• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
So, here's the latest version of the "let's dump Melbourne and/or Western Force" plan.

I think we are better than a few years ago, provided Imperium stick around.

that's a massive proviso - Mr Cox and Imperium will stick around until the $6 million payout is paid then, unless they start winning, he will most likely rid himself of it anyway, so ARU know this, it will be a factor in their decision of which franchise to axe.
QLD have the supporter and player base, NSW has the ear of the ARU - neither team is going anywhere. Brumbies have proven success on the field. Neither Force nor Rebels are self sustaining atm and both will probably get the chop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is no single $6m payout.

The agreement with Imperium included increased annual payments to the Rebels on top of the amount paid to each Australian Super Rugby team from the TV broadcast rights. I believe this totalled $6m over 5 years or similar.

There is certainly no windfall gain to be had by the owners of the Rebels just by keeping the team until a certain date.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
There is no single $6m payout.

The agreement with Imperium included increased annual payments to the Rebels on top of the amount paid to each Australian Super Rugby team from the TV broadcast rights. I believe this totalled $6m over 5 years or similar.

There is certainly no windfall gain to be had by the owners of the Rebels just by keeping the team until a certain date.
The agreement which includes increased payouts on top of the amount paid to the Super rugby team over 5 years is what I referred to as the $6 million payout.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Great thought provoking case Jagman. Could they explore full private ownership of one of the Rebels or Force? Transfer the liability risk and expense. What % of private ownership is the Rebels?

I know that they have a directive to grow the game in those states that private ownership wouldn't care about, but can't help but think privatisation will clean out the deadwood and winning/profitability will become an absolute priority rather than trying to do everything and be excellent at nothing?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Private ownership in Super Rugby in Australia has been messy.

Plus, the idea that a private entity that only cares about making money would buy a Super Rugby team that's tanking as an asset is... questionable.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Private ownership in Super Rugby in Australia has been messy.

Plus, the idea that a private entity that only cares about making money would buy a Super Rugby team that's tanking as an asset is. questionable.

Yes... there's always the right price for everything though. It would take someone with deep pockets for sure and the power to influence TV rights negotiations in favour of the teams. The current arrangement with Fox Sports seriously damage the growth prospects of each franchise. Limited marketing prospects (poor pay TV household penetration rate), combined with absolute control over all game content gives teams a hard task vs NRL & AFL FTA exposure.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Private ownership at the Melbourne Rebels is about the money at the moment. Previously the success of the Rebels was linked with grass roots rugby development across Victoria, the schools and the clubs through the VRU. This has become a sore point lately as continued budget cuts at the VRU and lack of new revenue flows have cut almost every program. The new owner tries to link any success he has with support of grass roots rugby, but when push comes to shove, he has not supported the VRU in the same way as the previous administration did.
I am disappointed mostly that the ARU sold the Rebels franchise to a private owner who is not a true believer. By that, I mean some one who sees rugby for being more than dollars and more than a fun game. For me, Rugby is about a community of players and supporters who come together with a network of friends on a regular basis with no preconditions and hang out. It is an important network particularly for young men and now emerging womens teams, all across Victoria, not just the moneyed up yuppiesville of Brighton. This is why rugby is important, not for the winning, not for the money, but for the participation as either a player or supporter , and for the networking that supports people (read young, male, gay - whatever) in a way that no other activity does.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Private ownership at the Melbourne Rebels is about the money at the moment. Previously the success of the Rebels was linked with grass roots rugby development across Victoria, the schools and the clubs through the VRU. This has become a sore point lately as continued budget cuts at the VRU and lack of new revenue flows have cut almost every program. The new owner tries to link any success he has with support of grass roots rugby, but when push comes to shove, he has not supported the VRU in the same way as the previous administration did.
I am disappointed mostly that the ARU sold the Rebels franchise to a private owner who is not a true believer. By that, I mean some one who sees rugby for being more than dollars and more than a fun game. For me, Rugby is about a community of players and supporters who come together with a network of friends on a regular basis with no preconditions and hang out. It is an important network particularly for young men and now emerging womens teams, all across Victoria, not just the moneyed up yuppiesville of Brighton. This is why rugby is important, not for the winning, not for the money, but for the participation as either a player or supporter , and for the networking that supports people (read young, male, gay - whatever) in a way that no other activity does.
But isn't that just the problem with most professional sports now... they are a business first, sporting club distant second? I agree with your views on the unique values of Rugby. They seem to have become lost in the $$$.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's pretty stark that last season was the Rebel's best ever year for community engagement (posting the 'player of the week' on their page for example) and this was probably their worst.

Stuff like this isn't expensive, it just takes time.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes amirite, and it does not generate Revenue for the owner

It generates content and impressions, which is exposure, which hopefully leads to engagement with the Rebels in ways that generate $$$.

It's a hard one to track for those who love provable data, but it's there.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The Rebels need more targeted marketing in 2017, all good and well keeping the current crop of fans happy. But need to increase the supporter base and get the crowds in.

Get some kids watching the Rebels and saying to their parents they want to play rugby instead of AFL, Basketball and what ever else they are currently playing.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rebels need more targeted marketing in 2017, all good and well keeping the current crop of fans happy. But need to increase the supporter base and get the crowds in.

Get some kids watching the Rebels and saying to their parents they want to play rugby instead of AFL, Basketball and what ever else they are currently playing.

I think everyone can agree with this, but the question is how?

How can I compete in a space where I'm already behind, and my competitors have more money?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I don't really mind if they give away tickets if it builds a crowd, TGI Fridays would be a good place to start. When a family spends a certain amount give them a family pass to be used at any home game during the season.

AFL gives away so many tickets its crazy, same as Storm. Been to enough games and only paid once which was for a finals ticket.

I'm a paid up Rebels member, and always will be. I know some would complain about it but if it helps build a supporter base and the game in Melbourne than go for it.

And get back the Good Friday game, nothing else to do in Melbourne that day. And market it.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So not to sure why we signed Dominic Day, but lets get his better half to model the Rebels kit next year.
PAY-Nadia-Forde.jpg

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
As a foundation member I wouldn't care one bit if they gave away tickets to increase the supporter base. I am primarily a member to support the club, so whatever else they do to build numbers is OK by me. I am not a member to bring down the cost of match-day entry.

Same for me. I'm a supporter of Rugby in Victoria, through good and bad. The fact I get to enjoy high-quality Rugby for about 12 weeks every year (excluding Wallabies test matches) is just fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.