• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I doubt that Webber would have won the WDC in 2010 - Dr Marko had Seb as his golden child and would make sure that he would win (see Turkey and Britain 2010). Seb post red bull is a really good bloke (watch his press conferences from 2015 onwards and the post race interview in Canada this year alongside Lewis Hamilton). Dr Marko was one of the main reasons why Webber wasn't WDC in 2010 (along with that strategy call in Abu Dhabi 2010, Turkey 2010 and Korea 2010)

I have no doubt about any of the above. It's just a shame that Mark was a victim of it.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pure chaos in the last 5 laps.

Kimi & Hulkenberg make contact.

Verstappen pushes vettel, gets 5 second penalty

Vettel gets very angry: https://my.mixtape.moe/gzvunt.mp4

Vettel then gets a 10 second penalty after a run in with Danny Ric, promoting Ricciardo to P3

Oh and Lewis Hamilton won

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hamilton wins the Brazilian Grand Prix. Ricciardo finishes 8th. Gap between Rosberg and Hamilton is 12 points - comes down to Abu Dhabi @ 11:00pm AEST

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nah I missed that. What happened in it?

The female was joking with him about the quality of his camera work and some advice she had received from her cameramen and he was taking in good heart but he had what I interpreted as a dig at Honda and perhaps McLaren - and when she tried to stay lighthearted he had another go.
Good on him!!

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hey torp - do you reckon they need to scrap the DRS and find a more honest way to even up the cars?

The problem with DRS, as you've said, is that it makes passing too easy, while on the other hand, if you get rid of it, passing becomes too hard and everyone complains. Something I've mused is for DRS to only be used when you're MORE than 1 second behind - i.e. help you get close to the car in front, but you have to pass yourself. As for evening up the cars, there is no real way I can think of - Toto Wolff says to keep consistent rules but that won't happen if 1 team is dominating. I sometimes think a return to 1997-style aero may be the only possibility to make passing easier (see here), but evening up the cars can never happen - it'll turn into a spec series otherwise and no-one wants that.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The problem with DRS, as you've said, is that it makes passing too easy, while on the other hand, if you get rid of it, passing becomes too hard and everyone complains. Something I've mused is for DRS to only be used when you're MORE than 1 second behind - i.e. help you get close to the car in front, but you have to pass yourself. As for evening up the cars, there is no real way I can think of - Toto Wolff says to keep consistent rules but that won't happen if 1 team is dominating. I sometimes think a return to 1997-style aero may be the only possibility to make passing easier (see here), but evening up the cars can never happen - it'll turn into a spec series otherwise and no-one wants that.

This sounds suspiciously like 'catch up mode' in Daytona USA.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The way I read it and I don't have the knowledge you do, Torpedo, is that Mercedes have so much money at their disposal that no one can compete.
You could have a salary cap - which is kind of what they tried to do with the tyres and engines - but policing it would be impossible.
If you had more restrictive aerodynamics rules there would be less scope for optimisation you'd think, but F1 history tends to prove the opposite in a sense: the tighter the rules the more money is spent finding advantages within them and, therefore, the richer teams are advantaged.
In a sense it suits F1 to have a major manufacturer dominating because it means they keep their money in the formula and so I wonder whether the powers that be actually think the present racing needs to be fixed to make it more interesting.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The way I read it and I don't have the knowledge you do, Torpedo, is that Mercedes have so much money at their disposal that no one can compete.
You could have a salary cap - which is kind of what they tried to do with the tyres and engines - but policing it would be impossible.
If you had more restrictive aerodynamics rules there would be less scope for optimisation you'd think, but F1 history tends to prove the opposite in a sense: the tighter the rules the more money is spent finding advantages within them and, therefore, the richer teams are advantaged.
In a sense it suits F1 to have a major manufacturer dominating because it means they keep their money in the formula and so I wonder whether the powers that be actually think the present racing needs to be fixed to make it more interesting.

Re: point 1 - I didn't mean to imply that - Mercedes have the advantage because they a) pushed for the v6 turbo hybrids and b) managed a 3-year head start on it.
Point 2 - there almost was a budget cap in 2010 (it would be optional, teams that took it would have more technical freedom). The big teams (Ferrari, Red Bull etc) didn't like it, and all the teams (bar Williams & Force India) would pull out of the sport. More details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA–FOTA_dispute
Point 3 - That's actually a good point
Point 4 - It isn't good, because viewership goes down, facebook, drivers and teams complain, and then the FIA implements panicked, not-thought-through rule changes (qualy for Australia & Bahrain)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

2017 aero package (more down-force) and tyres (wider) may start making DRS redundant (fingers crossed).

Its headed back towards the ground effects days (like 1997) without the "fear of god losing the vacuum" (like pulling a suction cup off a window; once it unsticks....) issues.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
2017 aero package (more down-force) and tyres (wider) may start making DRS redundant (fingers crossed).

Its headed back towards the ground effects days (like 1997) without the "fear of god losing the vacuum" (like pulling a suction cup off a window; once it unsticks..) issues.

Ummmm.....ground effect was banned in the early 1980's.

Source: wikipedia

Also: news.com.au and and several other media websites are reporting that Lewis could be sacked/suspended after the last few lap shenanigans, alongside some other incidents (he also almost quit after the crash in Barca)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Ummmm...ground effect was banned in the early 1980's.

Source: wikipedia

Also: news.com.au and and several other media websites are reporting that Lewis could be sacked/suspended after the last few lap shenanigans, alongside some other incidents (he also almost quit after the crash in Barca)

Ground effects as in with the side curtain etc were banned in the 80 is correct but the chassis design evolved to enable the concept to still be effective providing additional downforce via the under tray. This is why they implemented the the "plank" in the 90 due to the stupidly low ride heights. (remember Schey in 94 with the worn plank penalty) The next evolution was all about ride height thus the design change to the raised nose, splitter and defusers. Most of that move stemmed from Senna's accident where they believe the ride height contributed (the Williams had active suspension to better maintain the ground "effect" downforce) to the accident. So from about late 1994 they started trying to manage the ride height as a way to manage the "underside" aero; even when the front wing was mandated to be 150mm off the ground. But with that a design change was discovered that helped reactivate underside aero, or as it was still referred to "ground effects" (as it was the evolution of the original form). The Mercedes of Webber in 1999 at Le Mans is a good example of how the newer "ground effects" worked and the frailties. Once it started "porpoising" and the air pressure shifted it went from racing car to space craft in a second.The V8 supercars front under tray of today is designed off the same concept.

As far as the Hamiliton thing goes Mercedes won't do anything and they have already signalled it will all be behind closed doors if they do. With the reports (strong) of Hamilton already threatening to walk away from Mercedes earlier this year (post Spain) its a PR nightmare if they do anything. Toto's "I need to crystallise my thoughts" line was code for the Malaysian GP has said they are about to pull the pin, and that puts Merc's major sponsor in doubt (Petronas - Malaysian company) and if they "love" Hamilton.......and first stop for Rosberg is at Petronas towers today!

A very good question doing the rounds on twitter that provides some prospective:

Should Hamilton be disciplined for putting Rosberg's title hopes in danger?

Too much reputational / image damage (including for sponsors) if they sanction him especially with the look of bias they will give creditably too if they do act against him; and the new owners of F1 wont be happy as its kills the racing.

PS - Caught myself reminiscing and trying to remember the year I had the privileged of having, although short, a face to face chat with Senna.

Status
Not open for further replies.