• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I know of players who have received that sort of money in Premier Rugby. Not from the club but from a generous supporter. Do Norths have one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Jarvis

Frank Row (1)
I know of players who have received that sort of money in Premier Rugby. Not from the club but from a generous supporter. Do Norths have one?

No idea, that is a lot of money coming from somewhere. How does that help the future of the club?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Better performance draws more players. Also gets the team in the news, Qru website, more and attracts more sponsors.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Call me old fashioned but $1200 is absolutely obsurd! If a club is silly enough to pay 1 player that amount, they obviously need a few lessons in club management. While the guy can obviously play, he's not going to put them in the top 4 on his own. Even if it does produce better performances, why would the bloke beside him who is paying his own fees go the extra mile for his cashed up team mate? Club rugby 101, the two c's - coaching and colts.

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
I heard through the grapevine that souths were after Phoenix Hunapo-Nofoa (Samoa 7's) but Norths have apparently already signed him. I'm hearing figures of $1200 a game. Surely that isn't sustainable. The guy can play

Where does this money come from? Are all norths players on this sort of amounts?

I think you will find its the wrong Northside club, the poly boys said he's going to brothers not Norths . For 1200 bucks a game he's laughing wherever he goes as he's on more than all the fringe reds players in the EPS. I think you will find 1200 to be wrong by a long way regardless of where he lands.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

Well there's no doubt it will be divisive. I think it is a function of modern sport. Where an administrator is the biggest boss, trying different strategies to make a code popular (usually they have not done the hard yards on the paddock and in terms of culture). The strategies invariably "piss off" the natural custodians.. And this is where we r today.

For mine I don't like these administrators... But what do I know. Some battles ahead I assume. It's been boiling for a while (re Andrew slack to name a few) and it will come to a head and we will survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
UQ had 17 current players selected in NRC sides. It doesn't leave us with much of a squad to compete in this "mutiny" competition.

A team like Bond, who missed out on the Top Four and had precious few selected in the NRC would more than likely beat the UQ Reserve Grade side we'd roll out. Should they deserve UQ's position in the rebel comp?

The Sydney-centric view of Papworth and co screams of a cash-grab. How would funnelling dollars into the Shute Shield coffers help develop Rugby anywhere outside of their constituency anyway?

Fair enough, but I still see a great distance between nrc and mitre 10 cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
Theres a lot of talk about Norths floating around on here. Looks like the place to be in 2017. Can't wait to sit on the hill at the nest watching some wins.

New players to Norths: Tyrone Lefau (Wests), Jack Dean (England) Tonga Maafu (UQ) plus a heap more to be announced in the coming days.
Watch this space.....

Prediction: 3rd

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
Theres a lot of talk about Norths floating around on here. Looks like the place to be in 2017. Can't wait to sit on the hill at the nest watching some wins.

New players to Norths: Tyrone Lefau (Wests), Jack Dean (England) Tonga Maafu (UQ) plus a heap more to be announced in the coming days.
Watch this space...

Prediction: 3rd
RN, I just looked at their FB page , a lot going on. I was under the impression they had lost a lot of players based on some previous posts here but it's not looking that way. Last years captain coming back, their 4,6,8,2,5 in the pack. You sound like you have some inside info, will be intrigued to see future players announced. 3rd a big call but it would be massive if it were to happen.

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
RN, I just looked at their FB page , a lot going on. I was under the impression they had lost a lot of players based on some previous posts here but it's not looking that way. Last years captain coming back, their 4,6,8,2,5 in the pack. You sound like you have some inside info, will be intrigued to see future players announced. 3rd a big call but it would be massive if it were to happen.

Our only downfall is going to be coping with the loss of 3 premier front rowers. At a club where front rowers are scarce especially premier standard front rowers, it will be hard to replace them so hopefully some of the announcements will cover these loses. We do have Tonga and Dan Sutherland back but we all know you need 5 good front rowers for a season.

