• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think Horne will still defend in the 12 channel. Foley will drop back and kerevi will defend as ten.

Too many moving parts in that equation. Foley drops, Horne defends at 10.

Good luck getting out of the game with your ribs intact, Luther.

T

Tip

Beale and Kerevi is every bit as appetizing as Kerevi and Kuridrani. Maybe next World Cup.

I don't think Tevita is finished. The astounding thing is that he'll only be 28 next world cup. Everyone has their form slumps.

Once Beale's fit, I'd like to see Cheika turn our wingers from a weakness to a strength. Give Beale the 11 jersey and roaming commission in attack. Folau struggles to inject himself into the game at 14, so I'd keep the #15or13 on him at all times.
Foley, Beale, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Speight, Folau could be the biggest blackline ever selected for Australia come RC.

Re: tonight, Horne will defend at 10. Foley will roam as a second fullback. Except lineouts, where Foley will defend in the Hookers channel, and Hooper at 10.
Hooper the shooter is always exciting off the lineout

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
People say that but Cheika invested two years in developing him behind Palu. He'll be a Wallaby sooner rather than later. Probably EOYT.

We should bear in mind that Cheika's careful handling of Holloway might have actually added to his potential. If Cheika thinks he's not ready that suggests he's not physically ready, since he clearly has the playing ability.

Just hope you're right on all counts Groucho.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Great for Kerevi.

Think he lacks genuine ball skills and down a bit on ball security.

BUT once he's got the ball in hand he becomes a train wreck for opposition.

His lateral defence is also a worry but I think Hooper will be covering behind Kerevi to alleviate the potential problem.

Guy can be a game winner.

Go the Wallabies

I hope he lives up to his promise. If he does, this could be the start of a long running backline comprising, 11 Tomane, 12 Kerevi, 13 Kuridrani, 14 Speight/DHP, 15 Folau. That would put a lot of fear and trepidation into most oppositions.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Got a little bored waiting for the game and watched the RWC test between the two this afternoon.

Owen Farrell was the starting 10 that day and although his goal kicking was top shelf he struggled to direct his side around the park well. I may be wrong but I seem to have gathered that Farrell played 12 outside George Ford for most of the 6Ns this year. Is that right?
Bernard Foley almost single handedly gave the England side a shafting they will not soon forget. How anyone can compare his ability to control and influence a test match to that of Owen Farrells is just laughable.
Greg Holmes had Vunipolas measure from when he entered the cauldron pretty much and this Wallaby pack is very similar to the one that destroyed the Poms on that fateful day last year. Arnold well may bring more to the party than Douglas and on the other side of the ledger we have the red roses new wonder boy Maro Itoje who we are not familiar with but he arrives with very big raps. He will not be able to do it on his own.

It remains to be seen what the new blokes bring to the game on both sides but I don't think too much will have changed. The Poms have the benefit of a very successful 6 nations and they may just get jump on the Wallabies early. However, the quality of the Wallabies will shine through and if the new centre partnership blossoms then it could be a long night for the Poms.

The one weakness I can see is maybe at scrum half for us. Although Will Genia got charged down a couple of times while box kicking in that game he most often took good options and directed the play well. In contrast Phipps threw some wailers and almost cost the Wallabies seriously when he came on. Hopefully this has been addressed and he comes into this test with a good mindset. Hs service was very quick and if accurate the English will struggle with the speed of the Wallaby attack.

Going to bed now and am excited to see what happens in the morning.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon the codename for 'project Kerevi' in camp Wallaby is 'Nonu'..just because he isn't a natural playmaking 12 doesn't mean he can't become one.

It took Nonu quite a few seasons to broaden his skill-set to the point where he did more than bash the line.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have to admit I'm loving this talk of 'bodyline' rugby from England. I reckon it plays right into our hands.

It's a trap the Saffers fall into all the time. They see us as being soft, and think the best way to win is to bash us into submission. But 90% of the time that fails.

The ABs have shown that yes, phyisicality is important but the key is speed. If you can play quick rugby that eliminates our line speed and keeps us on our heels then you are right in the game. It eliminates Pocock and Hooper's influence and the gaps start to appear.

But if you want to play slow, heavyweight footy then we will eat you alive. You'll be strangled by our line speed, and our backrow will be all over the ball at every ruck.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Got a little bored waiting for the game and watched the RWC test between the two this afternoon.

Owen Farrell was the starting 10 that day and although his goal kicking was top shelf he struggled to direct his side around the park well. I may be wrong but I seem to have gathered that Farrell played 12 outside George Ford for most of the 6Ns this year. Is that right?
Bernard Foley almost single handedly gave the England side a shafting they will not soon forget. How anyone can compare his ability to control and influence a test match to that of Owen Farrells is just laughable.
Greg Holmes had Vunipolas measure from when he entered the cauldron pretty much and this Wallaby pack is very similar to the one that destroyed the Poms on that fateful day last year. Arnold well may bring more to the party than Douglas and on the other side of the ledger we have the red roses new wonder boy Maro Itoje who we are not familiar with but he arrives with very big raps. He will not be able to do it on his own.

