• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
My 23 for Wales

1. Scott Sio (25 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) (112 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (73 Tests)
4. Rory Arnold (6 Tests)
5. Adam Coleman (7 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy (37 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (61 Tests)
8. Lopeti Timani (3 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps (48 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (37 Tests)
11. Sefanaia Naivalu (2 Tests)
12. Reece Hodge (6 Tests)
13. Israel Folau (48 Tests)
14. Henry Speight (6 Tests)
15. Dane Haylett-Petty (10 Tests)
16. Allan Ala'alatoa (5 Tests)
17. James Hanson (12 Tests)
18. Tom Robertson (4 Tests)
19. Rob Simmons (66 Tests)
20. Sean McMahon (12 Tests)
21. David Pocock (61 Tests)
22. Tevita Kuridrani (40 Tests)
23. Nick Frisby (3 Tests)

I think Hodge was sufficiently shit at 12 to be shifted back to the wing/bench.

By sufficiently shit i mean we would not have conceded more than a single try in the first 60 odd minutes if not for him.

Speight was even worse so, Speight dropped and hodge at 11 sefa to 14.

Stirzaker, even out of form, cant be any worse than Frisby right?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't mind that team. Hodge and Speight need to improve but they also need opportunities to do it.

We need Cooper in the 23 though. Hodge and Frisby aren't adequate as cover for the 10 jersey in a test match.

T

Tip

Cooper should be in the 15 or not at all. He's a useless waste of space on the Wallaby bench as Cheika won't ever let him off the pine.

Surely I mustn't be the only one that noticed Foley's feeble kicking cost us the game?

Kicking for goal = Failure - cost us a try
Kicking for touch = Failure - cost us a try
Kicking for Touch on a penlaty = Failure

Foley's kicking directly lead to 2 tries for NZ. He also missed 2 simple as fuck penalties that even left Chieka pulling what little hair he has left out from his head.

Hodge's kicking directly lead to 1 try too.

I don't know guys, but here's a thought....

Since we're playing 5 games back to back in the Northern Hemisphere, surely it's prudent to have your best Goal kicker, General Play kicker and Penalty kicker on the park at all times.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't mind that team. Hodge and Speight need to improve but they also need opportunities to do it.

We need Cooper in the 23 though. Hodge and Frisby aren't adequate as cover for the 10 jersey in a test match.

As durable as Foley is, it would be very high risk not to go into a big test of a GS without a backup 1st 5.

I doubt Hodge or Frisby are running the cutter at training. If Beale, Giteau, To'omua, Lilo were in the side you could get away with the halfback + Kurindrani bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Hodge was sufficiently shit at 12 to be shifted back to the wing/bench.

By sufficiently shit i mean we would not have conceded more than a single try in the first 60 odd minutes if not for him.

Speight was even worse so, Speight dropped and hodge at 11 sefa to 14.

Stirzaker, even out of form, cant be any worse than Frisby right?

Hodge has defended successfully in the 12 channel for a few games now whilst starting on wing.

I don't think it is worth dropping him for one poor defensive game against the best team in the world - I don't think he is a poor defender.

Dropping him for his lack of attack maybe, but I'd give him another shot given I prefer him at 12 then Foley.

Speight has been a consistently good defender too in the past, but I doubt his attacking abilities.

I think both are worth persisting with. Compare them defensively to DHP and his first 4 or so Tests were just as bad and he was persisted with (probably a little too much for my liking) but he has come good.

I believe both Speight and Hodge will come good on defence much quicker. It's attack that's a worry.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Hodge has defended successfully in the 12 channel for a few games now whilst starting on wing.

I don't think it is worth dropping him for one poor defensive game against the best team in the world - I don't think he is a poor defender.

Dropping him for his lack of attack maybe, but I'd give him another shot given I prefer him at 12 then Foley.

Speight has been a consistently good defender too in the past, but I doubt his attacking abilities.

