• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
All I've heard is that Bill Meakes is in it and the Brumbies players get the week off!

Just read an article on the Reds eagerness to sign Quade for 2017 and it said that he's currently in Wallaby camp.

So yes they are training and good to see Quade is amongst it. I assume he is intending to finalise his future soon so that he will be eligible to play in the upcoming RC.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
This is true, and there really aren't any better alternatives in the team.....

Pocock.... maybe?
Fardy might be worth a shot, he is already talking with the ref all the time.
Slipper seems like an intelligent bloke, but propbaly doesn't play enough.
Hooper seems to have the same ugly treats as Moore in the way he engages with the refs.
If Douglas can nail a spot on the starting XV, maybe he has the composure?

The problem is that the captain should be playing for the vast majority of the game, but so few put in performances to sew up a jersey against England. Maybe throw it to Folau, he is the best player and won't be subbed. He couldn't possibly do a worse job than Moore.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The next Captain needs to at least be able to make it to the next RWC. Fardy might be a stretch in that department, I'm sure he'll make it but whether he will still be first choice by then is unlikely.

I like the idea of Douglas - provided he can nail down a starting spot - which he hasn't yet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just read an article on the Reds eagerness to sign Quade for 2017 and it said that he's currently in Wallaby camp.

So yes they are training and good to see Quade is amongst it.

From what I've read previously, they've got a couple of separate camps going right now in Sydney and Brisbane at least before they name a squad and bring everyone together.

That leads me to assume that they're probably getting flogged this week doing fitness.

Given the extra lead in time we've got, getting some extra fitness in makes sense.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't like back 3, front rows or scrum halves being captain. First ones are often too far removed from play, the others have dedicated substitutes and can limit the use of the bench.

Therefore, if Pocock isn't available, Moore isn't good enough with the refs, Hooper is out for the same reason, and it needs to be a regular starter.

Gits is the logical captain.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The next Captain needs to at least be able to make it to the next RWC. Fardy might be a stretch in that department, I'm sure he'll make it but whether he will still be first choice by then is unlikely.

I like the idea of Douglas - provided he can nail down a starting spot - which he hasn't yet.

James Slipper? He's a) only 27 and b) has played 77 tests. Michael Hooper would be another contender (as long as he's learnt from the last time he was captain)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Don't like back 3, front rows or scrum halves being captain. First ones are often too far removed from play, the others have dedicated substitutes and can limit the use of the bench.

Therefore, if Pocock isn't available, Moore isn't good enough with the refs, Hooper is out for the same reason, and it needs to be a regular starter.

Gits is the logical captain.

Gits GFits you say. I'm looking for a long term (3 years+) bloke
Gits will be about 100 by then.:)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Would just be until Pocock gets back.

Mostly silly hypothetical anyway. Moore isn't going anywhere, at least for the next 16 months or so.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
James Slipper? He's a) only 27 and b) has played 77 tests. Michael Hooper would be another contender (as long as he's learnt from the last time he was captain)

Neither of them are really better options............

Hooper has been a poor test captain............

I haven't seen anything from Slipper either to suggest he'd be a good skipper, and he isn't a guaranteed starter, and only plays 50 mins when he is.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's not really any evidence to suggest that Pocock is a good captain either. His manner with referees is probably better but he doesn't necessarily do a good job of captaining a side in terms of decision making.

Maybe the Wallabies need to work hard on identifying who is the best communicator with referees and having a co-captain system.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There's not really any evidence to suggest that Pocock is a good captain either. His manner with referees is probably better but he doesn't necessarily do a good job of captaining a side in terms of decision making.

Maybe the Wallabies need to work hard on identifying who is the best communicator with referees and having a co-captain system.

Fair enough comment on Hooper. Am sure both Hooper and Slipper are very well respected by players and coaches. Fardy would be a nightmare in his communication with referees. Both Hooper and Slipper are ""youngish". Slipper seems a more conservative type of decision maker.

I din't really like the idea of a co-captains and that is a huge break with tradition. I am probably more in favour of a single captain and 2 x Vice Captains, one in the forwards and one in the backs. I like the idea of Hooper as VC, as well as Folau. - Both these guys often play the whole game.

Pocock may be the guy after his lay-off.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I've seen the articles saying the 'silver lining' from the end of the Super Rugby season is that our dumped out teams / players get to have a bigger break from playing to prepare for the Bledisloe..how many times in the last 11 years has that article been regurgitated??

The silver lining to our Bledisloe chances has fuck all to do with our teams being the early exiters from the Super season and everything to do with the potential availability of (many of) Douglas, Pocock, McCalman, Genia, Cooper, To'omua, Giteau, Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell, Tomane and Speight (v the Poms series).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Slipper would be great, but I don't think his spot is guaranteed with Sio in the mix. Even if does start over Sio consistently, Sio will surely play 20-30mins in the second half and replace him - meaning at best Slipper will Captain for the first 60mins.

I'd like our Captain to at least be an 80min player most the time. Which is why I think a lock or a backrower is the best option.

Hooper is another contender. But the way he addresses ref's is similar to Moore. Although I think he is getting better..slowly. And again, his spot ain't guaranteed with Poey there - who surely is preferred over him, if it came down to one or the other.

I think Poey should be Captain once he returns. Keep Moore until then. Unless a lock like Douglas steps up and cements his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.