• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia in Sri Lanka 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sri Lanka 5/84 @ Lunch on Day 1. Hazlewood the pick of the bowlers so far with figures of 3/21, with Starc @ 1/31 and O'Keefe 1/23. de Silva for the Sri Lankans currently the top scorer at 24 n.o.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Sri Lanka 5/84 @ Lunch on Day 1. Hazlewood the pick of the bowlers so far with figures of 3/21, with Starc @ 1/31 and O'Keefe 1/23. de Silva for the Sri Lankans currently the top scorer at 24 n.o.
Great to have the cricket back, especially at this timezone.

SL rolled for 117 and Australia steady after Warner tried to do too much too early and Burns played all around a straight one from Herath.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Interesting to note Stephen O'Keefe bowled 10.2 overs while the senior spinner, Lyon, only sent down 3. Nice to see they both got among the wickets. O'Keefe's 2 here follow his 10 wicket haul in the earlier match against a Sri Lankan XI, good depth to have.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Taking the ball away from the right handers maybe. Certainly I think both SOKs wickets came against righties, while 2 of the GOATs came against lefties? Certainly the one that didn't turn was beautiful by Lyon.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
185 to get with 7 wickets in hand at the start of day 5. Game on. I can't help thinking Australia let a golden opportunity slip through their fingers after getting Sri Lanka out for only 117, a reply of 203 just isn't enough.

A crying shame about O'Keefe's injury, just as he cracked the Oz team and takes a few wickets.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Australia touring Sri Lanka? What an absolute doddle. Once the Aus forwards stampede over their stickly opponents, driving their ceyloned spines out of their anuses, they will simply stroll to the tryline unopposed. I see this comically poor opposition as **POOR PREPARATION** for the upcoming Bledisloe oh shit I've got the wrong threa

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Australia touring Sri Lanka? What an absolute doddle. Once the Aus forwards stampede over their stickly opponents, driving their ceyloned spines out of their anuses, they will simply stroll to the tryline unopposed. I see this comically poor opposition as **POOR PREPARATION** for the upcoming Bledisloe oh shit I've got the wrong threa

Sri Lanka's national rugby team is 40th in the world, while we (Australia) are 4th

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Marsh out and we're going to get done I reckon. We shouldn't be anywhere close to losing after rolling them for 117 on day one. We cannot bat away from home, it's a joke.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
d829201aac7cd941a34b5c8d90e974814b5eb6b85639c450824c92e47bd99223.jpg

Aus all out for 161
Sri Lanka win by 107 runs

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Just when you think lessons have been learnt they put this shit up. So many batsmen threw their wickets away. Why was Warner rushed back? Marsh did ok in the tour games and hit his first test ton there so he might have been a better bet.

Two issues - rubbish against spin (still) and not respecting the opposition

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
At the risk of repeating myself; if we prepare our home test pitches as flat batting tracks, on which most technical flaws can be masked, we are never going to learn to bat in spinning, seaming or swinging conditions.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Obviously disappointing, but would be a shame not to give due recognition to a couple of the Sri Lankans. Herath was terrific and Mendis played one his country's best innings, perhaps the greatest by a Sri Lankan not named Sangakara.

176, with only one other innings above 50 in the match!

One of the best things about following the Aussie cricket team is how often they inspire the opposition to truly great things

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just when you think lessons have been learnt they put this shit up. So many batsmen threw their wickets away. Why was Warner rushed back? Marsh did ok in the tour games and hit his first test ton there so he might have been a better bet.

Two issues - rubbish against spin (still) and not respecting the opposition

I agree. Game was lost in the first Aus innings when Smith and others lost their wickets unnecessarily trying to hit certain bowlers out of the attack. Put their heads down and score something like 300 - 350 and they are likely to win the game.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I agree. Game was lost in the first Aus innings when Smith and others lost their wickets unnecessarily trying to hit certain bowlers out of the attack. Put their heads down and score something like 300 - 350 and they are likely to win the game.

Exactly. Why do we always seem to have to try and whack opposing bowlers for 6? All we are doing is throwing our wickets away. Play like we did in the 5th test against the poms last year - slow it down, wait for the bad balls and punish them on that

Status
Not open for further replies.