I think both are worth persisting with. Compare them defensively to DHP and his first 4 or so Tests were just as bad and he was persisted with (probably a little too much for my liking) but he has come good.

I believe both Speight and Hodge will come good on defence much quicker. It's attack that's a worry.

Would you drop Speight for Korobiete if he comes off the bench and performs strongly for 20?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Noted Tip, and FWIW I actually don't mind which of Foley or Cooper starts, but it's pertinent to point out that Quade does come with his own set of flaws and risks. The Foley/Quade argument has been done to death and no matter what happens with either player in any game it's going to keep going on and on until one of them is off the scene. So I'm leaving it there and I reckon someone should start up a separate thread for that so we don't all have to listen to the same recycled drivel before and after each game. (BTW I'm not accusing you of that, your points are relevant, but if the argument gets going that's what it will come to).

Regardless of that, as pointed out directly above whichever one doesn't start needs to be on the bench if only for injury cover.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Would you drop Speight for Korobiete if he comes off the bench and performs strongly for 20?

Absolutely. Would have preferred to see Naivalu or even Morahan given a shot beforehand but wouldn't hesitate to drop Speight if another winger performed better, even over a short stint from the bench.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Regardless of that, as pointed out directly above whichever one doesn't start needs to be on the bench if only for injury cover.

Which is a shame because neither are terribly versatile, like for example To'omua or Beale.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Quite a gamble to put Korobiete into a Test match, not having played Union since high school. Perhaps he is being groomed for 2017 via the intensity of training with the best, plus playing in the one midweek game.
Or Cheika is about to pull off a masterstroke by throwing Korobiete into the deep end.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Quite a gamble to put Korobiete into a Test match, not having played Union since high school. Perhaps he is being groomed for 2017 via the intensity of training with the best, plus playing in the one midweek game.
Or Cheika is about to pull off a masterstroke by throwing Korobiete into the deep end.

Surely in there for developmental purposes only. Guess Cheika thinks wallabies training would excel his development more-so then a full pre-season.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Surely in there for developmental purposes only. Guess Cheika thinks wallabies training would excel his development more-so then a full pre-season.

I would have thought that a player needs to be fully, or very close to fully, developed to make a Wallabies squad. Taking up a space to develop a player with absolutely no intention of playing him would be ridiculous, surely?
I'd say hes going to take a punt.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would have thought that a player needs to be fully, or very close to fully, developed to make a Wallabies squad. Taking up a space to develop a player with absolutely no intention of playing him would be ridiculous, surely?

NZ are doing it with Jordy Barrett this year. I don't think it's too outside the box. For example getting a like player like Tongan "Thor" involved early.

Also the fact their isn't any other potentially world-class options available, would rather we develop guys then continue selecting players like Mumm.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nah I think Foley is pretty damn versatile. He was a good attacking fullback before he was a 10 and now he has decent exposure at 12 (and was improving each game).

I don't think he'd go too badly on the wing either for a last resort.

Yeah as far as 10s go he's about as versatile as they come. He's even had some experience at 9 if things went really pear.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)

Plenty of players don't get on the field in EOYTs without midweek dirt-tracker games. Plenty of future debutantes get taken along for experience. But in this case I think you're right. Koroibete will get a chance off the bench at some point.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I will be very surprised (and disappointed) if Koroibete plays for the Wallabies before he's even laced up the boots at club, NRC or Super Rugby level first. If it happens, I will be convinced that Cheika has indeed lost the plot.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I will be very surprised (and disappointed) if Koroibete plays for the Wallabies before he's even laced up the boots at club, NRC or Super Rugby level first. If it happens, I will be convinced that Cheika has indeed lost the plot.

But why?

Wing is the most similar position between league and union and he played union growing up so one would assume he has a bit of knowledge re: positioning and the breakdown.

If Cheika sees him outperform other Wallaby wing options at training why shouldn't he give him a run?

Koroibete's form in the NRL this year was miles better than Speights form in any Rugby he played this year (7s or 15s). It might simply be that hes the better option. It certainly looks like he has some class about him.