• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Country - official NRC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks HTC. I was assuming their other commitments would have meant limited time to see the whole comp. i know it is not rock, paper, scissors but question how many voices and different opinions have input.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks HTC. I was assuming their other commitments would have meant limited time to see the whole comp. i know it is not rock, paper, scissors but question how many voices and different opinions have input.
Most of it would be QRU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Watching the game on Austar at the moment - is this really (half) the best players in the hospital cup, or are the Vikings that much better? They're getting destroyed out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That is a very, very strong Vikings pack. The back 5 of the forward pack are Super Rugby regulars. Arnold is a Wallaby. Staniforth isn't far off. Butler wouldn't look out of place either.

Most of the NRC sides will get destroyed by the Vikings. The forward strength is enough to mitigate a relatively inexperienced pair of halves and their 12.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That is a very, very strong Vikings pack. The back 5 of the forward pack are Super Rugby regulars. Arnold is a Wallaby. Staniforth isn't far off. Butler wouldn't look out of place either.

Most of the NRC sides will get destroyed by the Vikings. The forward strength is enough to mitigate a relatively inexperienced pair of halves and their 12.

If they'll win the comp, it'll be the work of that 4-8 group.

Quite similar to the Jeffries-Neville-Jones-McMahon-Timani axis that the Rising played in 2014, with the two local backrowers off the bench. Except only Arnold is likely to get a call up, and even then Sammy Carter can come straight in to replace him. Eek!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How Sam green wasn't next in line is beyond me! He is a massive loss for qld rugby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I mentioned QldC lacked dynamism I was referring to the 10 jersey first and foremost. They actually do have a number of dynamic backs. But they need to be given he the time and space to actually utilise their abilities. The best 10s are more than merely distributprs shoveling it off. They are creators. They offer a distinct threat in themselves. They know when to try their hand, when to straigthen up the play and where to put the ball to give their backline the best opportunity make something of it. It's what made Carter the best 10 in the world for so many years and what Barrett does at present.

They don't try too hard like QC (Quade Cooper) often does. Now, I'm not saying Greene is the next Dan Carter but of the 10s I've seen play for the Qld NRC teams thus far he is the only one that fits that mould.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
There is something about Aussie rugby that loves so called "low risk" number 10s, due to their ability to stay true to structure and catch n shovel despite going backwards. Yet in actual fact, not having a 10 who is a threat with ball in hand, or someone who plays whats in front of them is a massive risk.

Greene had 3 full seasons of QPR behind him, had all the arsenal of skills, but was not preferred as he was 'X Factor' and didn't suit the philosophy.

Mason has been cherrypicked from league and does not have the experience yet. A few games for QLD 20s & a few for Aussie 20s won't prepare you for senior rugby. Give him a chance to grow and hone the full set of skills a 10 needs.
I think he can develop there is just not enough time under the belt. He is going to have to learn real quick because the Reds will no doubt throw him into Super next year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it a single decision though?

It would seem to me that Greene has missed out moreso because McIntyre was preferred to him and now has much more experience (that in itself supports your low risk mentality).

With Cooper returning, the Reds presumably wanted one of Greene and Mason and presumably they weren't vying for exactly the same money.

Does Mason have an EPS contract for 2017? If Sam Greene was on one last year it could mean they had to sign him to a full contract if they wanted to keep him.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)

True but the Country reserve hooker did not look exactly fit. He came on early in the second half and I saw him miss 2 tackles that resulted in tries just because he couldn't move quick enough.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
There is something about Aussie rugby that loves so called "low risk" number 10s, due to their ability to stay true to structure and catch n shovel despite going backwards. Yet in actual fact, not having a 10 who is a threat with ball in hand, or someone who plays whats in front of them is a massive risk.

Greene had 3 full seasons of QPR behind him, had all the arsenal of skills, but was not preferred as he was 'X Factor' and didn't suit the philosophy.

Mason has been cherrypicked from league and does not have the experience yet. A few games for QLD 20s & a few for Aussie 20s won't prepare you for senior rugby. Give him a chance to grow and hone the full set of skills a 10 needs.
I think he can develop there is just not enough time under the belt. He is going to have to learn real quick because the Reds will no doubt throw him into Super next year.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hello All I'm new to this. Have been around QLD rugby for a long time. This year watched many games of premier rugby and all the super 20s rugby. The young kid playing for Sunnybank was back up to Mason for the QLD u20 side ( why ). Great in Defence . Attacks the line. Massive boot on him. And is 19 years old. Watched him play for City. Tough kid yet no development behind him.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Mason was hardly "cherry picked" from league, he got picked up by the storm under 20s having played union at high school.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hello All I'm new to this. Have been around QLD rugby for a long time. This year watched many games of premier rugby and all the super 20s rugby. The young kid playing for Sunnybank was back up to Mason for the QLD u20 side ( why ). Great in Defence . Attacks the line. Massive boot on him. And is 19 years old. Watched him play for City. Tough kid yet no development behind him.

Jake (Jack?) Strauchan or something? Was one of the few high points for Brisbane city. Monster boot.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Mason was hardly "cherry picked" from league, he got picked up by the storm under 20s having played union at high school.

Yeah mate I am quite aware of that. But his old school coach was the QLD Country coach and he leaves the Storm 20s (before the season ends) to join Country. Plays a couple of games off the bench having not played union all year, one in which they carry 2 (!) flyhalfs on the bench to fit him in. Since then, started one of the Reds trials, played Reds 20s, Aussie 20s and 1 or 2 club games and is now one of the NRC starting flyhalves.

If that isn't a sweet pathway deal then FM. It's premeditated. Reeks of cherry picking to me. If he's that good put him in QPR for a season and let's see him dominate. I saw him play in a loss vs Norths and had minimal impact. I think it would do a world of good to at least show you can dominate at club before you get NRC selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.