• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
manly should still be called the blues this marlins name is dumb

oh and by the way that replacement as you call him Damien Cummins got manly to a grand final in 2015. Something that the previous coach Phil Blake never did. So i think your comments are pretty ill informed. Cummins should have been given another chance because in my expereince Brian Melrose is a coach that alienates players and doesnt ever stay around very long. As a Manly junior and Colts player I love the club but this decision is one that will come back too bite them. Just my opinion

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
oh and by the way that replacement as you call him Damien Cummins got manly to a grand final in 2015. Something that the previous coach Phil Blake never did. So i think your comments are pretty ill informed. Cummins should have been given another chance because in my expereince Brian Melrose is a coach that alienates players and doesnt ever stay around very long. As a Manly junior and Colts player I love the club but this decision is one that will come back too bite them. Just my opinion
Agree.
Both good, but different coaches.
I dont think the coach selection should have been put out to tender.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Pretty big call about a guy with as distinguished a coaching career both here and overseas as Billy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Pretty big call about a guy with as distinguished a coaching career both here and overseas as Billy

He's not a bad coach, but I'd hardly call his career "distinguished".

West Harbour for 2 years, Manly for 2 years, Rams ARC for 1 year, Aust 20s coach for 1 year, Eastwood for 1 year, Connaught (assistant) 1 year, London Irish 1 year and Rams NRC 1 year. Mid-field or semi-finalist results at most. Has never been anywhere long enough to set things up for the long term. That many short term tenures pretty much leaves two possibilities; he doesn't like long-term committments or the clubs don't like the idea of him long-term.

A mate of mine is in HR and he would say that anyone who moves around that often, he puts their CV straight in the bin.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)

West Harbour for 2 years, Manly for 2 years, Rams ARC for 1 year, Aust 20s coach for 1 year, Eastwood for 1 year, Connaught (assistant) 1 year, London Irish 1 year and Rams NRC 1 year. Mid-field or semi-finalist results at most. Has never been anywhere long enough to set things up for the long term. That many short term tenures pretty much leaves two possibilities; he doesn't like long-term committments or the clubs don't like the idea of him long-term.

A mate of mine is in HR and he would say that anyone who moves around that often, he puts their CV straight in the bin.
You blokes are right, the amount of guys who give coaching a crack and never make it to the professional level, i hope one day I'm as undistinguished as him...

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
You blokes are right, the amount of guys who give coaching a crack and never make it to the professional level, i hope one day I'm as undistinguished as him.

Anyone that moves around that much really must have a question mark around there ability.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone that moves around that much really must have a question mark around there ability.
That really depends on the terms under which he left those places. If he had been moved on I'd understand the concern, but on the other hand any coach looking to progress their career would be mad to stay at a place if it didnt look like getting them any closer to where they want to be long term. It may be easy to say going to shute shield is a backward step based on previous experience there, but i think it is fair to say that shute shield is far more professional now than 10 years ago

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You blokes are right, the amount of guys who give coaching a crack and never make it to the professional level, i hope one day I'm as undistinguished as him.

Plenty of people are that undistinguished - it's quite a big club.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That really depends on the terms under which he left those places. If he had been moved on I'd understand the concern, but on the other hand any coach looking to progress their career would be mad to stay at a place if it didnt look like getting them any closer to where they want to be long term.

So he left Manly in 2004 to progress his career? Twelve years later he's back coaching Manly - progressing his career? Without getting too deeply into it, I think that you'll find that he's parted ways with a lot of different clubs for the same reason and it's not necessarily just because he "wants to progress his career".

He has something to offer without doubt, but to characterise him as a distinuished international coach at the elite level is not supported by the facts.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)

Ahh yes. People in HR...a club GM summed them up for me earlier in the year when I was having a cleansing ale with him.

He said people in HR have nothing to do when everything is working well........so they invent things.

I wouldn't be too concerned about what people in HR think. Melrose is a good coach, no question.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yes, he is a good coach. No, I wouldn't have a cleansing ale with him. There're reasons why he's had so many clubs the last 15 years.

QH, I think you missed a stint at the Waratahs Academy/Junior Tahs about 2003. I'll try and find it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Melrose is a good coach, no question.

I never said he was a bad coach, I was questioning whether he could be described as an internationally distinguished coach.

So, he's never stayed anywhere long enough to have any sort of lasting, long-term impact on a club or even on a group of players and he has never actually won anything as a coach. He's previously applied for super coaching roles (unsuccessfully) and is back where he was 12 years ago.

I have no question that he has good knowledge of the technical parts of a rugby game, but good coaching is more than that. The fact that he has never stayed anywhere longer than 2 seasons suggests shortcomings in the other aspects of coaching.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Melrose & Turtle are both good coaches, and they bring different strengths.
Most coaching gigs are 2 - 3 years, silly HR comparison.

People have referenced Phil Blake in the preceding posts - what are his stints like, I can rattle off many other successful coaches with 2 - 3 years stints.

Reactions: fkj

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Melrose & Turtle are both good coaches, and they bring different strengths.
Most coaching gigs are 2 - 3 years, silly HR comparison.

People have referenced Phil Blake in the preceding posts - what are his stints like, I can rattle off many other successful coaches with 2 - 3 years stints.

I'm afraid that for once we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rumblings from the "local" Rats players that many many new players are being brought in with the new coaches, familiar story line on offer to the new prospects of pay, job offers etc.

Once the newbies hear of broken promises from the current crew it should be an interesting environment.

Current Rats management should be careful not to alienate the local supporters by losing their "local" talent appeal.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rumblings from the "local" Rats players that many many new players are being brought in with the new coaches, familiar story line on offer to the new prospects of pay, job offers etc.

Once the newbies hear of broken promises from the current crew it should be an interesting environment.

Current Rats management should be careful not to alienate the local supporters by losing their "local" talent appeal.

New coaches tend to bring at least some new players with them. I thought Coleman was doing a great job at Easts (in fact I was surprised that they punted him), so it wouldn't surprise to see a few follow him to Warriewood.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
Just a general question guys. Are there any rules around poaching players from other shute shield clubs? I have just got wind of Parramatta having a dedicated recruitment manager who i wont name. He has been active and especially ive been told trying to raid penrith already signing 3 players from the emus and he has been contacting wests players. Surely there should be some regulations around this or it just becomes a free for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.