• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Different era..
At the time Super Rugby didn't exist, Randwick were SS champions and Kearns was been kept out of first grade by Eddie Jones..

By allowing a rugby league winger to walk straight into the Wallabies it perpetuates this argument that rugby league is the vastly superior product and devalues the Wallaby brand IMO.

At least Rogers, Sailor and Tuqiri all played Super Rugby before been called up for the Wallabies.

Or, if you are a half glass full kind of individual: Wallabies are the far more attractive prospect and we managed to convince one of the best League wingers to leave their game for ours.

Usually, this kind of argument falls in favor of whatever code you follow. Folau would be back into the NSW team pretty snappy if he switched back to league (i don't consider international league to be the pinnacle, really).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Or, if you are a half glass full kind of individual: Wallabies are the far more attractive prospect and we managed to convince one of the best League wingers to leave their game for ours.

Usually, this kind of argument falls in favor of whatever code you follow. Folau would be back into the NSW team pretty snappy if he switched back to league (i don't consider international league to be the pinnacle, really).

Get the facts right old mate

Folau played State of Origin for Queensland NOT your mob

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^ Correct me if I'm wrong, 2ilms, but what you seem to be saying is that Koroibete is ready to play for the Wallabies, but that you really haven't seen much of him in League?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't recall one single League convert that has come across and immediately looked comfortable in the XV man game.
Even Folau who is arguably one of our best if not he best league convert looked hopelessly out of place for at least 6 months. Koroibete won't be any different which is why rushing him into the spring tour is silly.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't recall one single League convert that has come across and immediately looked comfortable in the XV man game.
Even Folau who is arguably one of our best if not he best league convert looked hopelessly out of place for at least 6 months. Koroibete won't be any different which is why rushing him into the spring tour is silly.

Medicare Matt and Andrew Walker slotted in pretty well from what I recall.

Hello, Lote, Tahu, Cross all looked a little lost out there to start out.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^ Correct me if I'm wrong, 2ilms, but what you seem to be saying is that Koroibete is ready to play for the Wallabies, but that you really haven't seen much of him in League?

No i was just trying to not be massively negative. Pinching a rival code's star player is a good thing, you know?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Medicare Matt and Andrew Walker slotted in pretty well from what I recall.

Hello, Lote, Tahu, Cross all looked a little lost out there to start out.

That's probably largely explained by the fact that the former two had union backgrounds - Rogers played Aus schools and Walker had already played 1st grade rugby with Randwick before switching to loig.

Koroibete has a union background too of course, but not at as high a level as those two. In fact his background is probably more similar to that of Tuqiri who started playing league straight away when he moved to Australia from Fiji as a 15 year old. I can't find at what age Koroibete switched to league but it was in the juniors in Fiji after he had 'represented his school' in rugby.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Even Folau who is arguably one of our best if not he best league convert looked hopelessly out of place for at least 6 months.
I think your memory fails you, Scoey.

Folau was near enough the best Australian rugby back from about his first Super Rugby game, in which he scored two tries and handed off a third. Go back and read the reviews on this site. RugbyReg will correct me, but I remember he also won the MOTM points on here.

He was by far the best Australian rugby back by his first international match, four months later, when he scored twice against the Lions.

The only sense in which he was hopelessly out of place was that he was nowhere near where the Lions defenders hoped he would be.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Nope. He was near enough the best Australian rugby back from about his first Super Rugby game. Go back and read the reviews on this site. He was by far the best Australian rugby back by his first test match.

No he wasn't mate. He struggled at first playing Super Rugby. I was at his first Super game. He struggled with positioning, made some poor defensive reads etc. Sure he scored a nice try and that may be what people remembered.

I'll agree that by the time he played his first Test he was much more competent but was still learning then game. But this is kind of my point. People are saying, what if Koroibete comes out and has a blinder, when in reality, he almost certainly won't. That's fine too by the way. Give him time and if he's as good as everyone says then that's genuinely exciting but to throw him into a test match and expect him to go well is just setting him and yourself up to fail.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No he wasn't mate. He struggled at first playing Super Rugby. I was at his first Super game. He struggled with positioning, made some poor defensive reads etc. Sure he scored a nice try and that may be what people remembered.

I'll agree that by the time he played his first Test he was much more competent but was still learning then game. But this is kind of my point. People are saying, what if Koroibete comes out and has a blinder, when in reality, he almost certainly won't. That's fine too by the way. Give him time and if he's as good as everyone says then that's genuinely exciting but to throw him into a test match and expect him to go well is just setting him and yourself up to fail.
They haven't picked the test team yet!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the best quote for me on Koroibete signing was from John Connolly in today's Australian..

"I thinks it's a darn disgrace that he's been brought straight into the Australian team --and I would have done precisely the same thing I was coaching the Wallabies" he said "Koroibete is a proven tryscorer."

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cheika knew choosing Koroibete would cause a bit of controversy but he did so anyway which is what I want a coach of the wallabies to do ie. back his own judgement on these issues. He believes Koroibete is worth accelerating on a fast path....and on his league pedigree and form this year hard to ague on that point.

And at some stage Koroibete we would expect would get a test start and sure maybe that first test start may be even a bit wobbly but I am going to judge the player over a couple of tests as the player is the type of player who will show more accelerated improvement playing at higher levels than other players on offer in same position imo.

Also DHP is another example of this imo as I was not sure about DHP on the wing because in RC early on showed some defensive frailties but nowadays he is probably one of the first I would pick for the team (note still like him at his preferred position of 15) for as you would expect from a very good elite footballer he has shown ability to adapt to new position in more accelerated level by operating in this position at higher level. Same could probably be said of Timani.

Nigel

Frank Row (1)
Cheika knew choosing Koroibete would cause a bit of controversy but he did so anyway which is what I want a coach of the wallabies to do ie. back his own judgement on these issues. He believes Koroibete is worth accelerating on a fast path..and on his league pedigree and form this year hard to ague on that point.

And at some stage Koroibete we would expect would get a test start and sure maybe that first test start may be even a bit wobbly but I am going to judge the player over a couple of tests as the player is the type of player who will show more accelerated improvement playing at higher levels than other players on offer in same position imo.

Also DHP is another example of this imo as I was not sure about DHP on the wing because in RC early on showed some defensive frailties but nowadays he is probably one of the first I would pick for the team (note still like him at his preferred position of 15) for as you would expect from a very good elite footballer he has shown ability to adapt to new position in more accelerated level by operating in this position at higher level. Same could probably be said of Timani.

.....or was it a condition in Koroibete's contract that he gets a gig on this tour if he came over to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.