• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My understanding is that from 2017 they will reintroduce the National Championships in U16. With teams from all over Australia. The hope is that they will be State teams not Union aligned (Schools Junior Country) so NSW Rugby would select a 1sts, 2nds and possibly 3rds from across all pathways. Likewise Qld etc.

Given the success of JGC especially in Victoria, ACT and WA, I hope they build the infrastructure and development pathway behind this to broaden the appeal of the game. Sth Australia, whilst outgunned were passionate and enthusiastic and just need time.

Whilst I can be an idealist and excited by the prospect of the return of the National Championships, without the resources or will from Public Schools or those schools with a focus on 5 kick (and other codes), I regrettably have grave reservations about this move to broaden the appeal of the game.

Part 2 of this strategy will be the key to success. I hope they have one and that the reintroduction of the National Championship and the axing of JGC is not the limit of the initiative.

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
The ARU missive spells it out as far as the reformation of the U16 National Carnival IN 2017. Suggest U17s will have National Opens as theIR pathway. But massively agree with AS, that ARU need a big push into CHS and CCC to re-establish pathways the kids can identify with at 16s and Opens and restore some prestige to school competitions that have fallen away.
Individual schools don't have the numbers but regional teams from both CHS and CCC both Sydney and Country at 16s and Opens would surely be a vibrant carnival of rugby and act as selection trials for CHS and CCC NSW teams.

Allen Oxlade (6)
U17's is gawwwnnnnnnnn

Now dump the U15's and we can get back to local rep programmes.... that cost much less

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
U17's is gawwwnnnnnnnn

Now dump the U15's and we can get back to local rep programmes.. that cost much less

I think you'll find there are not enough committed players who are available for a viable local reps comp that does not basically replicate the private school's rep program.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Central Coast JRU had a great rep programme before JGC came along and stuffed the 15s and 17's.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just announced that there will be No more JGC for u17s. There will only be a program for u15s to be run in Sept/Oct over 5 weeks. Shame that there is no rep pathway for 16 & 17 year olds not at a private school.
Seems to be the case doesn't it, Qld pathway try to claim they want to expand their search for talent, but not outside the private school system it seems. Recent selection for the U16 emerging Reds are mostly (99%) private school lads.
So with no more Gold Cup, there will be no more open to everyone trials, which will make many GPS parents happy.
Knowing that the Qld selectors do not attend club games, where the state school lads can only be seen, what chance do they have?
The pool of available talent just got smaller, good job ARU.

Ball in hand

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone have any information on the 2016/17 u15 JGC?

It's supposed to run for 5 weeks during Sept-Oct and I can't find anything about trials or the like....

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Mate, my understanding is that JGC u15 is done and dusted for this year and next one is Sept/Oct 2017.
I believe you are correct. Next year's u15's (this year's u14's) will be eligible for the Sept/Oct 2017 comp. This year's u15's have had their comp. and I would suspect move into next years u16's National Comp.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I have heard that the JGC was under 17 program was going to be axed and his thread seems to have confirmed it. Probably not a bad thing as the process is pretty corrupted with school allegiances and GPS bias rendering the Qld teams pretty poorly picked. Hopefully we can see some other development pathway model come through but surely a prerequisite is stop picking kids who just play league it is a waste of precious resources that Rugby in Australia does not have.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
I have heard that the JGC was under 17 program was going to be axed and his thread seems to have confirmed it. Probably not a bad thing as the process is pretty corrupted with school allegiances and GPS bias rendering the Qld teams pretty poorly picked. Hopefully we can see some other development pathway model come through but surely a prerequisite is stop picking kids who just play league it is a waste of precious resources that Rugby in Australia does not have.
That policy has to start at club level. Too many league kids selected in dream teams and then their clubs complain at finals time when they are not available leaving them short! Strategy fraught with danger and usually the boy prefers one code over the other, so let them play rugby but not at the expense of kids devoted to the union code.

