• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Players of rep standard are often capable of displacing club standard players from age older groups (as opposed to gaining experience due to injury to higher ranked players). There are already sixteen players from this years u20 with that experience at rep level.
The bulk of the named players (thanks Baz) were in norths second grade semi final team lists published here. Was it one or two of them made the semi 1sts team?
Given the trial yesterday may have been a little tokenistic, many of the players would not have played for nearly 6 weeks, throwing some tokens to norths may have been nice

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Players of rep standard are often capable of displacing club standard players from age older groups (as opposed to gaining experience due to injury to higher ranked players). There are already sixteen players from this years u20 with that experience at rep level.
The bulk of the named players (thanks Baz) were in norths second grade semi final team lists published here. Was it one or two of them made the semi 1sts team?
Given the trial yesterday may have been a little tokenistic, many of the players would not have played for nearly 6 weeks, throwing some tokens to norths may have been nice
Winchester, stump in colts 1 gf, psaltis ayed most of year in 1s, the others all subbed and played in 2s and 1s throughout the year.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Down to two names, competitive spots with some competing applicants already playing grade too.
True.. but too not even be invited to trial. And the 16 returning "guaranteed " players, how did they perform throughout the year? The previous gen blue team performed poorly in my opinion. I think the.process has been pretty poor, thats all im saying.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I called him jarse and he gave me those as a start. Had not heard from nswru, so me, a nobody can get them, surely a call from nswru could get them
All clubs are emailed with playing details and its up to the clubs to supply players they think are worth looking at and all the players contact details. Someone at Norths would have received this email.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
All clubs are emailed with playing details and its up to the clubs to supply players they think are worth looking at and all the players contact details. Someone at Norths would have received this email.
Ok. Sure they did. If that the excuse.

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
I don't really care what young man was put forward for gen blue or not, the issues is that the administrators of rugby continually want to make the pool they select from smaller. I understand you have limited selectors/coaches to look at all the players, so you reduce the number of players to look at by having players nominated, then you have a selection trial. Let that still happen, but have a process where there is another group of players picked to also play in the national under 20's comp. So you would have a NSW, QLD, ACT and VIC under 20's, then you would have 2 teams from NSW and QLD colts, the so called players who aren't good enough. Therefore a 6 team competition. I cannot imagine that between the Sydney colts competition teams there isn't 30 players who would give the chosen few a run for their money.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Ok. Sure they did. If that the excuse.
If a club wants to lure players with ambition, the ability to support players into higher honours needs to be demonstrable......probably ahead of any other inducements
It would be a significant failing of someone at norths if they have been negligent or annoyed selectors to the point of being ignored (the latter should not happen but we are all human and it is possible)
It may that the club needs someone to be aware of the process and help the players better exploit their opportunities.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
If a club wants to lure players with ambition, the ability to support players into higher honours needs to be demonstrable..probably ahead of any other inducements

It would be a significant failing of someone at norths if they have been negligent or annoyed selectors to the point of being ignored (the latter should not happen but we are all human and it is possible)

It may that the club needs someone to be aware of the process and help the players better exploit their opportunities.

if the wallabies passed the ball like you pass the buck, we would never lose.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't really care what young man was put forward for gen blue or not, the issues is that the administrators of rugby continually want to make the pool they select from smaller. I understand you have limited selectors/coaches to look at all the players, so you reduce the number of players to look at by having players nominated, then you have a selection trial. Let that still happen, but have a process where there is another group of players picked to also play in the national under 20's comp. So you would have a NSW, QLD, ACT and VIC under 20's, then you would have 2 teams from NSW and QLD colts, the so called players who aren't good enough. Therefore a 6 team competition. I cannot imagine that between the Sydney colts competition teams there isn't 30 players who would give the chosen few a run for their money.

Who would fund 2 extra teams?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if the Gen Blue Selectors are using the ASRU selection criteria, where the teams that came 6th and 7th in the 8 team National Schoolboys tournament get the lions share of the selections.

I think Adrian Thompson (AusU20 Coach and Selector) was also the Chairman of the ASRU Selection Panel.

On that basis, I expect to see lots of young men from West Harbour and Warringah nominated for Gen Blue, and not too many from the Norths, who only finished as Runner up not in the Glamour spots (5th, 6th, or 7th) that QLD and ACT nailed this year at schoolboy nationals.

Seriously though, any player that was Colts 2 for most of their U19 year (even at a top performing club) is going to struggle to stand out in the Curtain Raiser Cup up against players who have been playing Grade and NRC footy, as many of this years U20 squad had.

To the next level and many of their international opponents are already pro players in Europe, or playing ITM Cup level in NZ. The Scottish U20 prop had been capped for Scotland in a full Test IIRC! A Colts 2 player from 2016 would need some special development in a hurry to be ready to play at that level in early 2017.

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
Who would fund 2 extra teams?

I don't really care, it could be the district clubs, the ARU, NSWRU, how much are we really talking about 100,000, pass a hat around after the next Wallaby loss and the players can throw in 5k of their 10k match fee, job done.
All I care about is getting more players exposed to high level rugby. The bigger the pool of players, the more depth you have.
The problem we have is that basically the same players have been receiving extra coaching since day dot, they get coached to play how the powers to be want them to play, so the are better coached, have better fitness and their skills are more refined hence they continue to get picked. That doesn't make them better rugby players, it just makes them puppets to the system. More exposure to more players that is all I want.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
How could the same coaches do each squad when they would be playing in different cities at largely the same time?
It wouldn't surprise me if it costs at least $50K each time to move a rugby squad of 30-35 people (players, coaches, medical etc) interstate with flights, other transport, accommodation, meals etc

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
Ok so the cost is 50k per trip, that would bring me to another point, rugby needs to be smarter about where it spends it's money, there are far to many extra's who travel. Surely a large number of the medical, trainers, strappers, etc could be provided by the hosting union. This isn't about introducing players to what it's like to be a professional this is about showing them what they need to do to be a professional. Maybe Rugby needs a Frank Lowy to support these initiatives, one thing for sure there is hardly a huge number of super rugby quality players coming through our system. The system is broken so it needs fixing, we need to stop looking a reason not to do something but finding reasons and resources to do something.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One squad plays in Bris on Saturday
The other at home on Sunday
It's not that hard....

$50k ?
23 players 4 support staff @ $150 return airfare, chuck in a bus for $600 and they are done.
Less than $5k

Status
Not open for further replies.