• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Very disappointing to see the Wicks get diddled yesterday. Hats off to Shannon Fraser for the job he did with firsts this year.
What?
Blame the ref if it makes you feel better,but that game was lost in the 10-12 channel.
The ref shouldn't have to make tackles for over rated players :)

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
What?
Blame the ref if it makes you feel better,but that game was lost in the 10-12 channel.
The ref shouldn't have to make tackles for over rated players :)

Don't disagree entirely. Point was that tries were scored in the 10-12 channel when our 12 was in the sin bin. Go look at the replay of the incident that led to the binning and tell me you believe that was a good decision.
Still, I don't want to take anything away from Souths - they played the game and the referee better than the Wix.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
Don't disagree entirely. Point was that tries were scored in the 10-12 channel when our 12 was in the sin bin. Go look at the replay of the incident that led to the binning and tell me you believe that was a good decision.
Still, I don't want to take anything away from Souths - they played the game and the referee better than the Wix.

I think you mean Roods who played 13 and went to the bin. Horwitz played 12 and missed crucial tackles on Apo Latunipulu that led to tries.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No tries were scored when Roods was off.his binning had zero impact on the game.
They scored one later when a man short.
off a scrum when Kuki had to pack down at flanker, but if you look watch the replay you will see how poorly it was defended.4 Souths guys could have scored untouched.
Deegan didn't take his man,and Horwitz took no one.
As an aside,Roods playsing a grade higher than Kuki is puzzling.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't blame the officials for the loss but it's certainly frustrating when they make such bad errors eg the AR's report regarding the penalty against Hanigan from a Wicks kickoff --- the AR stated that the reason for the penalty was because the second Wicks player wasn't contesting the ball when the TV clearly showed Hanigan was the only Wicks player within 10 metres and he caught the ball.

I agree Wicks lost the game through missed opportunities, mistakes and poor defence in the 10-12 channel in their own red zone. But in spite of all that there was only a penalty goal in it.

BTW, Roods has been in great form all year whereas Kuki, who undoubtedly has the talent, has been inconsistent and has missed several games.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For those who missed the Wicks reserves win their grand final- some slightly hazy memories below
A tale of two halves as Wicks opened the scoring when the Wicks 10 jumped on a lose ball and got clear down the left side to offload a perfectly timed pass for wicks to score in the corner. A sideline conversion at 7-0 after 10 minutes. Easts looked slightly dazed and made some mistakes as Wicks had the defence pushing up hard. Ten minutes later Wicks were in again near the same spot and another good conversion-14-0. Easts were trying hard but passes were not sticking and it appeared the Wicks were getting the bounce.
The Wicks forwards were dominating the set piece and despite the efforts of a vocal easts crowd, the lineouts were going to the right place. Wicks waited another ten minutes before going in again after some very good close in work by the forwards. Half time saw the Wicks in control at 21-0. Most of the half had been played at Easts end the second half started much the same. Wicks scrum had dominance and the hooker was having his best game this year. The seven was far more disciplined in his attack on the ball and the Wicks piled on pressure. A scrum to Wicks some 5 mts out saw what looked like a pushover try which was ultimately given as a penalty try. 28-0
Easts to their great credit started their fightback in ernest with thirty to go.
Easts camped in the Wicks half for the rest of the match. They made repeated forays in tight , out wide, in tight again but the Wicks held and held again. The wicks hooker (man of the match IMO) was stretchered off with some concern and the scrum lost its way for a short time. Even so, Easts worked hard on attacking but last passes and some silly jersey pulling left them short each time. With 20 to go Easts scored and then scored again within minutes to move to 12. There was a decent stoush around the Wicks 20 mtr line which had the referee dishing out a red to Wicks 6 ( he led well all day) and two yellows to Easts though from my view the easts winger should certainly have had a red as well.
Easts did well in coming back from the halftime score but could just not get over the Wicks maniacal defence.
Every Wicks player earned their place in the win 28-12.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Great team effort by the 1s. Hope they know the the opposition was OK without being of the class of the leading teams. The 2s were good, some real pressure will be on the boys in the 1s. Thirds were also OK. Some stalwarts missing from the lower grades - need them back to keep the depth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Great team effort by the 1s. Hope they know the the opposition was OK without being of the class of the leading teams. The 2s were good, some real pressure will be on the boys in the 1s. Thirds were also OK. Some stalwarts missing from the lower grades - need them back to keep the depth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought Jack Hayson's performance in 2nds was the best of the day across all the grades for Wicks. He was relentless at the breakdown and constantly worried the Pirates defence with the ball in hand. Good to see 1sts and 2nds playing running rugby!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Front row was Cam Betham & Sonny Satuala, the centres were Ben Starkey & newcomer Jake Rakic from Canberra I think

Thanks MACCA, didn't think it looked like Betham, but haven't seen much of him and not seen Rakic at all before.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Lovely day at Southern Districts except for the woeful display by the Wicks Firsts. They started well with a good running try in the opening minute or two but then Outplayed in the backs by a souths team willing to run from anywhere.
Wicks answer was to try grubbers, chips , pops and a host of other varieties of kicking. Have to admit it did look a bit like NSW the day before but very unrandwick.

Twos and threes, both good teams and played well against opposition that never stopped having a go.
Fourths much better this week , they have a good scrum and will develop in the backs.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Lovely day at Southern Districts except for the woeful display by the Wicks Firsts. They started well with a good running try in the opening minute or two but then Outplayed in the backs by a souths team willing to run from anywhere.
Wicks answer was to try grubbers, chips , pops and a host of other varieties of kicking. Have to admit it did look a bit like NSW the day before but very unrandwick.

Twos and threes, both good teams and played well against opposition that never stopped having a go.
Fourths much better this week , they have a good scrum and will develop in the backs.
Any feedback or match reports from yesterday's game bloggers? Couldn't make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
G'day Macca and others

You missed a great day , good crowd and very good rugby.

4ths well beaten at 31-10. Uni went round the outside all day. Wicks needed the hit out and as long as their ball handling improves will win more than they lose.
3rds lost 12-19 in a tight game until the wicks flyhalf broke his arm. They lost a little direction after that but a good game to watch. Again Uni went wide around the wicks defense.
2nds was tight for a few minutes but Uni ran away with it in the middle of the second half. Wicks lost structure and Uni made the most of their opportunities. Return match should be good.Look out for the UNI 2 in a year or two- definite higher honours.
Firsts was the most entertaining game with scores switching all the way to the end. The Wicks showed good character in getting back to win but the pressure each team put on the other led to a bit of spilt ball. Uni nearly jagged it after the bell but again a spilt ball was their downfall. Thankfully kicking was kept to a minimum but of a much higher standard than the previous week.
Very evenly matched teams.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
My only addition to the above is a word of praise to the ref, Amy Perrett.
Hadn't seen her ref 1st grade before yesterday and I thought it was a very calm and competent performance. Always good when the ref is not the centre of attention as was the case yesterday.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
What happened today 24-10 with 10 to go and it ended in a draw ?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
What happened today 24-10 with 10 to go and it ended in a draw ?

A brilliant individual try by man-of-the-match Matt Gonzalez turned the match IMO. That moved the Woodies to 17-24 and lifted them and put the wind up the Wicks. However, had the game gone longer either side could have won.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wicks playing pretty good rugby at this point in the season but injury stocks seem high. Anymore and we may see Finigan back as well.
Still think they need some more options in their backline moves to be a serious threat but so far so good

Status
Not open for further replies.