• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This is true - the key is to be BALANCED. Don't niggle them at every phase, but if they start to do illegal stuff at the breakdown, have Hooper/Fardy/Douglas come in and smash them out of the way so that the scrum half can get the ball
The ABs weren't doing much illegal at the breakdown, they were handing our pack their collective asses. They just hit them all hard, drove through and disrupted. It's just a level of application, commitment and focussed aggression none of our pack seemed to be able to rise to. But yeah, some aggressive cleaning out might have helped. I'm thinking the game plan was to get fast ball and negate it, but we didn't, and nobody seemed able to change tack to do something about it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I was going to write a blog post on this, but can't summon the energy.

You know the bloke we need? Tom Carter. Not just because we have no 12s left, but because what this team desperately needs is some fucking ticker. Someone to chase kicks like a rabid dog, tackle all fucking day and just do the hard yards.

So that's my answer - TC for the Wallabies. Make him captain as well while you're at it.

You should do a blog post but wear your angry pants not your 'must be positive and diplomatic' pants.

Your blog essay after the Wallabies loss to Ireland RWC 2011 was (IMO) one of your best and one of the best ever here.

Then you got all positive and nice again.

Channel nasa.

reddog64

Bob McCowan (2)
Here is the problem with Australian Rugby....

YOU!

You the Australian Rugby Fan. You are the problem.Not the ARU, Not Pulver, Not the States, Not the players. You.

Why? Because you consistently put up with the completely rotten culture of Australian Rugby, from top to bottom. You keep supporting it. You keep buying tickets, turning up, accepting it.
As an Australian I deplore it. I have zero pride when the Wallabies run out and play a test. Why? Because I know they are the face of a completely and utterly rotten culture and system. Don't like what I'm saying? Let's play a game.

Monday Aug 22nd, 2016 9am I'm the new CEO of the ARU and here's what I do.

1. I donate 100% of my ARU income to struggling grass roots Rugby clubs around Australian states (all of them)
2. I sack, on the spot, 70% of any underperforming ARU office and coaching staff. They walk. There is one person to run the ARU office plus the key manual workers required. There is one coach (MC for the moment) and a few training/support staff (runners). The rest go including M. Byrne.The FAT is removed in 1 hour. I cop on the chin any future fines/penalties.
3. I cancel any commercial sponsorship contracts with Qantas, BMW and others with the Wallabies brand and remove all naming/advertising rights from Monday onwards. I cop any fines/penalties on the chin.
4. I cancel all current Wallaby ARU contracts from Monday 10am onwards.
5. I announce any Australian Rugby player who is lucky enough to be selected to represent Australia, via the Wallabies, gets paid $30K a win and $1 a loss. There are no contracts with them. They play, they win, they get paid $30K. They lose they get $1
6. I instruct Cheika to sack 3/4's of the team that played last Saturday against NZ and to replace them with Australian Rugby players, under 24 years of age, who have never played for Australia at Wallaby level. I instruct him to select from all states and must have a minimum of 3 bolters from the bush. I instruct him not to select anyone from the past. I instruct him to make 100% sure of one thing for the coming test in NZ...make sure every single player selected to represent Australia..leaves it all on the park next Saturday and not to die wondering. If they do that, and it's obvious then MC gets another week as do the players.
7. I see out the RC series with this team of players and I stick with them.
8. Post RC I announce an Australian Rugby Future meeting and invite Mark Ella, Bob Dwyer, Rod McQueen, Wayne Bennett and Mal Meninga and Wally Lewis (yes you read that correctly). At the meeting we decide on the future of Australian Rugby and it's this:

- We cancel all Australian wide private school Rugby competitions (GPS, CAS, IAS etc...) and have 1 Australian wide schools competition, open to all schools, with state based play offs that lead into a national schools carnival week for the top 8 sides to play off till a winner is found. We arrange this schools carnival week to be televised on FTA each year, including the state finals proceeding them. We cancel all state school teams including the Australian Schoolboys.

- We cancel all state based Rugby organisations like NSW/QLD/ACT etc...and have one...the ARU which is fully authoritative across all states.