Allen Oxlade (6)
NRL in front again.
Is it just me or does this look like the Space Race between the Yanks and the Ruskies?
Russia had a second class flight programme but were winning the race until the Yanks put a bloke on the moon.
It's a given that we have the better game but we're behind. I'm watching telly and on comes an add.... "Play junior rugby league" with a link to find your local club. Surely the ARU could find the money to make and run such an add for our game. Please Pulver....... do bloody something to help our great game! PLEASE!!!!!

Give us the moon shot!

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
19th July 2016

Attention: Game Development Managers, School Associations, Junior Associations, Referee Associations

As you would be aware the last three years has seen significant changes in our Elite player pathways. The
Junior Gold Cup was introduced at U15 and U17 level and replaced the National U16 Championships. At

the same time we introduced a National U20 Championships which this year evolved into the Super 20s

competition.

There are obviously many opportunities for young players to play representative rugby as well as being

involved in other school and junior sports. We’ve made a decision for 2017 to move as many of our

representative programs to a small window in September/October to limit the demands on players but

also to provide a clear pathway for those wishing to pursue opportunities as potentially elite rugby

players.

The changes will no doubt bring about consultation within each State and key stakeholders about the

best internal structures. As you can imagine a challenge for the ARU is the number of variables around

dates, school holidays etc. Some of these are the large number of school and junior associations

nationally and a calendar that contains many different elements.

In simple terms the changes in National programs from 2017 will be:

No U17 Junior Gold Cup

The U15 Junior Gold Cup will be a 10 team competition held over 5 weeks in September/October

There will be an Australian U16 rugby championships held in the September/October holidays.

The final format of these championships is yet to be determined. We would see this as a key

entry point into elite player programs within each State.

With regards to the National Schools’ Championships, we are constantly working with the NSS group and

ASRU to review the best timing and format for them. This is an ongoing process.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Adrian Thompson | National Performance Programs Manager | Australian Rugby Union Ltd

I think we as a rugby fraternity can be way to critical of our governing body but 3 years ago they shut down what was a vibrant and well regarded U16 National Carnival at the protest of particularly NSW participants, (other states tend to toe the ARU line) and now a massive back flip.
It is a long way off, but does anyone know where the 10 teams will come from for this 5 week JGC comp?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
NSW will have 2 metro teams and 1 country team. A bit different to the original JGC that had 4 metro and at least 5 country teams.

So it would be fair to assume Qld will be supplying three as well. So that would make 6 of the 10. Add Vic, ACT and WA for nine. Does this means SA will still be competing. That's good.

With the reduction in teams it would be great if they could find the money to have this played during the same window as the NRC (same length as well) often playing the lead in game to NRC where possible.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was curious as to why I hadn't heard a peep about this, it was because it's been moved later in the year.

Shame, the U17 tournament was a great chance for youngsters to play good week-in, week-out rugby (can't do this U18 because it's a lot of stress in Year 12). It was excellent rugby, right when the players start getting their man muscle and game sense.

Sadly, the big states couldn't get access to their best U18 players because of the schools, so it only really suited WA, ACT, and Vic's development outcomes.

Maybe these 3 should play their own 6 week Home/Away U17 tournament against each other. They could even invite NSW Country or SA along for the ride.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Should be a good little comp with less teams. If QLD is anything to go by, having only 3 teams will make for about 69 players against the comp earlier this year that had that many teams just from Brisbane - plus a team from Ipswich/Brisbane West. Plus the QLD regional teams....

And because it was played January/February, there were a heap of boys that didn't play. I say well done ARU on better timing. Should be plenty of competition for spots.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Can't see QLD only having 3 teams unless the white flag is waved in certain areas

Rationally :

1. Brisbane South East - Logan / Gold Coast

2. Brisbane South West / Ipswich / Toowoomba

3. Brisbane North / Central / Sunshine Coast

Makes sense

The reality now in U15 is that the best kids from regional areas outside of the greater Brisbane area are already in school here , or , those that haven't come , haven't come as 90% + have rejected the Brisbane Schooling /Rugby pathway and are already tied on junior development watch lists with an NRL organisation

So why go to the trouble and cost to fly a limp flag ?

Great in theory . Poor in practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.