Have heard some good signings for colts too including Nudgee 10 Augustus Rangihuna which will be huge for us.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Our only downfall is going to be coping with the loss of 3 premier front rowers. At a club where front rowers are scarce especially premier standard front rowers, it will be hard to replace them so hopefully some of the announcements will cover these loses. We do have Tonga and Dan Sutherland back but we all know you need 5 good front rowers for a season.

Have heard some good signings for colts too including Nudgee 10 Augustus Rangihuna which will be huge for us.

Fairly sure rangihuna has signed with storm u20s. He was also playing 7s for UQ a few back as well I am told.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Can I just say if Norths is going to be the "place to be" why so many players have left in the last 2 years?
Taj Mailata, Daniel Crichton, Sam Satui, Kristian Satui, Stan Satui, Alex Perez, Gareth Ryan, Tonga Maafu (Although he is returning), Bart Richie, John Bishop, Matt Ika, Kieran Fitzgibon, Fred Tuua and whole host of others.

Is it perhaps that bringing all these "new signings" they are announcing are turning players away or perhaps mistreatment. Either way I highly doubt there has been this much of a player turnover at other clubs over the last 2 years.

Rugby nerd you seem to be in the know at Norths. Can you shed any light on why this is?

I know at GPS we have seen a massive walkout of players. This was due to a new coach coming and upsetting the proceedings that had gone on before. I would say that 2017 will see a lot of these players return but is perhaps the coach a reason at Norths too? Any other club seen this turnover at their home ground?

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can I just say if Norths is going to be the "place to be" why so many players have left in the last 2 years?
Taj Mailata, Daniel Crichton, Sam Satui, Kristian Satui, Stan Satui, Alex Perez, Gareth Ryan, Tonga Maafu (Although he is returning), Bart Richie, John Bishop, Matt Ika, Kieran Fitzgibon, Fred Tuua and whole host of others.

Is it perhaps that bringing all these "new signings" they are announcing are turning players away or perhaps mistreatment. Either way I highly doubt there has been this much of a player turnover at other clubs over the last 2 years.

Rugby nerd you seem to be in the know at Norths. Can you shed any light on why this is?

I know at GPS we have seen a massive walkout of players. This was due to a new coach coming and upsetting the proceedings that had gone on before. I would say that 2017 will see a lot of these players return but is perhaps the coach a reason at Norths too? Any other club seen this turnover at their home ground?

The last 2 years at GPS have really changed the top grades. We virtually lost the nucleus of both sides - a lot of experience went that could have helped nurse some younger boys into the top grades. Those names you have listed as having left norths, if you put that team on the park - gee what a team that would be, all quality premier standard players, so yes one does have to ask why would players of this calibre leave? Some names there are some of the last you'd expect to leave norths. Perhaps all this social media hype is nothing other than an over compensation for all the inside problems there. I think I saw a photo of their colts information evening with some creative caption; except I counted about 14 people in the photo. I hope for the sake of the comp they get themselves together but finals spots aren't made by social media posts. In the meantime, gutted to hear andy tucker has stepped down at GPS because of club politics, he was doing some good things at GPS, let's just hope Matho gets a start back where he belongs

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
They say life is cyclical well it wasn't that long ago that the finger was well and truly pointed at Sunnybank and now its the Eagles!!!

I am not for one minute going to point my finger at Norths - but can someone who knows outline for us what has been the change at Norths which has seen them now attract more players (incl. Reds contracted players) to their club?

Can anyone confirm whether QPR clubs were still prohibited from topping up Reds contracted players?

With all the hype around Norths I have heard that there are a few who are leaving the Nest at the end of 2016 for other QPR clubs - are those rumours correct? Its all very well to have the front door open but unless the back door is closed you can't built a proper culture.

Reactions: gws

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hi Bulldog, clubs are not allowed to offer contracted players one cent. QRU has outlawed it and rightly so.

Reactions: gws

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sunnybank didn't pay players for memory. They had, and still have, great facilities and a large pool of talent coming from surrounding suburbs near Sunnybank. With Logan having a Premier Grade team next year or thereafter, it might draw a number of players away from Oldmac.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
if a QPR side has 50k spare I would be saddened if this didn't go into rugby development not paying players

Status
Not open for further replies.