- From 2017 onwards we drop out of the Super Rugby competition. We cancel the Shute shield and whatever the club competition is in Qld, ACT, VIC and WA.

- We meet with the heads of the NRL/ARL ask work out a long term plan to partner with key domestic Rugby clubs with their clubs to share skills, systems, resources, facilities, coaches and most importantly up and coming players. Similar to the model that exists with some clubs in the UK. The main purpose of this is to learn from them and secure access to many young players who end up playing league. The agreement must be a win-win and I would do anything, and I mean anything, to make it happen. Tradition, history etc...out the window. New dawn, new way, new partnerships, new life.

- We copy whatever has been put in place with the Qld Origin side and apply it to the Wallabies.

- Inside 3 years we will have 10 very good players vying for each Wallaby position and the benefit of a partnership with the NRL and all the skills, resources, systems and coaching they could bring.

Now, at this point I know most of you reading this are having your 2nd or 3rd heart attack. Here's the thing....nothing changes unless YOU change it. Have the guts to make the change and see what happens. Can it be any worse than what you currently have?

PS: I'm a Queensland League man but a proud Australian and it hurts me to see the drivel served up by the Wallabies and the ARU organisation. It's un-Australian and no longer acceptable. On top of that I'm sick of reading your moaning and crap ever week about the state of Rugby in Australia.

I've given you the plan and as luck has it...I'm looking for a new job.
I'm available to start tomorrow at 9am.

Time for big moves, dangerous moves, exciting moves, scary moves.

The problem is YOU Mr/Mrs Australian Rugby fan. You accept this tripe served up and then complain about it and do nothing. Now is your chance to take ownership and do something about it. Get off your couch and do something about it.
At 9am tomorrow morning stick your head out the nearest window and say really really loudly
"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore"

First you got to get MAD!!!!

Reddog (Crazy and ready to unleash it)

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
The most poignant message for me from last nights debacle is how far off the pace our forwards are in competing at set piece, defensive dominance, ball carrying and fear factor.

With the set piece (SCRUM) as the No1 focus I'd suggest it is well known that Polata Nau is our best option. His defence and ball carrying are also of more concern to NZ. Moore was isolated and exploited a number of times defensively last night. Holmes is, IMO, the best tight head but appears to be out of favour now. Behind him there is nobody of immediate claim so we must look to the new breed. Robertson and Allaalatoa appear to be next choice although Allaalatoa having played loose head mostly looks the goods. Sio and Slipper are good on their day but have been shown up technically against more experienced opposition and just don't appear to create any element of certainty of physical battery to opposition breakdowns. Smith from the Rebels has an element of this and appears competent at scrummaging. His ball carrying also carries the odd off load to a support runner.

While height is a bonus in the second row it's not the be all. A couple of 120kg x 6'5" (?cm) men with good engines and an angry disposition are want I'd be seeking. Lineouts are won from what happens on the ground and not just who is tallest. Kane Douglas is the stand out in this area for me and I'd be partnering him with Scott Fardy, whose work rate from No 6 is needed from someone wearing No 4. Rory Arnold is a player that could improve rapidly and provide the nearest thing we have to a Retallick.

Pocock has always been rated in the top 2 No 7's in the world (even outrating McCaw at one point) before an injury allowed Hooper an opportunity and the only thing to have changed, IMO, is that Hooper plays more as a wide running No 6 now and is a rare threat to the breakdown. Australia hasn't had a destructive ball carrying, hitman at No 8 for years and opposition teams know and exploit this. Timani is the only player with the physical attributes and attitude that I can see in this role and would be the first player I'd pick. Yes he needs to increase his aerobic capacity but at least the All Blacks would have to think about where he might pop up in defence. No 6 is a vital role to fill with size, skill, aggression and speed the pre-requisites. McMahon and Luke Jones are my front runners and offer lineout options too.

So how would this pack fare next week in Wellington;
1. Toby Smith
2. Taaf Polota-Nau
3. Greg Holmes
4. Scott Fardy
5. Kane Douglas
6. Sean McMahon/Luke Jones
7. David Pocock
8. Lopeti? Timani

16. Stephen Moore (time is almost up and Ready from QLD may be next)
17. Scott Sio/James Slipper
18.Allan Allaalatoa
19. Rory Arnold
20. Sean McMahon/Luke Jones
21. Michael Hooper

This combination also provides multiple options for covering any injury crisis with Jones able to cover 2nd row if needed and McMahon able to cover No 7 if going with 3 backs on the bench. All selections are obviously based on current availability around any injuries.

