• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS U16s 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
CAS 16s went down to Pres A 14-23 in a gutsy performance which showed that the gap b/w the associations at this age is a narrow one. If a few things had gone right, CAS may well have come away with the win. Strangely, the coaches decided to completely change yesterday's dominant line out and pulled the best jumper, Moretti to stand in the centres at line out time. CAS then barely took a line out all day gifting the GPS boys with ample possession. They also turned over ball at the breakdown which GPS pressured well.

CAS tackled themselves to a stand still and put good pressure on GPS in defence. They also scored a couple of tries, one through slick backline work down the right side with Cameron and Bryden combining on a 40m breakout and Ilias finishing with good support, and the second to an Ilias intercept which had to be taken as GPS had a 3 man overlap.

All in all, a fine team effort that the boys can be very proud of, but the weight of possession was too great and GPS deserved the V.

Trobec and Moretti were playing different positions. Probably under request from NSW selectors, same as Westbury was moved to the wing.

Probable CAS nominees with probable NSW position:

Moretti (6)
Halfback (reserve 9)
Ilas (reserve 10/centre)
Cameron (13)
Westbury (11/14)
Hollingsworth-Dessent (Unless picked for combined states)

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Trobec and Moretti were playing different positions. Probably under request from NSW selectors, same as Westbury was moved to the wing.

Probable CAS nominees with probable NSW position:

Moretti (6)
Halfback (reserve 9)
Ilas (reserve 10/centre)
Cameron (13)
Westbury (11/14)
Hollingsworth-Dessent (Unless picked for combined states)
That's probably the only explanation that makes sense.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone got a match report from today?

Pres A 23 - Cas 14, great days rugby watched by all.
Pres A forwards were far superior in scrums and line outs and controlled the game , with the front row outstanding and with ball in hand very damaging setting a good platform for their backs which were not nearly as sharp as previous games . The score line flattered Cas but to their credit defended extremely well with Elias (10) and Towns (12) being there best backs and looking very dangerous with ball in hand. Morretti Cas (4) was their standout forward today . As for the Pres A team Angus Bell (15) was rock solid , Dom Easy was solid but well contained but man of the match must go to Will Harris (8) scored a great try off a charge down and his line out skills were outstanding and the difference.

As for earlier games standout players were Vaivelata (isa no8) ,Manowski(ccc no 5) and Driti (chs no1).

Plenty of talent on show and played in good spirit .

Review from the AAGPS thread by show and go.

First phase

Allen Oxlade (6)

Seems like a very odd request to CAS to undermine there own lineouts to show a lock standing in the centres? what would this possibly achieve?

S

sidelineview

Pres A 23 - Cas 14, great days rugby watched by all.
Pres A forwards were far superior in scrums and line outs and controlled the game , with the front row outstanding and with ball in hand very damaging setting a good platform for their backs which were not nearly as sharp as previous games . The score line flattered Cas but to their credit defended extremely well with Elias (10) and Towns (12) being there best backs and looking very dangerous with ball in hand. Morretti Cas (4) was their standout forward today . As for the Pres A team Angus Bell (15) was rock solid , Dom Easy was solid but well contained but man of the match must go to Will Harris (8) scored a great try off a charge down and his line out skills were outstanding and the difference.

As for earlier games standout players were Vaivelata (isa no8) ,Manowski(ccc no 5) and Driti (chs no1).

Plenty of talent on show and played in good spirit .

Review from the AAGPS thread by show and go.

Alternate Review by CatchnPass

GPS deserved the win, but in the interests of fair assessment would point out that selectors requested CAS 4, 6 and 8 all swap positions incl line out from the outset and 4 was removed from the line out altogether where he had dominated both matches yesterday. They also requested some backline movements in 2nd half which disrupted flow. This is nsw selection trials so the selectors are fully within rights to do this, but I did not see any such disruption to GPS who were gifted virtually every line out and so a huge possession advantage. Given the weight of possession I think a 9 pt margin was probably a bit unflattering to Pres A and had the same CAS set piece been allowed to present it would have been a very interesting match up indeed.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Seems like a very odd request to CAS to undermine there own lineouts to show a lock standing in the centres? what would this possibly achieve?

It's a selection trial, it appears the idea was to give Trobec and sub Reimer the chance to show what they could do at lineout time too, to give them a better chance at selection. Alas the throws were poor to the back of the lineout on the day, every time they threw to the back it would have worked if the throw was on point. So it seems the lineout caller shifted the call to the front as he didn't have confidence it could go to the back, despite that being where GPS had set up their only defensive pod. If Moretti was in, it would probably have not worked as they couldn't hit a throw at the back anyway. They attempted some different manouvres then at half time, the throw missed the mark each time. Just one of those days lineout wise. The scrum actually appeared better with the reserve front rowers which was interesting.

CAS were unlucky not to get the win. Two tries were scored from poor referring decisions; the player that picked up the kick and chase was several metres offside. And GPS turned the ball over by attacking the halfback while he was picking the ball up at the breakdown, they scored immediately after that turnover. Both should have been a penalty to CAS. A score difference of 14 in the end which would have meant a CAS victory.

The referee was on trial yesterday, I don't think he would have had great feedback.

