• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you flick these blokes and they go OS then the Super Rugby Teams lose players and we replace them club players who aren't upto Super Rugby. Fact is these blokes come through a schoolboys system that is weak and self driven. The comps are 100 years old and don't allow the best teams to play each other. You get a couple of hard games a year for 6 years of secondary school. Many players don't play club rugby after 14. So 10 GPS/CAS/ISA/AIC matches a year. Then into a super rugby team or academy. The kiwis must be laughing.
I think deep down the smarter kiwis are worried that we are increasingly uncompetitive.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Chekia needs decent assistants who work for the Wallabies full time. They need to spread the message to all 5 Super rugby teams so we can have some consistency in what we are doing. Larkham can coach the Brumbies full time and show he has some coaching ability. Gray isn't up to the job of Wallaby defensive coach. Les Kiss would be a good addition in my view or Matt Taylor.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Chekia needs decent assistants who work for the Wallabies full time. They need to spread the message to all 5 Super rugby teams so we can have some consistency in what we are doing. Larkham can coach the Brumbies full time and show he has some coaching ability. Gray isn't up to the job of Wallaby defensive coach. Les Kiss would be a good addition in my view or Matt Taylor.

I agree re: full-timers with maybe part-timers coming in to consult. Different perspectives have value.
I actually think Gray is an excellent coach and a great communicator that players seem to enjoy working with. I can see why you'd think otherwise given the outcome, but have you seen any of his sessions?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree re: full-timers with maybe part-timers coming in to consult. Different perspectives have value.
I actually think Gray is an excellent coach and a great communicator that players seem to enjoy working with. I can see why you'd think otherwise given the outcome, but have you seen any of his sessions?

On one view it wouldn't matter how good his sessions appeared because they are not producing the results on the park.
Its pretty hard to do anything positive in attack when your leaking like a sieve out on the edges - probably more like its overflowing like an overheated saucepan of milk.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
On one view it wouldn't matter how good his sessions appeared because they are not producing the results on the park.
Its pretty hard to do anything positive in attack when your leaking like a sieve out on the edges - probably more like its overflowing like an overheated saucepan of milk.

But I didn't say it was one view, in fact I used the plural.

I'm not going to get into the trap of over defending here, but like I said he's a good communicator that runs good sessions. Perhaps the analysis or methodology is off (hard to tell when you're not actually IN the environment) but the knowledge and communication of ideas are there.

I mean, it seemed to me that the Wallabies were trying to give the All Blacks the outside with the hope of isolating them and creating slow/turn-over ball. The Wobs had a large number of 'cover defenders'. The ABs were just way too clinical, so it didn't work.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Gray did a good job last year but it's not happening this year. That comes with experience. He needs a few more years at Super level before becoming a full time Wallaby assistant.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Surely getting rid of Ledesma is a bit over done? And by a bit, i mean a fuck load.

Finally the Wallbies can get scrum parity and dominace on occasion. He sure can't run a lineout so Fisher may help with that and general forward play.

I reckon he should go.

As scrum coach I would advocate Fatcat (Ben Robinson) - he may be a Tah but so what - I can forgive him.:)

Bloke was a very good scrummager, connects well with the group.

Agree Chek is set in stone (and probably the best choice anyway) but Grey and Larkham should be gone with Mario.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I reckon he should go.

As scrum coach I would advocate Fatcat (Ben Robinson) - he may be a Tah but so what - I can forgive him.:)

Based on what coaching experience? Coaching has just as much to do with communication then knowledge. Give him a job in club land or NRC to see what he can first.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon he should go.

Bloke was a very good scrummager, connects well with the group.

Agree Chek is set in stone (and probably the best choice anyway) but Grey and Larkham should be gone with Mario.

Oh yeah Fatcat is a great identifier of talent, apparently it was him who said that Ta'avao was a great THP FFS.

T

Train Without a Station

What do you mean Gnostic?

Noted lazy trainer who's peak coincided with laws that suited his body type, and could not even make a Wallabies squad once the laws changed to no longer suit him.

Sounds like he'd make a great coach.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What do you mean Gnostic?

Noted lazy trainer who's peak coincided with laws that suited his body type, and could not even make a Wallabies squad once the laws changed to no longer suit him.

Sounds like he'd make a great coach.

Sure Cat was "lazy" or not mobile around the field. BUT he was a very good scrummager and quite technical as well.

I advocated the bloke as scrum coach NOT forwards coach

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sure Cat was "lazy" or not mobile around the field. BUT he was a very good scrummager and quite technical as well.

Nobody can disagree with that, but it's particularly notable he was an excellent proponent of the old set of scrum rules, and a medium quality proponent of the CURRENT scrum rules.
Then there's obvious the fact that a good player does not necessarily equal a good communicator, even if he's got great 'chat' with the boys.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
All of fat cats really good scrummaging came before the law changes, after they were in place he really struggled to adapt and fell right of the wallabies radar as a result. Doesn't sound like the makings of a good scrum coach or at very least presents enough of a question to want to see him hold the role at super level for a few years first.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

So, you want to replace our currently successful scrum coach with someone who has no coaching history and as a player struggled under the current interpretations?

OK...........

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Nobody can disagree with that, but it's particularly notable he was an excellent proponent of the old set of scrum rules, and a medium quality proponent of the CURRENT scrum rules.
Then there's obvious the fact that a good player does not necessarily equal a good communicator, even if he's got great 'chat' with the boys.

Doesn't the same apply to Mario or has he played under the "new" rules in the last couple of years????

And Mario being a "good communicator" - I'll just leave that one alone

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So, you want to replace our currently successful scrum coach with someone who has no coaching history and as a player struggled under the current interpretations?

OK.....

You reckon he has been THAT successful - you are kidding

You make it sound like we dominated the Soapies and AB's. At best we had some parity, some wins but a long way from consistent domination.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
You reckon he has been THAT successful - you are kidding

You make it sound like we dominated the Soapies and AB's. At best we had some parity, some wins but a long way from consistent domination.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

No test side consistently dominates the scrum. Parity with the odd test on top is a damn side better than our results in the scrum prior to Ledesma's involvement.

I'm very keen to hear how you know he is a poor communicator if you'd care to enlighten us.

Status
Not open for further replies.