• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't worry, he can play for the Rising against the Rays, and in the finals if we make it.

Is this confirmed? TBH, I think the bloke is entitled to a Mad Monday and a few days to unwind.

I don't think he'll play. If only Vikings hadn't shot themselves in the foot so many times in that game.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So is To'omua done for Wallabies any news on the concussions. I just read his off to the Tigers. Did they just say take the time off and then head over ??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

If the Storm bombed this year, as I hoped they would, he probably would've and who knows what happens on the spring tour. :(

Given the mid week tour games have been scrapped there is absolutely no grounds to take him on the Spring Tour, instead sit him down with DVD's of great rugby union wingers, a rule book and send him off to study for the summer.. give the right to tour with the Wallabies to a player who has actually been performing well in 'rugby union', if they want an outside back then reward Perese, Kellaway or one of the other inform NRC players.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Given the mid week tour games have been scrapped there is absolutely no grounds to take him on the Spring Tour, instead sit him down with DVD's of great rugby union wingers, a rule book and send him off to study for the summer.. give the right to tour with the Wallabies to a player who has actually been performing well in 'rugby union', if they want an outside back then reward Perese, Kellaway or one of the other inform NRC players.

Agreed, and that's why I wish he'd have played NRC.

That being said, rugby players aren't academics. They learn better by doing (at training) then they do from analysing tape. Obvious both have value, but it pays to account for a player's learning style (VARK testing is a big thing in coaching).

Someone like Tom Robertson's point of difference (and the reason for his quick rise) is his love of analysis, but he is by no means the norm.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Today's Rugby news has a bit about Koroibete only really coming to Union for the money, saying that he would've liked to stay with the Storm.

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite in saying this but if he's fast tracked into the Wallabies then I think that stinks. I have previously backed players that have chased cash because but I think it's different when it's a Aus Rugby player heading to France to get a big pay day as opposed to a Leaguie coming to Rugby just for the money; hence the feeling like a hypocrite.

If it's true then he's a proper mercenary and I don't think we need that at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am sure most of the players coming across from league do know the law but under pressure and with their inexperience, instincts take over and they do what they have always done.

It takes a while for it to become instinctual to do something different to what you are used to doing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Today's Rugby news has a bit about Koroibete only really coming to Union for the money, saying that he would've liked to stay with the Storm.

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite in saying this but if he's fast tracked into the Wallabies then I think that stinks. I have previously backed players that have chased cash because but I think it's different when it's a Aus Rugby player heading to France to get a big pay day as opposed to a Leaguie coming to Rugby just for the money; hence the feeling like a hypocrite.

If it's true then he's a proper mercenary and I don't think we need that at the moment.

It didn't work out with Karmichael Hunt but I think it will be similar that he will be fast tracked to the Wallaby squad (I have no idea whether that means he will go on the EOYT or whether he will just be brought into the meetings early next year etc.).

I have no problem with him moving for more money. League wingers don't get paid that much particularly in a star-studded team and not playing State of Origin or for Australia means he misses out on the biggest paydays available to boost his earnings.

He's a genuine star and has the qualities we need from a winger. I think he will end up being a regular Wallaby.

His current team are into a grand final and playing very well so I can certainly see the emotional side of not wanting to leave that environment for something that is unknown.

T

Train Without a Station

Scoey I'm with you.

The more I hear from Koribete the less I like about him

First he came out saying he was promised to be picked on the EOYT, which Cheika then seemed to back track from.

Now he's come out saying he only came for money and doesn't really want to come.

Sure money is always a factor but most of us that enjoy what we do don't make decisions based on money and nothing else in our careers.

It just comes across as though he'll take the best offer next time and be gone pretty quick. As a result I would be less inclined to want to invest too much into him.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Fair enough Braveheart. I haven't seen him play nor do I know much about him other than what people have written on here so possibly if I had seen how good he supposedly is then it would be easier to ignore his alleged motivation for the switch.
I guess I'm just getting an uneasy feeling about him. First he says publicly that Chieka had told him that if he signed he'd be taken on the EOYT which Chieka then came out and said wasn't quite right, and now he's publicly saying that he's basically chasing the coin and that he didn't really want to play Rugby. I admire his honesty, but I can't help but worry about the other players that have worked their way through the pathway that are seeing this and becoming disenfranchised with the whole thing and then taking a league or O/S offer. I'm being dramatic obviously but my point should be clear.

I guess I just want guys playing for the Wallabies that really want to be there and have had to work their asses of to get their spot. I will wrap it up but by admitting that I got a similar uneasy feeling about Folau and we all know how that ended up.

EDIT: Beat me to the punch TWAS.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I will highlight that the Koribete article/s involves a lot of journalist written text and very little quotations. Context is key.

If I guess why he moved to the Rebels specifically it would be because:

1. He didn't want to leave Melbourne, the Fijian community here is strong.
2. He wanted to make more money (league wingers aren't well paid), but the issue was the above.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't have a problem with any of that amirite. Happy for him to come to Rugby for the cash. Not stoked though with him being fast tracked into the Wallabies (if true) if he's just here for the coin though.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't have a problem with any of that amirite. Happy for him to come to Rugby for the cash. Not stoked though with him being fast tracked into the Wallabies (if true) if he's just here for the coin though.

Agreed mate. I just hope he was quoted out of context.

I get the feeling that maybe he's just not that great at 'managing the media' and this might all be smoke and no fire.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The original story was that koroibete was connected to union via Naivalu who is either related or comes from the same village in Fiji. Chieka has always upheld that players coming across have to want to play rugby and the ARU don't sound NRL players out, the players make the first move. In that context its very interesting that Koriobete now claims the opposite. Is he feeling pressure from higher places in the NRL who don't want to showcase a future Wallaby on their main event? Or is he just saying something under the pressure of the media or does he genuinely regret leaving. Either way he might regret his comments as early as next week. He seems a little PR dyslexic to me.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

He is a professional rugby athlete, of course he came for the money..
he was in arguably one of the best rugby union/rugby league systems and clubs in Australia, and has signed to another club which up until this point has had no real onfield success..

Sure he could have rattled off the cliche BS "I wanted to challenge myself", so at least he is been hondst