Yes Foley destroyed the poms. But what did he do for the wallabies before that game? As I recall he was heavily criticised for the same things your criticising Farrell for - failing to direct his team around the park. Half of G&GR wanted Cooper.

You seem to be judging Farrell solely on that one test. I think you need to take a look at some footage of him this year at Saracens. To my surprise he looks dangerous! Passing and offloading really well. Directing his team really well. I think he is now widely regarded as the best flyhalf in Europe ahead of Carter and Sexton.

I think the gap between Farrell and Foley is closer then you think. As with Foley who has made leaps and bounds since his wallabies berth, I think Farrell has made leaps and bounds since the RWC.

Plus he one of the best goal-kickers which Foley ain't or will ever be.

I don't think he quite at Foley's level yet but I hate underestimating the opposition. Nothing laughable about that.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I have to admit I'm loving this talk of 'bodyline' rugby from England. I reckon it plays right into our hands.

It's a trap the Saffers fall into all the time. They see us as being soft, and think the best way to win is to bash us into submission. But 90% of the time that fails.

The ABs have shown that yes, phyisicality is important but the key is speed. If you can play quick rugby that eliminates our line speed and keeps us on our heels then you are right in the game. It eliminates Pocock and Hooper's influence and the gaps start to appear.

But if you want to play slow, heavyweight footy then we will eat you alive. You'll be strangled by our line speed, and our backrow will be all over the ball at every ruck.
The problem for England is that fast rugby requires fast ball from those rucks, and they've chosen a slow, heavyweight back row. That seriously limits their width and the opportunity to use their fast backline. By contrast we can play outside the breakdown range of their back row. Fast back rowers are a huge advantage in the modern game, at least down here where pitches are hard and games don't develop into mudfests.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes Foley destroyed the poms. But what did he do for the wallabies before that game? As I recall he was heavily criticised for the same things your criticising Farrell for - failing to direct his team around the park. Half of G&GR wanted Cooper.

You seem to be judging Farrell solely on that one test. I think you need to take a look at some footage of him this year at Saracens. To my surprise he looks dangerous! Passing and offloading really well. Directing his team really well. I think he is now widely regarded as the best flyhalf in Europe ahead of Carter and Sexton.

I think the gap between Farrell and Foley is closer then you think. As with Foley who has made leaps and bounds since his wallabies berth, I think Farrell has made leaps and bounds since the RWC.

Plus he one of the best goal-kickers which Foley ain't or will ever be.

I don't think he quite at Foley's level yet but I hate underestimating the opposition. Nothing laughable about that.
Half of G&GR wanted Quade but the other half wanted Foley. There's probably nothing he can ever do on the field to assuage his critics. I can remember people on the Roar sternly explaining how he actually played badly that day against England. A cynic might suggest this is a good example of confirmation bias.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It took Nonu quite a few seasons to broaden his skill-set to the point where he did more than bash the line.
Yes I know and that's the point. He can develop his skill set but it will involve persistence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Half of G&GR wanted Quade but the other half wanted Foley. There's probably nothing he can ever do on the field to assuage his critics. I can remember people on the Roar sternly explaining how he actually played badly that day against England. A cynic might suggest this is a good example of confirmation bias.

I think that ratio have vastly diminished post RWC. The reason I believe this is because I would have picked Cooper back then. But now I believe without a doubt in my mind Foley to the best flyhalf in Australia - with daylight second.

I think it would be more like 80% prefer Foley now.

But the point of my entire previous post is that Foley has improved his game in the last 1-2years to be the clear frontrunner - I don't think it's unreasonable to assume Farrell hasn't made similar, or even better improvements.

We should not be assuming Farrell is going to the same player as he was during the RWC. Just like Foley wasn't the same player he was at the RWC compared to him in the previous EOYT which was pretty damn average.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Think people are underestimating Kerevi's hands. Case in point the first try he scored against the Bulls this year - an atrocious pass from Hunt which he grabbed one-handed before steam-rolling several Bulls to dot down.

The second Kerevi try is beauty as well. Great line off first phase, over the advantae line, offload to the 13 running the right supporting line and bam.

Kerevi can be that 12 we need, like Nonu. His primary ability right now is the crash/line ball, taking the ball at speed and either steppign or boshing his way through. He can develop an offloading game, then a more rounded passing game as he gets better and better.

Being faster, bigger and more explosive, Kerevi would do a better job of that line that Ant runs to set him up, and with TK receiving offloads and Folau in support we're looking good.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The annual tour to the first test of the season is coming to a close with what i expect will be a rivetting and tense match.
As usual in rugby the time spent with good mates in the lead up is as good as the game itself for me. Now I will, as always observe the rules of touring confidentiality, but if anybody ever gets a chance to see ex All Black Eric Rush speak, do it. I had tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard, pure Gold from start to finish. Totally unPC, irreverent and somewhat colourful but absolutely hilarious.

Come on Wallabies, a victory over the soap dodgers will perfectly cap another brilliant tour and i can have happy beers instead of the alternative.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies by 12

Folau to have a beauty and the last 20 will be telling on the final result.

Looking forward to the startof Kerevi, the return of Kepu and the impact of McMahon, Slipper and TPN in the final stanza

Status
Not open for further replies.