• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2017 Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I assume we'll be competing with SA to lock in a French series............

In 2009 we played two tests against Italy, and then one against France after they completed their NZ tour...........

Italy were much more competitive back then.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Its actually a good thing we don't get France as top 14 doesn't finish until the end of June now.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyway. We're talking about playing Fiji in Suva, as well as you guys, which would maybe indicate that they'll be one of the sides.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't they have to be available for the June test window?

If selected, yes, but there seems to be a "gentlemans agreement" (& I'm using that in the broadest possible sense :) ) between the National selectors & the Clubs that players won't be selected if their team is still involved in the playoffs. Same thing happens in England, last time Poms were in NZ they sent 30-odd for the first Test then a further 16 arrived after their Final & in time for Tests 2 & 3 plus the mid-weeker.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If selected, yes, but there seems to be a "gentlemans agreement" (& I'm using that in the broadest possible sense :) ) between the National selectors & the Clubs that players won't be selected if their team is still involved in the playoffs. Same thing happens in England, last time Poms were in NZ they sent 30-odd for the first Test then a further 16 arrived after their Final & in time for Tests 2 & 3 plus the mid-weeker.

That reminds me - why don't more touring sides play mid-weekers anymore?
I know Wales did this year, and they did against the Brumbies in 2012 as well.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

That sucks. Thankfully we don't agree.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pity the Lions' tour down under couldn't be a shared tournament with both NZ and Aus tests, and maybe to cap off, a barbarians style game against a combined NZ/Aus side.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pity the Lions' tour down under couldn't be a shared tournament with both NZ and Aus tests, and maybe to cap off, a barbarians style game against a combined NZ/Aus side.

Great but would there be any Aussies in that match ? That is, based on performance not on attracting bums on seats.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Lions tours occupy pretty much all of the window available for NH players. Big money spinner for the host nation (as we know from 2013). It's a winning formula on and off the field and change would be unwise IMO.

As the ARU have know about this predicament since 2012 (see article in post #15), I'd like to think that they have some contingency in place.

As far as I can see the possibilities are:

Italy - unlikely to draw much in the way of crowds and have gone backwards of late

Georgia - unlikely to draw a crowd and of similar standard to Italy

US or Canada - unlikely to draw a crowd and similar to Italy and Georgia

Japan - maybe a bigger crowd than the above and maybe money from TV in Japan

Pacific Islands - would draw the biggest crowds of the available opponents. As a suggestion Wallabies could play one test against each and then a test against a combined PI team.

Whatever happens, 2017 won't be a year where the inbound tours will generate much, if anything, in the way of profit. Might be useful in the longterm promotion of the game if done right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.