• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Hey guys, for those of you who want to check out the situation with the NSW teams, we've just uploaded an article about the Waratahs and the NRC.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/waratahs-can-help-nrc/

Let us know your thoughts on this, as the season gets closer

Fantastic discussion!
As we all wait for the NRC squads to be announced, I bet there will be a squad or 2 that throw the idea of promoting young Australian talent out the window. It seems most of the squads are definitely pushing local talent from feeder clubs and credit to them. Standby for a team or 2 to comprise ring ins and imports.

Wandering Brumby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fantastic discussion!
As we all wait for the NRC squads to be announced, I bet there will be a squad or 2 that throw the idea of promoting young Australian talent out the window. It seems most of the squads are definitely pushing local talent from feeder clubs and credit to them. Standby for a team or 2 to comprise ring ins and imports.

Interesting points you make there MACCA. I hope there is a push more towards local talent. There seems to be a change going on in NSW, based on what might be happening at the NSWRU.

The guys at Rugby News got the chance to interview Andrew Hore, and there seems to be some positives coming up in terms of restructuring with the NSWRU.

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/waratahs-ceo-andrew-hore-explains-importance-of-restructure/

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Asics no longer supplying the team kits, and one less Sydney team.........

CqlroJmUMAAZmif.jpg

It's a lil' less yellow up in there.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If the Table was based on jersey design.

1. Brisbane City- Clean and Classy
2. Queensland Country- Same Reason- but City's colour scheme is better
3. Rising- there's a reason both the British and the Americans picks red white and blue,
4. Spirit- would be number 1 if not for the stupid blue strip below the neck
5. Rams- Clean. Better Orange than the Eagles, blue trimming adds a touch of class
6. Rays- Quins style Jersey is a classic, but the ratios are all wrong
7. Vikings- WTF is that fading shit
8. Eagles- Ugly shade of Orange, with nothing to break it up

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Why didn't the Rising stick with their pink and grey plumage? Looked great and clashed with no one.

T

TOCC

New Rebels owners want to align the Rising along its the other Rebel programs and use the same colours.

But I agree, the old Rising jersey was fantastic, really provided a point of difference... These jersey are all fairly generic

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
New Rebels owners want to align the Rising along its the other Rebel programs and use the same colours.

But I agree, the old Rising jersey was fantastic, really provided a point of difference. These jersey are all fairly generic

You can't fault the logic even if you like the old jersey.

Would like to see the colours aligned but different - maybe inversed?

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Jerseys:
  1. Queensland Country- I think classier than Bris. City. Nice detailing at the bottom doesn't show up in the above picture.
  2. Rising - Once you get past the fact that it doesn't look like a rugby jersey, it is a very good looking (very saleable) design.
  3. Spirit - Agree great design spoiled by the blue
  4. Rays - Agree proportions a bit off, prefer last year's
  5. Bris. City - Blah.
  6. Rams - Give him a whistle and call him a ref. (especially with the white socks).
  7. Vikings - only redeeming feature is that it will make the prop's look slimmer.
  8. Eagles - Just no. Looks like like a high viz training shirt.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
After Round 1 of the NRC I think we should adopt the law variations concerning the breakdown asap. Rucks in the Mitre 10 are relatively clean affairs with no one on the ground taking part, and the players over the ball staying on their feet. The rucks in the NRC have by contrast been very messy affairs with players off their feet and just generally doing whatever they can to disrupt the ball rather than winning it by fair means.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
After Round 1 of the NRC I think we should adopt the law variations concerning the breakdown asap. Rucks in the Mitre 10 are relatively clean affairs with no one on the ground taking part, and the players over the ball staying on their feet. The rucks in the NRC have by contrast been very messy affairs with players off their feet and just generally doing whatever they can to disrupt the ball rather than winning it by fair means.

They're also hated by almost everyone in NZ that I know...
There is absolutely no contest, and the tackled might as well get up and roll the ball beneath his legs.
Plus there is so much hacking of feet at the ball it's not funny...

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
At what point do we realise that the NRC is not going to work and just be another financial drag we can't afford. Season 3 and there are still no crowds to talk of. How do they expect fans to become engaged when players change teams so often based on where they are contracted at super rugby level? Need a competition based around club rugby where there are already established passionate supporter bases. You could have an ARU Cup that starts at the end of club rugby season. To keep costs down have pool games against teams from local comps and then knockout games between winners of each pool until we get a national club champion, would be so exciting to see my own whites take on a Sydney or Brisbane team in knockout matches, there would be a lot more interest in that then the current NRC setup!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
At what point do we realise that the NRC is not going to work and just be another financial drag we can't afford. Season 3 and there are still no crowds to talk of. How do they expect fans to become engaged when players change teams so often based on where they are contracted at super rugby level? Need a competition based around club rugby where there are already established passionate supporter bases. You could have an ARU Cup that starts at the end of club rugby season. To keep costs down have pool games against teams from local comps and then knockout games between winners of each pool until we get a national club champion, would be so exciting to see my own whites take on a Sydney or Brisbane team in knockout matches, there would be a lot more interest in that then the current NRC setup!

The crowds at both the Spirit/Rising and Rays/Rams were good. The Spirit especially considering they kicked off at 11:00am in the morning. The Eagles/City game was disappointing as was the QldC/Vikings. What is interesting for the Eagles is last year they drew a really good turnout at Woollahra Oval and this year with the Stars coming on board the crowd reflected that of the Stars.

As for how long we will see it. Simple. It's secure through to 2020. Get used to it. The biggest issue is its complete lack of promotion.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

A club championship is far too narrow. The strength of the NRC is the presence of all the best available talent condensed into the 8 sides.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
A club championship is far too narrow. The strength of the NRC is the presence of all the best available talent condensed into the 8 sides.
It is not reflected in the intensity of the matches, there is no passion even for the players which means the quality isn't as high as it is meant to be! Rob Simmons didn't look like he wanted to be there today, if he was playing for his club I doubt that would be the case.