We aren't going to fare any better next week if we turn up with the same whipped pack from yesterday. Time to take a chance and show us what you really have as a coach with some vision Cheika. By the way, don't be so predictable in playing the ball runners behind the gain line and one out and you might actually get some front foot ball to work with.

Duke

Frank Row (1)
A bit of new and old perhaps? Nothing to lose at this point really. My two cents worth:

Slipper 1
TPN 2
Kepu 3
Douglas 4
Simmons 5
Fardy 6
Hooper 7
Pocock 8
Phipps 9
Cooper 10
Mitchell 11
Kerevi 12
Folau 13
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14
DHP 15

No wholesale changes, Australia doesn't have the dept to afford such moves anyways. But wholesale change of the game plan is needed

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Coleman
5 Douglas
6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 McCalman
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Rona
12 Hodge
13 Folau
14 Koribete
15 DHP

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I hate to be fickle, but I've sat through many a dreadful show from the Wallabies. The last minute losses, player dramas and all. But at ANZ watching the All Blacks play a hapless, motley crew of molluscs I had to say that I'm done. It wasn't anger, I was oddly calm in the face of the worst performance I have ever seen from the Green & Gold and the ominous 15th consecutive loss of the Bledisloe cup. And that's why I'm done, just copping that after endlessly following team selections, news articles and and trawling through the NRC dross was just salt over a open and festering wound.

However I will share my last critiques:

Moore has proven himself to be a complete mongo around the field and as a captain and the notion of his 'lead from the front' attitude was stripped bare yesterday. TPN and Ready should be the only considerations.

Pocock has been a terrific servant of Australian Rugby, but since the law changes post RWC his breakdown nous has halved. The set piece pitfalls of his inclusion far outweigh his benefits.

McCalman plenty of work of the ball and in Super Rugby at least makes a lot of runs. he also has 0 impact in test rugby, a starting berth is a massive mistake.
Adam Coleman has done all he can to merit selection and still Dean fucking Mumm, a 32 year old numbat who's career highlights video wouldn't exceed 22 seconds.

Matt Giteau was absolutely dominated in contact even before the injury, he's not up to facing the All blacks and he'll only go downhill from here. Better to finish your career with a croissant in hand. Kerevi-TK or Kerevi Folau seems to be the only options in To'omua, Horne and Giteau are all injured

That result was the most disastrous outcome for Australian rugby since Wilkinson broke our hearts in 2003.

Sincerely, a very patient person

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Umm Pocock is still your first picked player.. then Folau.

Don't really care about the rest now... Pick whoever you want because they are either out-of-form, Past their prime, Not lived up to potential, complete rookies, or just plain shit-house.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Shit I find it amusing that most are advocating Poey at 7 and Hooper on the bench. This has been my position for quite a while.

Put the best 7 in Australia in his natural spot.

I wouldn't start Sio and Moore, Simmons, TK, Foley, Hooper.

Moore needs to lose the captaincy

Chek needs to fuck off some of his favourite players.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Shit I find it amusing that most are advocating Poey at 7 and Hooper on the bench. This has been my position for quite a while.

Put the best 7 in Australia in his natural spot.

I wouldn't start Sio and Moore, Simmons, TK, Foley, Hooper.

Moore needs to lose the captaincy

Chek needs to fuck off some of his favourite players.

Yes Scrubber you were right about Hooper we were wrong.

But he is still a quality player, I'd say 3rd best player we have after Poey & Folau, his impact from the bench will be awesome in the last 30mins.

We just can't give up the set-peice anymore.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes Scrubber you were right about Hooper we were wrong.

But he is still a quality player, I'd say 3rd best player we have after Poey & Folau, his impact from the bench will be awesome in the last 30mins.

We just can't give up the set-peice anymore.

I also want to see him tried at 8 - his running off the back of the scrum could be an asset.