• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rumours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well,It will be either about their hospitality tickets for the Test match this week, or about money.
BP will be desperately hoping it's about the wine list this week.
But I think he's out of luck:)

T

Tip

Latest Super Rugby rumour

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/ad...organisers-talks-form-massive-new-tournament/

Now I don't mind this idea, two conferences. Loosing the Saffas to Europe time zone and than oz, nz and japan. Makes more sense than the current format.

Also throws massive pressure back on France and England.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
It really is a brilliant power play by the 4nations of Pro12. They'd still be able to take their slice of the Heiniken cup pie too, as the competition would fold if it's just England & France.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Latest Super Rugby rumour

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/ad...organisers-talks-form-massive-new-tournament/

Now I don't mind this idea, two conferences. Loosing the Saffas to Europe time zone and than oz, nz and japan. Makes more sense than the current format.

Also throws massive pressure back on France and England.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The main reports seem to be coming out of Ireland. Will be interesting to see if it has any legs. Would automatically jump to a 30 competition. In the reports I've seen they mention the Jaguares playing in Europe as well but I'd prefer them to stay with us.

I think if this happens then both need to seriously look at entering the Nth Americas market. I've previously stated that I would prefer to see PRO given time but there are some huge movements going on Stateside that I cannot provide details of until I okay it with someone.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
A north/south deal like this would also facilitate the global season as all of a sudden 2/3rds of the six nations have a big interest in making it happen. It unites all the central control mode nations and only leaves the two club control model nations sitting outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monty

Frank Nicholson (4)
I've previously stated that I would prefer to see PRO given time but there are some huge movements going on Stateside that I cannot provide details of until I okay it with someone.

Sounds interesting WCR. Can you give us any indication of when any of this could potentially be communicated (either by you or the organisers)?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I was going to put this in an article but I'd prefer to do it here.

There's a bit going on in the US. First of all, PRO Rugby appears set to kick off its second season in March next year. Bringing the season forward about a month. Not likely to please the clubs that play in the Pacific Rugby Premiership the formerly highest level of play in the US. They run during that window. No word on any Canadian involvement yet. Of course RC has a serious fire to put out with their 7s residency program if reports of payment in vouchers etc. materialise to be true.

The Pro12 and its overtures has at least 6 different groups interested in making a bid. Houston seems a favourite location. Though with USARugby CEO Dan Payne publicly backing PRO their enthusiasm mightbe dampened somewhat.

PRO has some competition apparently. Or so they say with Major League Rugby (not to be mistaken for the fan page) talking some trash. Though just like the NRFL I remain skeptical on their chances until we see something concrete.

What may be materialising is a French backed league based on new and established high performance clubs. If anyone saw the article about Boudjellal setting up shop in Miami. He's at the head of the effort. Apparently several Top14 clubs are seriously looking with Racing already aligned with the Austin Huns and Brive supposedly in early talks with a Houston team. There has also apparently been a meeting involving several other clubs as well.

Finally, in 2005 the USAR sold sanctioing rights to William Tatham. Who set up Grand Prix entertainment with plans to launch Pro 7s. Nothing came of it for some time before they announced a failed attempt two years ago. Well, the re-signed for those rights recently until 2024 but have been reasonably active following. They've recently purchased American Rugby 7s another group looking to do something similar. Why? Well, apparently their sanctioning is conditional on getting something on the field in 2017 or they lose them. AR7s managed to get a proof of concept up in 2015. So, after 12 years 2017 could finally see so,ething from this group.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Tatham wasn't the guy pushing that mutant form of "pro 7's" was he?

Would really like to see PRO given another 2 or 3 seasons at least before USAR backs any other ventures, verbally or otherwise.

Do we really have the depth in talent to field a side in an expanded Pro-12/Super Rugby competition? Do we have the depth in viewership for the competition organizers to justify stitching that many extra time zones and travel demands on the comp?

If we're actually going ahead with a foreign gold rush into American rugby, I really hope USAR are the ones selling the shovels.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Tatham wasn't the guy pushing that mutant form of "pro 7's" was he?

Would really like to see PRO given another 2 or 3 seasons at least before USAR backs any other ventures, verbally or otherwise.

Do we really have the depth in talent to field a side in an expanded Pro-12/Super Rugby competition? Do we have the depth in viewership for the competition organizers to justify stitching that many extra time zones and travel demands on the comp?

If we're actually going ahead with a foreign gold rush into American rugby, I really hope USAR are the ones selling the shovels.

If you're thinking of Super 7s then no. In the early days he suggested an indoor format but that appears to have fallen by the wayside.

PRO has sanctioning up unfil the end of 2018 with an option of buying an extension up until 2020. So if another league does emerge it wiill be without official sanctioning which might make talent acquisition difficult.

Evidently the highest non test or World Series audience was 180,000 for last years Varsity Cup final. So there are questions on viability. Certainly for the Pro12 as I really don't see their brand being strong enough to draw in more Rugby fans. Super Rugby might but its still questionable. That's why I think Payne has publicly backed PRO. The market in terms of viewership is still very underdeveloped and it probably would be more beneficial to let someone develop it before making the leap.

Status
Not open for further replies.