• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
See the Bookies have the Boks favourite.

If Cheika wants to maintain or increase the little momentum we have we have to win against these blokes on Saturday night.

I just hope he picks the right players to do the job.

A loss throws us back to the starting position.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We will lose a game at some point but that doesn't necessarily mean we haven't made progress overall. A win in Pretoria would be a massive boost to confidence, a loss is fathomable provided it's to a team who play well on the night.

All that said, we should win unless the Boks improve measurably.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
All things being equal and with the right selections we SHOULD win against the Boks and Argentina. That would give us a massive boost in confidence.

With the utmost respect it is unlikely that even with that boost we will lose to the AB's. I can live with that as long as we are competitive.

A loss against the Bokkies and / or Pimas really means to me that things are not improving to an acceptable level.

Time will tell.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All things being equal and with the right selections we SHOULD win against the Boks and Argentina. That would give us a massive boost in confidence.

We've never beaten the Boks at Loftus so a win would be an upset and a big moment for Australian rugby, not just this Wallabies team.

I'm surprised the Boks aren't much shorter priced favourites. $1.72 at home against someone that isn't the All Blacks is massive odds in their favour. The last time the Springboks lost at Loftus against someone other than the All Blacks was against England in 1994.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

With the utmost respect it is unlikely that even with that boost we will lose to the AB's. I can live with that as long as we are competitive.

A loss against the Bokkies and / or Pimas really means to me that things are not improving to an acceptable level.

Time will tell.

Scrubber you seem very concerned with team selections. I don't see any changes coming form Cheika except for the forced change of McMahon in for Poey.

What other changes would Cheika make? I can't see any.

Actually a better question. What changes should he make? Personally I'd go with Hodge over Foley at 12.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wont happen. Foley is kicking near 100% over the past few tests and is working well with QC (Quade Cooper).
Maybe a move to 12 late in the game is on for Hodge if we are winning well or losing with no hope.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrubber you seem very concerned with team selections. I don't see any changes coming form Cheika except for the forced change of McMahon in for Poey.

What other changes would Cheika make? I can't see any.

Actually a better question. What changes should he make? Personally I'd go with Hodge over Foley at 12.

I reckon Chek will stick to his guns and only bring in McMahon for Poey. Alan A to replace Robertson on bench

That just means more of the same to me.

Personally I reckon
Slipper for Sio - no brainer, Sio has not had 1 ball carry in the last 2 tests - not one.
Moore has to start with Taf not touring - Hansen will be bench
Keps, Simmo and Coleman - no brainers
Change Fardy for Mumm, Hooper at 7 and Timani at 8 (wanna see the big lad start and see what he has to show at this level) McMahon as cover
Genia and Cooper at 9 and 10.
Would change Foley for Hodge - won't ever happen as long as Chek is coach) - Foley to bench
Folau to 13 - sooner or later its going to happen so now is a good opportunity,
DHP to 15
Speight and Nalvalu to wings

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
1. Slipper
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Foley
13. Kerevi
14. Hodge
15. Folau

16. Robertson
17. Hanson
18. Sio
19. Douglas
20. McMahon
21. Phipps
22. Kuridrani (???)
23. DHP

I'd like to see Douglas given some time off the bench. Hes a tad out of form and probably not up to speed in terms of fitness but I think he has the highest ceiling of the Australian 2nd rowers (alongside Coleman) and would like to see him be given an opportunity to find some match fitness and confidence from there.

In terms of #22, I'm not sure who I'd have to cover the inside backs. I think Kuridrani is quite out of form but I don't know who else we could use.

At 8 I'd like to see Timani given a chance to run on and stake his claim. If he's not performing then we can always sub McMahon on at halftime. Likewise, I'd like to see Fardy reinstated at 6 as I believe hes the best option for the Wobs there if he can stop giving away stupid fucking penalties and yapping at the ref.

Slipper to replace Sio as I think hes the better player and certainly in better form. Naivalu brought into the team to provide the Wobs with some real pace and the attacking threat that presents. Speight hasn't shown anything that resembles the required form to be playing for the Wobs in the NRC.

Hodge stays in the team to remind the Boks that they can't infringe within 60 of the posts otherwise they'll pay with points. Also to defend in the midfield.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon Chek will stick to his guns and only bring in McMahon for Poey. Alan A to replace Robertson on bench

That just means more of the same to me.

Personally I reckon
Slipper for Sio - no brainer, Sio has not had 1 ball carry in the last 2 tests - not one.
Moore has to start with Taf not touring - Hansen will be bench
Keps, Simmo and Coleman - no brainers
Change Fardy for Mumm, Hooper at 7 and Timani at 8 (wanna see the big lad start and see what he has to show at this level) McMahon as cover
Genia and Cooper at 9 and 10.
Would change Foley for Hodge - won't ever happen as long as Chek is coach) - Foley to bench
Folau to 13 - sooner or later its going to happen so now is a good opportunity,
DHP to 15
Speight and Nalvalu to wings

Seven changes? That would be a Wallaby record. I think that after the first two wins of the year, some consistency is called for.

T

Train Without a Station

Douglas has the highest ceiling?

He's got the worst running game and worst line out ability of the 4 that have been used as starters.

If anything he has the lowest ceiling.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Seven changes? That would be a Wallaby record. I think that after the first two wins of the year, some consistency is called for.

Well its some new guys, but not new caps. More often than not positional changes of some existing players.

The team is not right ATM. We are a long way behind where we were at the end of RWC. Why ?

I would be happy for consistency once Chek has honestly tried some blokes in different spots and THEN decided if the change was warranted. Classic examples are Hodge, Folau and DHP.

I just want the best players playing in their best positions without fear or favour.

We seem to say one thing but actions reflect mediocrity

Of course this is just my opinion. Others may think Chek (and his assistants) is doing an unbelievable job, should not be open to any criticism whatsoever.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The way you frame it that anyone who doesn't agree with you thinks Cheika is doing an unbelievable job and shouldn't be open to any criticism is really conducive to effective discussion.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The way you frame it that anyone who doesn't agree with you thinks Cheika is doing an unbelievable job and shouldn't be open to any criticism is really conducive to effective discussion.

I am just putting forward my POV.

For the record Braveheart, how doYOU think Cheika is going with his win/loss ratio, team selections, choice and retention of assistants, media communication, banter with other coaches like Jones, Hanson and Henry.

Status
Not open for further replies.