• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Scully Park is the venue for the final in Tamworth:

Scully Park.jpg

---

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So having beaten them last year Fiji Warriors just lost by a point to Argentina's A team in Argentina, with the Argie's scoring in the 84th minute to get the win. That Argentina team included a number of guys in the Jaguares squad plus their best up and comers.

I think we can be reasonably confident that the Fiji team will be competitive in the NRC based on results like this.

T

TOCC

Ultimately it may take them a year or two, but they will be competitive..

John McKee the Fiji XV's rugby coach also wants to get some of the Fijian's playing rugby in Australia's Super Rugby teams, in concept the idea has merit.. With the Sunwolves in Super Rugby now, maybe the Fijian marquee spot could replace the Japanese marquee position.

Someone like Nemani Nadalo who grew up in Brisbane and would be a bit of a cult hit could be the type of player who could fill that position.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Had this thought while sitting in traffic today. The ARU is designating $300k a season to assist with the Shute Shield broadcast. A broadcast that seems to have built a fairly solid advertiser base.

Now, while I'm a fan of the Shute Shield (I've watched it on TV every Saturday since I was 12) the $300k will only really go to helping one competition.

Perhaps the ARU could use that sum to offset some of Foxtel's costs in order to get a game or two each week broadcast on FTA. Worth a shot.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Had this thought while sitting in traffic today. The ARU is designating $300k a season to assist with the Shute Shield broadcast. A broadcast that seems to have built a fairly solid advertiser base.

Now, while I'm a fan of the Shute Shield (I've watched it on TV every Saturday since I was 12) the $300k will only really go to helping one competition.

Perhaps the ARU could use that sum to offset some of Foxtel's costs in order to get a game or two each week broadcast on FTA. Worth a shot.

Looking forward to reading Papps next open letter if and when that happens WCR

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm just watching the Wallaroos v Black Ferns match and heard the kiwi commentators discussing the difference between the preparation for each team. Our girls play club rugby and then have a three day carnival to pick the Australian team, while the kiwis have a NPC style competition for the ladies which is a much better preparation for test match rugby.

As I said a few pages back - I'd like to see a women's NRC with the games played before the men's games.

And in the context over the current brouhaha re the Papworth letter and talk of breakaway competitions etc, I'll restate my view that the NRC should move to a full two round home and away season from the end of May until the end of September. People said then that it couldn't be done because it would upset the clubs - now many of those same people are getting stuck into Papworth and the clubs. :confused:

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Without being overly enthusiastic, or too one-eyed, who would you ACTUALLY take on the spring tour from the NRC?

Note: Not blokes like Morahan or Latu, they're already in there.

I'd take.........
Bill Meakes - He makes good reads and looks good in contact in both attack and defence. Kerevi might be injured so there's sense here.
Jake Gordon - He plays good tempo and supports well, and I've seen more from him I like than Powell. The sense here is that we need to name four halfbacks because Genia won't be available for periods.

I'd CONSIDER taking.........
Ross Haylett-Petty - Not the finished product, but has looked good at times and is a foil for the Mumm/Fardy role. The coaches have decided this is a damn necessary role, and neither Mumm nor Fardy will make it through to the WC.
Tom Staniforth - More of a lock, but played well at 6. Same reasons as above.
Lukhan Tui - A bit body who looks talented. Still, could use a full preseason and more super games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm just watching the Wallaroos v Black Ferns match and heard the kiwi commentators discussing the difference between the preparation for each team. Our girls play club rugby and then have a three day carnival to pick the Australian team, while the kiwis have a NPC style competition for the ladies which is a much better preparation for test match rugby.

As I said a few pages back - I'd like to see a women's NRC with the games played before the men's games.

And in the context over the current brouhaha re the Papworth letter and talk of breakaway competitions etc, I'll restate my view that the NRC should move to a full two round home and away season from the end of May until the end of September. People said then that it couldn't be done because it would upset the clubs - now many of those same people are getting stuck into Papworth and the clubs. :confused:
Quick hands the only way nrc would be extended as you suggest is if Foxtel and sponsors would fund it. Problem is would also compete with super rugby so at best would only get fringe super rugby players outside of match day 23. Only way see long form domestic comp is we revamp our commitment to super rugby. So at this point your suggestion of nrc running from may to September I don't see as plausible unless rethink of super rugby happens and/ or broadcasters wishing to fund the expanded season which would conflict with there better rating super rugby product that at this point is completely unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Would like to see this as a first measure:

Super Rugby unbroken season starting Feb
Club Rugby runs at the same time - start to finish
When Super Rugby finishes, inbound Test window
When Club Rugby finishes, NRC

NRC runs through inbound Test window and TRC. Because the Test window generally has a week off to start, then weeks off in the middle, it gives NRC time to run through a few more rounds.

Also allows NRC games to be curtain raisers.

Result is decent season length for everyone, players with match fitness available to step into Super/Test rugby at the appropriate level.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I understand where you are coming from but there are some logistical issues with your suggestion. Firstly several ovals (Chatswood, Coogee, Manly) are not available in February. There are also some more player welfare risks by playing in the heat of summer.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Gordon, Randwick and Manly play their first few rounds away from home, easily fixed. If Super rugby can play in February why can't club players?

T

Train Without a Station

Day time games vs night games.

Becomes a real issue when you look at the lower grades playing around midday.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quick hands the only way nrc would be extended as you suggest is if Foxtel and sponsors would fund it. Problem is would also compete with super rugby so at best would only get fringe super rugby players outside of match day 23. Only way see long form domestic comp is we revamp our commitment to super rugby. So at this point your suggestion of nrc running from may to September I don't see as plausible unless rethink of super rugby happens and/ or broadcasters wishing to fund the expanded season which would conflict with there better rating super rugby product that at this point is completely unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment TV networks are falling over themselves to get women's sport on TV.

EDIT: Certainly far more likely to get a women's NRC on FTA than the men's version. In fact I could see the circumstance whereby a women's NRC game would be on FTA and the following men's game would only be on Foxtel.

Women's sport is in the midst of exponential growth - rugby has made a good start with the 7s, but as last Saturday showed, we're miles off the pace in 15s.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Would like to see this as a first measure:

Super Rugby unbroken season starting Feb
Club Rugby runs at the same time - start to finish
When Super Rugby finishes, inbound Test window
When Club Rugby finishes, NRC

NRC runs through inbound Test window and TRC. Because the Test window generally has a week off to start, then weeks off in the middle, it gives NRC time to run through a few more rounds.

Also allows NRC games to be curtain raisers.

Result is decent season length for everyone, players with match fitness available to step into Super/Test rugby at the appropriate level.

I did suggest something similar a few pages back and/or on another thread. NRC has to move to two rounds home and away. Final on the last Sunday in September when NRL and AFL don't schedule a semi.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Gordon, Randwick and Manly play their first few rounds away from home, easily fixed. If Super rugby can play in February why can't club players?

Add Norths to that list the wicket is a drop in which means it is taken out during rugby season.

In the interest of the Shute Shield though the more grounds that are not used by other sports the better and the less of them with cricket pitches in the middle the better!