• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I doubt we will see too much change from the current squad. Koirobete should not be rushed in, there are a lot of nuances to his position that would be better learnt in Super Rugby. I think we may only see Ready, Holloway, Staniforth, Morahan and Naivalu in contention. My bolter would be Jake Gordon.

I'd say Yes, No, No, Maybe and Yes. Gut feel.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
i dont know why Staniforth would come in when Neville, Enever and Carter have all played more often, played well and consistently and would warrant selection ahead of him. he a great prospect but we havent seen enough of him to pick him ahead of a few other players.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
whats Jono Lances chances of making the squad? i know he didnt play that many games this year but i thought the games he did play in he was great. and we certainly need a 3rd option for flyhalf

N

NTT

I'd say Yes, No, No, Maybe and Yes. Gut feel.

Holloway gives us everything Timani does but with a more instinctual running game and far superior ball skills. Staniforth gives us everything that Mumm and Fardy does but is dam sight more physical than both of them and gets better the higher he progresses. Morahan is setting the NRC on fire, must be close to another chance.
I could have gone statetriotic and said Ross Haylett-Petty.
You gotta admit though we have some big strong 6 options coming through.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Holloway gives us everything Timani does but with a more instinctual running game and far superior ball skills. Staniforth gives us everything that Mumm and Fardy does but is dam sight more physical than both of them and gets better the higher he progresses. Morahan is setting the NRC on fire, must be close to another chance.
I could have gone statetriotic and said Ross Haylett-Petty.
You gotta admit though we have some big strong 6 options coming through.

Not a criticism of any players, more a feel for what might / will happen - Holloway will be underdone after a long injury lay-off (plus Cheika never really a fan); 6 and lock options look full currently with Simmons / Douglas / Coleman / Arnold (in no particular order) and at 6 with Timani, Mumm and Fardy (Staniforth is a bit of a hybrid, no?). Naivalu has been the next quick thing for a while so may well get the nod over Morahan.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Groucho
The difference between probable and possible can be as little as 1%
Happy to change my view, but only just.:)

I just don't think that their home record this year (two 6-point wins and a 6-point loss to Ireland and a very scratchy 7-point win over Argentina) automatically qualifies them as favourites.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
(plus Cheika never really a fan)
I'm sure the opposite is true. Cheika recruited Holloway and patiently developed him instead of rushing him into the first XV. It's purely a coincidence that his breakout year was after Cheika left to coach the Wobs, and had more to do with Wycliff Palu than Cheika.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm sure the opposite is true. Cheika recruited Holloway and patiently developed him instead of rushing him into the first XV. It's purely a coincidence that his breakout year was after Cheika left to coach the Wobs, and had more to do with Wycliff Palu than Cheika.
Gagger on the pod made mention of a rumour that Cheika doesn't rate Holloway's physicality if I recall

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Holloway gives us everything Timani does but with a more instinctual running game and far superior ball skills.

Staniforth gives us everything that Mumm and Fardy does but is dam sight more physical than both of them and gets better the higher he progresses.

I pretty strongly disagree with these statements.

Staniforth and Timani are players that do their best work in traffic in the middle channel, scattering well set defensive lines for later phases. Holloway and Fardy do their best work wider, running against jockeying defences that they can really challenge. Fards also has some breakdown skills that the others don't (though he hasn't been on song in that area lately).

Mumm on the other hand is sort of a 'gap filler' in the sense that he can be relied on to make his tackles, be good in the lineout, and play the system to a tee. Conversely, he is not going to deliver game breaking moments.

These aren't apples to apples choices, and that's before you even consider the experience these blokes bring to the table.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My touring squad:

prop: Ala'alatoa/Smith, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Slipper
hooker: Hanson, Latu, Ready
lock: Arnold, Coleman, Douglas, Simmons
backrow: Fardy, Holloway, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Timani, AN Other
scrumhalf: Frisby, Phipps, Powell
flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
centre: Godwin, Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani
wing: Kellaway, Morahan, Naivalu, Speight
fullback: DHP, Folau

injured

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
My touring squad:

prop: Ala'alatoa/Smith, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Slipper
hooker: Hanson, Latu, Ready
lock: Arnold, Coleman, Douglas, Simmons
backrow: Fardy, Holloway, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Timani, AN Other
scrumhalf: Frisby, Phipps, Powell
flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
centre: Godwin, Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani
wing: Kellaway, Morahan, Naivalu, Speight
fullback: DHP, Folau

injured

So your captain is presumably Hooper?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Obviously, as much as he's battling, reckon we'll see Moore on the plane.

But I'm waiting for the injury reaper to take an obligatory couple of names before firming up my squad list.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think there's plenty of room for Holloway or Demsey on the EOYT. They're both very strong in the lineout and in the wider channels - whereas if you notice Timani/McMahon like to do their damage in the middle.

All of those players can coexist.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Obviously, as much as he's battling, reckon we'll see Moore on the plane.

But I'm waiting for the injury reaper to take an obligatory couple of names before firming up my squad list.

Think you are correct Kiap

Moore is struggling and really I cannot see him returning to the performance levels he once had.

It would be a good opportunity to have a new Touring Captain but I seriously doubt that Chek would entertain the idea.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think there's plenty of room for Holloway or Demsey on the EOYT. They're both very strong in the lineout and in the wider channels - whereas if you notice Timani/McMahon like to do their damage in the middle.

All of those players can coexist.

Holloway is in team rehab and won't be available for the EOYT. Next sighting will be in 2017 Super Rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This touring side is shaping up as one of the least unknowns in memory. One or two spots maybe still up for grabs, but injuries and form reversals in the next two tests aside, most of the squad can be pencilled in right now.

However, personally, I'd like to see a couple more smokeys on the plane, specifically Kellaway, Gordon, Lance, and perhaps Hanigan. But including some or all of these will be at the expense of others who are fairly certain of their spots, so I don't expect to see any of them in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.