• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
i know Cheika wants to persist with the Cooper Foley combination but i really dont see its purpose. i would like to see a team like:

1. Sio
2. Polota-Nau
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Morohan
12.To'omua/Hodge
13. Kuridrani
14. Mitchell
15. Folau

16. Moore 17. Slipper 18. Robertson 19. Mumm 20. Hooper 21. Phipps 22. Foley 23. DHP

i think Kepu has been Quite poor so far but with Holmes already gone we have no choice.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Presumably they will beef up the squad this week. You'd think To'omua will stay in it even if he's not playing in the next game but we need to replace Giteau and Horne. Presumably McCalman (injured) and Simmons were just left out of the NZ touring party but are still in the squad.

I know Naivalu is eligible in September, does anyone know when? I'd say he is a big chance to take Horne's spot. For Giteau's spot, if it were me I'd bring in a development player even though there's no intention of playing them during the RC, just to give them exposure. E.g. McIntyre or Horwitz.

Godwin, Speight, Morahan are probably more likely contenders though. If Rob Simmons has been truly dropped then Arnold has to be a chance to rejoin the squad.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Play this team against South Africa:

1. Slipper (c)
  2. Polota-Nau
  3. Kepu
  4. Douglas
  5. Coleman
  6. Fardy
  7. Pocock
  8. Timani
  9. Genia
  10. Cooper
  11. Mitchell
  12. Hodge
  13. Kuridrani
  14. Morahan
  15. Folau
  16. Hanson
  17. Sio
  18. Robertson/Ala'alatoa
  19. Mumm
  20. Hooper
  21. Frisby
  22. Foley
  23. Kerevi
EDIT: To'omua out, moved Hodge to 12, Folau to 15, Morahan to 14 & Foley to bench

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
i could definitely support that team, Hodge at the back has some good appeal with his big boot. i have been advocating for slipper to start all year but i think sio had a decent game on the weekend so i kept him in the starting side. wouldnt mind slipper starting at all though

Wilson

David Codey (61)
For Giteau's spot, if it were me I'd bring in a development player even though there's no intention of playing them during the RC, just to give them exposure. E.g. McIntyre or Horwitz.

I like the idea of development players coming into the squad, but not while the NRC is on. Much better they get game time now, use the mid year tests and the wallaby camps during super rugby for that. Not sure I'd be looking at McIntyre for it either, I'm expecting he'll fall a far way down the pecking order at the reds next year, and not just because quade is back.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
for some reason I thought Naivalu became eligible between the Springbok and Pumas tests. Can't find anything on google to back it up though

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I read somewhere today that To'omua is unlikely but it was in the same sentence that Giteau and Horne wouldn't be playing so it could have just been the journo making an incorrect assumption.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
A week off should be spent watching game film. That's what they do in the NFL. You could watch and discuss 20 tests during the working week then give them Saturday and Sunday off.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Referee​
official_79_photo.jpg
Nigel Owens (Wales)

Assistant 1​
official_80_photo.jpg
Wayne Barnes (England)

Assistant 2​
official_74_photo.jpg
Pascal Gauzere (France)

TMO​
official_101_photo.jpg
Ben Skeen (New Zealand)

Back you go Stephen

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Some good may come out of that. It could be the Al Baxter moment where Cheika calls it after he concedes that Moore's position as captain is no longer tenable with most international refs. Pocock would have to be the best man for the job short term especially considering Owens is in charge.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Just hope there are no issues with the ref's that distract from the Wallabies performance. Never seen Shiggins get so much support as the last thread. It's proven a good distraction and stopped a lot of the questions that need to be addressed. Wonder what the excuse will be if we lose this one?

A loss here will be a massive blow.

G

galumay

Realalistically I think the Wallabies will continue the losing streak in a fortnight. Just watching the Pumas v SA game, this week, and remembering the game last week, both of those sides looked like they would beat the Wobblies by plenty.

The aim should probably to look for some measurable improvement in skills and attitude, there are simply not the players available in Australia to improve things much by fiddling around with selections.

The emphasis should be on fixing our game up at the grass roots level - you cant build a tier 1 team from the top down. Expectations need to be shifted, focus on the ground up redevelpment of the game in this country, and maybe the Super Teams can become competitive and from there the Wallabies also.

Watching the NRC though, its a huge task.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Boks will be hurting from the loss. We're going to need to put something special together.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The emphasis should be on fixing our game up at the grass roots level

Bloke, this discussion is over more than enough threads now. Plenty of places to talk it through. Continuing it here is just boorish.

Doing anything at the grass roots may reap benefits as early as 2020. 2025 more likely. This thread is about the current Wallabies and their next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.