• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Hurricanes, round 16, 9 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Canes too good. Tahs ordinary, far too many basic errors. Deserve to take nothing from that game. Cripple fight to see which Oz team gets to lose in the first week of the play-offs.

Brums. The Blues coronation has begun. Tahs play Blues in Auckland next week

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Everyone who is a fan of Australian Super Rugby teams:
tumblr_n06xsh9tim1sta92oo1_400.gif

Houndi

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't think a forecast 1-6mm of rain is going to swing this one either way, and will be offset anyway by the hot air emanating from Canberra.

I am glad to say I told you so. Excellent work from the canes to deliver the Brumbies the aussie conference title.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Went into this not much caring about the result but combination of (a) bullshit YC just before HT & (b) Kearns' constant whinging had me going hard out for 'canes in the second 40. Non RC for Naiyaravoro was the final straw, made no attempt to go for the ball & I really don't see how it then matters if the other bloke ends up on his arse or his elbow, it's the same offence & same sanction should apply IMO.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Soooo...... If Blues win with a bonus point and both Ponies and Tahs lose with no BP the kiwi conference wooden spooner will have more comp points than the conference winner from Aus.

What's golf like to watch?

G

galumay

Well the best side won tonite, Tahs strangely flat and didnt play as well as they have been lately. I thought the rain actually helped them, but the Canes just did enough in the second half to lock it away.

Makes next weeks game interesting, wouldnt be at all surprised if the Tahs beat the Bloos, but will that be enough to get them into the poison chalice finals?

None of the results this weekend would give any aussie supporter any optimism about the likely result of the Bledisloe cup games.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Went into this not much caring about the result but combination of (a) bullshit YC just before HT & (b) Kearns' constant whinging had me going hard out for 'canes in the second 40. Non RC for Naiyaravoro was the final straw, made no attempt to go for the ball & I really don't see how it then matters if the other bloke ends up on his arse or his elbow, it's the same offence & same sanction should apply IMO.
Meanwhile Beaudy Barrett neck rolls Foley and gets only a penalty.

I get your Kearns hate, he should be no where near the mic. But the Canes got the slight advantage from referee incompetence tonight.

G

galumay

I get the Kearns' whinging being enough to drive you going hard for the Canes, hell its nearly enough to make me go for them! But the YC was fair enough, those go either way and there was a whif of intent in the velocity of the swinging arm!

You might not like the laws, but only a YC was right for Naiyaravoro, the sanction is directley decided by how the tackled player lands. I dont like the law either, I would have it RC for any impact on the player in the air where the other player is not competing for the ball - it would quickly stop it.

He was hardly one sided if you believe it was lenient, Barret and the 17 who were strangling Foley) would both have been YC'd at the start of the season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Have a whine to World Rugby then. They have been very clear in their wishes regarding sanctions in this situation. Like it or not.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have a whine to World Rugby then. They have been very clear in their wishes regarding sanctions in this situation. Like it or not.

I've engaged the services of Gunston Gunston Gunston to whinge on my behalf :).

I get where WR (World Rugby) are coming from & 98% of the time they're right but in all honesty the 'cane who got carded just on HT & Naiyaravoro are at such differing ends of the offence/ sanction continuum it may as well be different sports.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Meanwhile Beaudy Barrett neck rolls Foley and gets only a penalty.

I get your Kearns hate, he should be no where near the mic. But the Canes got the slight advantage from referee incompetence tonight.

Actually I was OK with the Barrett action.

It was the yellow 17 attacking the face who should have gone.

Pollock had a few shockers no doubt.

Not going to fix a fat winger who gets pushed into touch 2m out, who also gave a stupid yellow that was lucky not to be red, and came off his wing multiple times to give the Canes space.

Generally, the Tahs just weren't good enough, except at the scrum.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Average score for Kiwi vs Aussie teams this round is 51-16.

And the highest scoring team was the Rebels.

Absolutely pathetic. Australian rugby is in crisis.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
We had our chances but Too many mistakes from the tahs. What would we give for a good line out? How long has it been since we didn't have to hold our breath on our own throws? How many phases did we have with the the ball in the first 20 mins. I think it was less than 10, and maybe less than 5. Seems like that at the ground anyways.

Thought we did well to get back in the game but letting the canes score while they were a man down was disappointing. Compounded by naiyaravoro's card soon after.

Thought Barrett was good for the canes.

All in all though, not a bad game of rugby with plenty of effort and feeling from both sides. The canes just had to much class, and took better options.

The pre game indigenous celebration was great to. Make it an annual event nsw rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Anyone else getting the impression that Pollock is turning a blind eye to a whole bunch of dodgy stuff the Canes are doing, but is cracking down hard on anything and everything the Tahs do.?!?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

It's a Jacksonesque performance - haven't blown the whistle for a while so I'll give a penalty, I've already given a couple of penalties for that so that'll do for a while, I must have missed a couple of things so I'll give a penalty here, etc, etc, etc.

Fairly ordinary display from a normally very good referee.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think a lot of Tahs' fans are being unnecessarily harsh on their team. They were undoubtedly the pick of a very poor bunch of teams from the Aus group this weekend, and on their recent form they would have the best chance of progressing in the finals if they make it.

I am very anxious about the upcoming tests against the ABs, but think that the Wallabies will still be competitive against the Saffas and Argies. No Bledisloe this year (or the next or...) but very possibly second place in TRC.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Soooo.. If Blues win with a bonus point and both Ponies and Tahs lose with no BP the kiwi conference wooden spooner will have more comp points than the conference winner from Aus.

What's golf like to watch?

Formula 1, Cricket & Netball are what I recommend - we can actually beat the kiwis in those sports

Status
Not open for further replies.