keen BBC again this year after a few more games under their belt. Early days still

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
Inside word from GT, yr 11 prop Harry Wison is a definite starter for the firsts this year, and although this year is probably too early, he will make schoolboys next year. He is from NSW originally and is a year older. Very aggressive runner, good at the breakdown and good defender. A very dynamic second rower. Very much in the Retallick mould.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
For BSHS, Quinton Mahina and Antonio P are back again this year and will most likely be there 12/13 combo.
Fenner (second row) is also not in that team list and will most likely play?

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
This year is the year all the first wave of BBC scholarships have made it through to senior rugby.

Poor old Toowong boys-the 1st wave was about 10 years behind the big 3 (TSS,NC & ACGS)-but I do like the village atmosphere at their old style rectangular ground(the last of its kind in GPS I think)

Slimjim1966

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone have a report from TSS v TGS on Saturday ? I hear that either TSS were extremely good or TGS were a fair way off the mark?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
It appears reports concerning the extent of Chris Yanopa's injuries have been exaggerated. The Chimbou mountains native took the field for BBC in their trial over the weekend.

13342945_899773290144993_5852219542135297609_n.jpg

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Just a reminder to forum users everywhere, this is real life and kids do read the forums.

Someone criticised BBC's hooker's haircut over the weekend, and on Monday afternoon he posted this.

Try be nice to people, people!

f3f2ccbc787c405059b2f7702321ffb1.jpg

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
For BSHS, Quinton Mahina and Antonio P are back again this year and will most likely be there 12/13 combo.
Fenner (second row) is also not in that team list and will most likely play?

Surely Mahina will play 10 after playing there last year?

I believe Elijah Kuilamu (2015 THP) and Rudi Levi (2015 lock) are also returning, so they should add some depth, especially at lock - Victor Tualima + Fenner + Levi must be among the deepest positional stocks in the comp.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Mr King
when you get a chance can you let me know your thoughts on who would have won a match between BSHS 2009 team ( 8 aussie schoolboys) and 2014 ACGS team (with 1 nrl player and 4 or 5 aussie under 20 players)

Again, sorry. I'm procrastinating like crazy.

My initial reaction was "of course, BSHS would wipe the floor with them", but I was too young to really understand what was going on watching that 2009 team.

I think if you looked at results, I feel would have BSHS won their games by a larger margin than Churchie in 2014, which further skews my gut feeling towards State High.

If you look at star players from BSHS, Curtis Browning, Sautia and Paul Alo'Emile went on to make names for themselves, so there was a talented core of players there.

Then I put on my devils advocate hat.

BSHS dominated in an era where TSS and NC were the only teams handing out sports scholarships. The rest of the competition was far weaker than what it is today.

Churchie won their premiership only playing against one non-sorting scholarship school (BGS, whose imports to build the team around were literally all hurt).

In terms of star power, it took Browning until 2016 to be a legit starter for the Reds. Sautia's injuries kept him out of contention for years. Alo'Emile wasn't considered good enough for Queensland to try keep. Rohan Saifoloi (flyhalf) is a Shute shield starter who looks like will never go pro. Matt Ika was an occasional starter at Norths last year. Jordan Tuapou I think has retired completely after the birth of his baby. Joey Lalagavesi played Reserve Grade for Souths last year. Joel Faulkner was a standard Premier Grade winger at Easts.

Compare that to Churchie's 2014 class.

The Broncos youngest ever forward to play in the NRL. The Cowboys 17 year old who started a bidding war accross every NRL team and Super Rugby team in the country, and who has already trained with the NZ National league team. The lock who Brad Thorn told me "would be the next Rob Simmons, with none of the injuries holding him back". The 5'9 winger who the Reds signed after just two NRC games. Three other Australian U20 representatives just one year out of school.

Ultimately it comes down to a yard stick for me. The one game I saw both teams play.

BSHS 103-0. ACGS 93-0.

State High received the kickoff, spread it through the hands and scored, almost every single phase. Much like Nudgee v BGS in 2015, they didn't need to create anything in attack because the defence was so bad.

ACGS, under the leadership of Mason at 10, were calling moves in general play that were literally unstoppable. Attacking threats like Izaia Perese, Ponga, Su'a and Croft were just too dynamic for BGS to lay hands on - through sheer skill and athleticism, not shameful defending.

I think I'd take Churchie by four points. It would be a fantastic game.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
This year is the year all the first wave of BBC scholarships have made it through to senior rugby.

Poor old Toowong boys-the 1st wave was about 10 years behind the big 3 (TSS,NC & ACGS)-but I do like the village atmosphere at their old style rectangular ground(the last of its kind in GPS I think)

And that village atmosphere seems to be the only good thing they have atm

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
And that village atmosphere seems to be the only good thing they have atm

What a fair , sensible & erudite statement (from an obvious schoolboy).
I am not a BBC supporter(TSS for me ) but I am really impressed by the coaching panel they have put together this year plus if you look at last years records you will see they got in 2015:
11A - 1st;
13A -3rd
14 A -1st
16A -2nd
1st xv -3rd.
Aussie schoolboys =5

Yes room to improve but your statement is without foundation.

Slimjim1966

Frank Nicholson (4)
What a fair , sensible & erudite statement (from an obvious schoolboy).
I am not a BBC supporter(TSS for me ) but I am really impressed by the coaching panel they have put together this year plus if you look at last years records you will see they got in 2015:
11A - 1st;
13A -3rd
14 A -1st
16A -2nd
1st xv -3rd.
Aussie schoolboys =5

Yes room to improve but your statement is without foundation.

Noticed a few coaches for BBC at the TSS weekend , noticed Drahm and Humphries. Who were the others ?

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
Word has it that Nasser from GT has been having private scrummaging lessons with wallabies scrum doctor Mario Ledesma to improve his set piece play. My opinion is if that facet of his game is improved, his game will go to another level and Aussie schoolboys recognition will surely follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.