• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
why are the Reds not supporting in numbers?

So many promising moves killed off by isolation and no support.

Watching the Chiefs simply (and I really mean that) exploiting breaks by having runners always there - not just one for the first offload, but another for the second and another for the third if required.

The Chiefs are not alone, the NZ teams all do this.

How can this not be done by us?

We did make breaks. No one is there. What is going through the minds of these players?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This is a problem across all Aus franchises. I wonder if the players closest to the ball carrier are being told (coached) to be ready to hit the ruck when the carrier is brought down, so that they aren't really in a supporting position to take a pass? The expectation seems to be that the ball carrier will always be tackled, that the possibility of a line break is just so remote we won't worry about off loads and running support lines other than to form the ruck to protect the ball.

NoosaDolphinforlife

Frank Row (1)
I know that this is a 2017 forum but reds need to get gill back for 2019 and get a head coach and try to keep a team together for more than one season and get a experienced fly half and work on fitness

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Lancaster may be on the Reds interview list and is interviewing for the Force HC role as well. He's also interviewing for the Toulon position..

The 46 year old is pursuing several options at the moment, notably in Australia where there are vacant positions to be filled at Super Rugby franchises, the Queensland Reds and Western Force. The Reds application process closes on Friday and decisions on that post will be made over the next few weeks.

Telegraph

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I know that this is a 2017 forum but reds need to get gill back for 2019 and get a head coach and try to keep a team together for more than one season and get a experienced fly half and work on fitness

Gilly is gone. We need to get over it. He has made a decision which I fully support.

Simple fact is there is 2 or 3 blokes ahead of him at the Wallabies (rightfully or wrongly). He is therefore very unlikely to play in the national team for quite a number of years barring major injuries to those other guys, being Hooper, Poey and probably even McMahon.

Great money was on offer overseas.

I will be surprised if we ever see Gilly in national colours again and even at the Reds. His future seems to be overseas. Do I like that - shit NO. I hope I am wrong

But I tend to be a realist.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes there is definitely far too much emphasis on ball security by the Aus teams, and by contrast the Kiwi teams are standing off more in defence except when they stand a good chance of winning a pilfer. The Kiwis don't even have to slow our ball down, we do it ourselves by piling in. Quick ball is the only way to disorganise modern defences.

There was one tackle I remember from the Chiefs game where there was a promising half-break down the left flank by a Reds player who was tackled by a Chief, and two Reds players following up both charged over the top to secure the ball - but the Chief had rolled away and no other Chiefs were contesting. The ball was already available, and yet the instinct from both Reds was to form a ruck, not to pick the bloody ball up and go forward.

That one tackle just epitomised to me everything that's wrong with the Reds this year, and the Australian teams more generally. The instinct is all wrong. We say we play running rugby, but we actually treat rucks in the slow NH style. We just don't have the powerful forwards or the contestable kicking game to play proper NH rugby.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
the irony is that for all our emphasis on ball security, we end up losing the ball most of the time anyway because we dont know how to pass and catch.

I was thinking about this yesterday. While we do make a lot of handling errors, one of the reasons for that is because we are regularly carrying the ball for far too many phases. The Kiwi teams do make handling errors too, it's just that you'll rarely actually see them holding the ball for 7+ phases except in certain circumstances.

We hammer away at a well-set defence with one-out runners usually until we make a mistake, spill the ball in contact or get turned over. With the Kiwis, either they score a try within a few phases, or they kick it away.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brett McKay at the Roar put this graph together which shows a team's off-loading endeavors against it's general handling errors. Reds poor in both.

CnDTu4QVYAAgpHc.jpg

T

TOCC

Pretty damming in both...

Handling errors in isolation are a bad figure, but it's also a reflection of the poor structure they are playing with, the forward ball runners make themselves easy targets by standing flat-footed, the backs telegraph their play well ahead and make it easy for the opposition to pick them off, put in dominant tackles and force a turnover or handling error.

The attacking structure at the Reds in 2016 is absolutely shocking and I'd go as far to say it's the worst in the competition bar the Kings.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah it's pretty poor. I've remained somewhat optimistic (Ignorant?) this season despite the results though. I did what I tend to do and looked for stats to prove to me that all isn't lost and that our season wasn't as shit as our ladder position would indicate.

Yes we've had some big losses but we've had some seriously close ones too. We were precisely 8 points short of picking up 3 extra wins! That's fuck all! With those extra 8 points and 3 more wins we would jump up the ladder to..... erm........ oh. We'd still be 9th in the Australasian Conference.

We are that far behind that nothing would've changed if you take the two close losses and a draw and turn them into 3 wins. o_O

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Both those problems (forwards flat-footed and backs telegraphing) IMO ultimately come from slow ball. The forwards can't run onto the ball if it's taking that long to get out of the halfback's hands because they can't time their run. And the backs are forced to stand deep and flat-footed for the same reason, which means the opposition can shut down any moves, either by rushing up or by sliding. In all cases the opposition has time to get onside, get set and be ready for the next phase.

I don't know how MOC won the title with Leicester if they operated that way. His coaching style must have worked in NH rugby but it's clearly not working here.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It'd be like the dash for the Sydney 7's.

Based on the evidence seen so far this season, if QC (Quade Cooper) somehow is able to lob up in BrisVegas sometime this week, him attending a training session to get familiar with the game plan, starter plays and attacking structures may be detrimental to any chance the Reds may have of victory.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I don't know how MOC won the title with Leicester if they operated that way. His coaching style must have worked in NH rugby but it's clearly not working here.

I can't speak to his time at Leicester as I don't know much about it.

But he did inherit a very good Leinster side assembled and groomed by Joe Schmidt, not a big surprise they had success in the Pro-fucking 12 that year (Glasgow were really dire in the final if memory serves - couldn't even get across the line at any point).

Then the wheels came off the following year and the once high-flying Leinster squad couldn't even make the Pro-12 playoffs under MOC.

Have no faith in him as a potential head coach after watching the rabble that has been our backline week in and week out. The only two games that have stood out to me in terms of the backline actually functioning well (even then, not necessarily for the entire match) would be the Blues and the Highlanders. Blues came ~2 weeks after MOC/Stiles co-interim was announced and Highlanders about 4 weeks later. Hard for me the believe he had much influence in either as we've been largely shit outside of those two matches under his backline tutelage.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A report from the Standard in the UK.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rug...sland-reds-are-his-first-choice-a3293716.html

Saying the Reds are Lancaster's preferred option (nothing on whether Lancaster is the Reds' preferred option). But one line caught my eye:

Lancaster is keen to experience Super Rugby and his work in Australia would see him operate in a role similar to that of director of rugby working with two coaches.

Surely they're not proposing Stiles and O'Connor stay with Lancaster over the top????

Status
Not open for further replies.