• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Not quite reaching the heights of previous years but not on the decline. Player numbers are up this year but we've been hit hard with injuries and lots of guys overseas at key stages in the year.

I would have said the same thing, Tommy. The competition in Div 3 has been straight up fierce, it was really tight in the race for fourth spot for a while, then both Epping and ROBs upset on the weekend.

We too have struggled with injuries and boys overseas at the wrong time of the year.

Best of luck to your lads in the finals. My boys reckon your third grade is red hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Been staying at Newport this weekend, and wandered down to Porter to watch them play Blue Mountains.

The game was willing and played in good spirit, with Mountains taking the points pulling away late in the second half.

The supporter numbers for Newport always amaze me. Hundreds of locals there, kids, mums, dads, mates, ex-players, the works. It's bloody great to see! One of the great Subbies clubs, and I hope their on-field decline is temporary.

I know plenty of clubs that would kill for that atmosphere and support on a home Saturday.

Helps when they have the best clubhouse in Subbies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How would they know, they never show up to anyone elses aftermatch to see if their clubhouses are any better.

That's a growing issue I think, when so many clubs are sponsored by pubs or clubs, and have get back there to support the sponsor post match. Throw in the driving you need to do for some games and it's rarely practical.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
That's a growing issue I think, when so many clubs are sponsored by pubs or clubs, and have get back there to support the sponsor post match. Throw in the driving you need to do for some games and it's rarely practical.
Agree somewhat, but many clubs aren't, and have their aftermatch at their own clubhouse. Little hard to take to be expected to hang around and line the coffers of these clubs when they wont do a 5 min drive around the corner in return. We cant all have those facilities. Unfortunately its a consistent problem going up the divisions

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)

From my experience the Sponsorship from Pubs and Clubs was a false economy...

Pubs and Clubs thought it was a factor of x on their sponsorship, clubs thought as money for nothing so didn't really have to do anything, when in reality clubs had to make an effort to get the players there (anything more than a few metres from the ground and you'd lose players in my experience - the "ahhh fluck it, I'm going home"), so was counter productive.

The outcome was Pubs and Clubs were dissatisfied (a lot of the time I think they were just trying to get out of paying mind you), and you lost a good vibe / culture within a club.

Yeah, not everyone can and does have a clubroom, but you're much better off having something basic at the grounds immediately after, and using that to collar people into going to something else later is a better outcome.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
From my experience the Sponsorship from Pubs and Clubs was a false economy.

Pubs and Clubs thought it was a factor of x on their sponsorship, clubs thought as money for nothing so didn't really have to do anything, when in reality clubs had to make an effort to get the players there (anything more than a few metres from the ground and you'd lose players in my experience - the "ahhh fluck it, I'm going home"), so was counter productive.

The outcome was Pubs and Clubs were dissatisfied (a lot of the time I think they were just trying to get out of paying mind you), and you lost a good vibe / culture within a club.

Yeah, not everyone can and does have a clubroom, but you're much better off having something basic at the grounds immediately after, and using that to collar people into going to something else later is a better outcome.
Yeah tried that one last weekend with another club, based not far from newport actually. Said we'd accommodate by having it at the ground, buggered off anyway, claimed they had a function on (no evidence on their social/web pages). Funny, as the same club were quite happy to whinge in their newsletter a few weeks back after newport didnt hang around....

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yeah tried that one last weekend with another club, based not far from newport actually. Said we'd accommodate by having it at the ground, buggered off anyway, claimed they had a function on (no evidence on their social/web pages). Funny, as the same club were quite happy to whinge in their newsletter a few weeks back after newport didnt hang around..
It takes time!

You really can't control the other club, but you can control the vibe of your own club... once you start having a cracking vibe yourself (and making sure you stick around other clubs), it will come. Easier said then done though.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Generally unless the visiting club has made you a 'bus trip' destination you don't get many opposition players back. Mountains and Newport always treat each away game between them as a themed bus trip that always seems to be embraced by players.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I would have said the same thing, Tommy. The competition in Div 3 has been straight up fierce, it was really tight in the race for fourth spot for a while, then both Epping and ROBs upset on the weekend.

We too have struggled with injuries and boys overseas at the wrong time of the year.

Best of luck to your lads in the finals. My boys reckon your third grade is red hot.

Thanks mate. Look forward to renewing the local rivalry next year.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah tried that one last weekend with another club, based not far from newport actually. Said we'd accommodate by having it at the ground, buggered off anyway, claimed they had a function on (no evidence on their social/web pages). Funny, as the same club were quite happy to whinge in their newsletter a few weeks back after newport didnt hang around..

What's to be gained by not saying that it's Forest?

It's dead obvious who you're talking about.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What was the outcome from Subbies on Rouse Hill?

Stood down rest of the year.

Players responsible refused to front judiciary two weeks in a row despite multiple attempts to get them there. Essentially they didn't want to own up, so like spoiled children they ran and sulked.

I'm fucking livid. We were in the finals for 2s, and had a decent shot in 1s.

Now that's all fucked because of a handful of blokes I wouldn't cross the street to piss on if they were blazing.

I won't name them here because they're low dogs who cut off a rebuilding club at the knees.

They've got life bans from our club and anyone with sense would refuse to register them. Same as the coach we booted.

Lessons we learned too late. And we had no warning anyway until it exploded so fuck. . . . . . .

Anyway I'm getting a headache thinking about it

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It has basically sealed the finalists for Fourth Division as (in order):

First Grade
Blacktown
Sydney Irish
Canterbury
Sydney Harlequins

Second Grade
Blacktown
Irish / Briars
Canterbury

Briars get 5 free points from the game they were supposed to play against us. Irish play Blacktown AT Blacktown so they need to win to hang onto Second, and hope Quins beat Briars at Rothwell tomorrow.

Third Grade
Canterbury (5 free points Saturday mean they can't be caught)
Blacktown
Irish
Briars

Briars get 5 free points for Sunday. Mac Uni get 5 for the bye but can't catch them at this point. I think.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Stood down rest of the year.

Players responsible refused to front judiciary two weeks in a row despite multiple attempts to get them there. Essentially they didn't want to own up, so like spoiled children they ran and sulked.

I'm fucking livid. We were in the finals for 2s, and had a decent shot in 1s.

Now that's all fucked because of a handful of blokes I wouldn't cross the street to piss on if they were blazing.

I won't name them here because they're low dogs who cut off a rebuilding club at the knees.

They've got life bans from our club and anyone with sense would refuse to register them. Same as the coach we booted.

Lessons we learned too late. And we had no warning anyway until it exploded so fuck. . .

Anyway I'm getting a headache thinking about it
Pfitzy, can you PM me the coach? Someone has Contacted me already about coaching next year.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Lined field coach suspended for 5 games for playing unregistered player. Someone on here was suggesting that it was happening. Does anyone know the player in question?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy,

Any sanctions against Blacktown? Doesn't it take 2 x to tango, especially as they received a few YC's as well?

No sanctions to Blacktown, except the three yellow cards on the day for their First Grade and some in the other grades.

I'm not going to say they were angels all day. There were a few swinging arms went into one of their yellow cards in Third Grade after their flyhalf lost his shit.

But, having been privy to the reports, and having been the AR nearest to the event, it was only going to come down one way. The (now former) Rouse Hill players were instigators and its never a good look when only one side is lying on the ground.

As I said, all our guys still at the club are gutted, having made some good progress this year. It was probably our best season for half a decade in terms of results.

We're stung, but still kicking. Family day down at our home ground to send the season off, and then back to the pub afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.