Well done to CAS boys, enjoy your break.

R

Runpasstackle

I am sure this will be no way near the mark.. As horse trading continues however here is my NSW team for what its worth.
1. GPS #1
2. CHS #2
3. CHS #3
4. GPS #4
5. ISA (Max Douglas who played 18s)
6. GPS #8
7. CHS #7
8. GPS#20
9. CAS #9
10. CAS #10
11. ISA #15 Runner not a ball player
12. CAS #12
13. GPS #12
14. CAS Byron played in 18s
15. GPS #15

16.GPS #2
17.GPS #3
18. CCC #1
19. CCC #4
20. ISA #10
21. CHS #14
22. ISA #13
23. CCC #8

Break Up
GPS 8
CAS 4
CCC 3
CHS 4
ISA 4

Thoughts?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
History would suggest that the losing team in the final, if not on the end of a flogging, would reasonably expect to have more than 4 selected (and you have only selected 3 who actually played in the match??). Last year ISA went down by 23 points and had 7 selected. CAS going down by 9 pts should be similarly rewarded.

I'd also be surprised if CCC was seen as strong enough to be providing 3 players. Suspect more like 2-3 from each of CHS and ISA and maybe 1 from CCC, with 10 from GPS.

On the players who are eligible from Opens, I have no issue with them being available for 16s selection, and think they are both quality players. But there didn't seem to be a shortage of quality locks or wingers at the 16s trials and I'm not sure that being adjudged 10th best lock and 8th /9th best winger in the opens trials would give you a walk up start against them.

B

Backline_Move

History would suggest that the losing team in the final, if not on the end of a flogging, would reasonably expect to have more than 4 selected (and you have only selected 3 who actually played in the match??). Last year ISA went down by 23 points and had 7 selected. CAS going down by 9 pts should be similarly rewarded.

I'd also be surprised if CCC was seen as strong enough to be providing 3 players. Suspect more like 2-3 from each of CHS and ISA and maybe 1 from CCC, with 10 from GPS.

On the players who are eligible from Opens, I have no issue with them being available for 16s selection, and think they are both quality players. But there didn't seem to be a shortage of quality locks or wingers at the 16s trials and I'm not sure that being adjudged 10th best lock and 8th /9th best winger in the opens trials would give you a walk up start against them.

The best players were

Moretti
Molloy
Chambers
Ilas
Towns
Cameron
Westbury

They will probably be the ones in the squad (if CAS get that many along with the Trinity winger)

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)

Comparing scores from last year and this year is irrelevant. What needs to be considered is player performance. Standouts from CAS from the 16s trials were Cameron, Ilas, Moretti and possibly Chambers, who i believe may be pushing for selection in their positions.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^No argument there, and last year's score line was not really the point, simply that when competitive, teams in the final share the lollies. It simply beggars belief that only 3 players from CAS performed in a match lost 23-14 with tries locked up at 2 each.

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)
^^^^No argument there, and last year's score line was not really the point, simply that when competitive, teams in the final share the lollies. It simply beggars belief that only 3 players from CAS performed in a match lost 23-14 with tries locked up at 2 each.

If that is the case in your opinion, who else from the CAS team do you believe should be added to the selection suggestion then?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I am largely in agreement with @Backline Move though suspect the selectors will prefer Byron H-D to Westbury. I also think Reimer had a big impact off the bench against ISA and Pres A, but acknowledge the depth of quality back rowers may make his selection a longer shot.

Hollywood

Frank Row (1)
I am largely in agreement with @Backline Move though suspect the selectors will prefer Byron H-D to Westbury. I also think Reimer had a big impact off the bench against ISA and Pres A, but acknowledge the depth of quality back rowers may make his selection a longer shot.

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)

I agree re the comment about Reimer. Did he come on to play hooker at some stage? I was abit disappointed with the amount of game time he got considering the quality player he is. I would prefer him a loose forward. I did notice he picked up a nice pilfer against Presidents, which was not common throughout the trials. Hopefully he does get an opportunity.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Yes he did come on at hooker v CCC and immediately took a tight head that, as a back rower I'm sure he will dine out on for years to come!

R

Runpasstackle

Big call that cas should get more selections than ISA considering they scored match winner against run of play. Crowd and players were all equally shocked with end result.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
And the Wallabies almost lost to Scotland in the World Cup. If you were selecting a World 15 the day after the final, would you have had more Scots than Wobs in the squad? Good teams win the tight ones.

ISA came 4th losing 2 out of 3 matches, so the loss to CAS was no one-off lapse. CAS came second and held Pres A to 2 tries all. History in this and most other rugby tournaments will show that the finalists provide most of the higher level selections.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
And the Wallabies almost lost to Scotland in the World Cup. If you were selecting a World 15 the day after the final, would you have had more Scots than Wobs in the squad? Good teams win the tight ones.

ISA came 4th losing 2 out of 3 matches, so the loss to CAS was no one-off lapse. CAS came second and held Pres A to 2 tries all. History in this and most other rugby tournaments will show that the finalists provide most of the higher level selections.

Agree - but not in the GPS. The team leading the 16s comp can only get 1 player in the Pres As & Bs run on side.

Oh well, them's the breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.