• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs...s-announce-2017-pre-season-trial-matches.aspx

Their first trial will be held at Mudgee’s Glen Willow Regional Sports Stadium in a blockbuster local derby against the Brumbies on Saturday 4th February

Their second trial will form part of their campaign at next year’s inaugural Brisbane Global Tens on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th February

The Tahs then return home for their third and final trial at Brookvale Oval on Sydney’s northern beaches on Thursday 16th February against 2016 Super Rugby semi-finalists, the Highlanders before their Super Rugby season officially kicks off on Saturday 25th February against the Western Force at home at Allianz Stadium.
Yes, I was about to post this article to confirm the heads up about the trial in god's country I gave you a few weeks ago.

I'll be involved in the organisation of the game and will come back with some pertinent information closer to the date, but if anyone is planning to come up for what will be a fabulous weekend and wants some intel on the best places to stay etc, just send me a PM, Tahs and Ponies supporters alike.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
With the Tahs finally updating the player profiles on the website, we have 26 players listed with some obvious ones missing.

Prop - Robertson, Ryan, Ta'avao, Sandell, Kepu (photo missing), Needs (EPS)
Hooker - Latu, Roach, Fitzpatrick (photo missing)
Lock - Skelton, Toleafoa, Mumm, Hanigan, Power (photo missing)
Backrow - Dempsey, Holloway, Hooper, Wilkin, Wells (photo missing)
Halfback - Gordon, Lucas, Phipps
Flyhalf - Foley, Hegarty, Deegan (Supp)
Centres - Horwitz, Horne, Stewart, Simone (EPS, photo missing)
Wing/Fullback - Folau, Jones (EPS), Kellaway, Robinson, Clark (photo missing)

Can anyone think of any other players that are missing?

Other players who may have some form of contract: Perry, McCauley

1. We have five tighthead props with no loosehead signed. Best of the NRC LHPs that appear to be available include Rory O'Connor (until his hand injury), Ezra Luxton (who took his spot), and Matt Gibbon.

2. Well might we lament the lack of locking options in the main squad, though NRC players putting their hands up are few and far between. Current squad members Toleafoa was absolutely underwhelming all season, and McCauley didn't get enough time to prove himself. Connor Vest was prominent enough to suggest he may get a training spot with the latter rather than the former - though he's unlikely to move rucks the way they had hoped Toleafoa could/should.

3. Rowan Perry will likely stay on as Hooper's understudy as there's no other option than doing the South African thing if the captain gets injured. With Palu gone and no sign of Naiyaravoro transitioning we may see Viiga as the backup eighthman in front of Sam Ward - though wouldn't new Force recruit Isa Naisarani have been a good catch!

4. With potentially three scumhalfs and four inside backs already named, I'd suggest a versatile utility and an outside back will round out the squad. Perhaps Horwitz can take Simone's EPS position, and Latunipulu can be a backup 13.

I'm suggesting the remaining seven additional contracts (if Simone is promoted) could go to:

Rory O'Connor (with Gibbon and Luxton as options)
Ryan McCauley and Connor Vest (with Toleafoa as an option)
Rowan Perry and Tyrone Viiga (with Ward as an option)
Dave Horwitz and Apo Latunipulu

I had mentioned Figg and Cusack from the sevens program in earlier posts though the former is training with the Force, and the latter has signed with the Brumbies. Players eligible through foreign player marquee rules might include loose forward Sopoaga and lock Tufui (both of the Rams) who acquitted themselves very well through the season.

Of the five THP's we have: Kepu probably stays at TH, though he has lots of LH experience, Ryan and Ta'avao transitioned to LH last year and Ryan clearly wants to stay there and Cheika wants Robertson to play at LH and this was where he played in the last two tests. We have an absolute logjam of talent across the front row. Bodes well for 2017, I can forsee some scrums getting smashed. Wouldn't it be nice.

Given Toleafoa's lack of impact, Tufui might be a good choice. The locks still look underwhelming for mine; its our biggest area of weakness. I'd love to swap Lukhan Tui for Toleafoa but that train has long gone.

I'd like to have Sopoaga with Perry; I thought Sopoaga outpointed just about every loosie in the NRC, except maybe Hardwick. Viiga vs Ward for back-up 8 is a close call but I'd take Viiga.

Another logjam of talent at 9. Unless there is a major injury someone's going to be very disappointed.

Naiyaravoro is missing from BH's list so the wings are well covered. If Folau plays at 13 in attack and 14 in defence as he did last year I'd like to see another experienced fullback in the squad. Maybe Clark will have to transition - he's got a lot in front of him at wing and he's not really express.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Given Toleafoa's lack of impact, Tufui might be a good choice. The locks still look underwhelming for mine; its our biggest area of weakness.
I agree, locks may yet be an issue for you.

That being said, Toleafoa was good at 'lock stuff'. He's not a highlights reel lock who does the work of a back rower, but he does fine.

Viiga vs Ward for back-up 8 is a close call but I'd take Viiga.

Additional decision making factors are Viiaga is 2 years younger and looks like he has a lot more 'improvement' to be found in a conditioning program than Ward. I rate both though.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
Of the five THP's we have: Kepu probably stays at TH, though he has lots of LH experience, Ryan and Ta'avao transitioned to LH last year and Ryan clearly wants to stay there

I believe that Angus Ta'avao has a broken leg (last Rays game) and will be out 4-6 mths

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Of the five THP's we have: Kepu probably stays at TH, though he has lots of LH experience, Ryan and Ta'avao transitioned to LH last year and Ryan clearly wants to stay there

I believe that Angus Ta'avao has a broken leg (last Rays game) and will be out 4-6 mths

Hadn't heard that, its bad luck for him. As he was ranked at 4 in the pecking order behind Kepu, Roberton and Ryan with Sandell and Needs behind him I think we are still well covered. Remember that Sandell was rated higher than Robertson at the start of last season.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Did Irae Simone just say that he's signed to the Waratahs for 2 seasons? That means he's not EPS right?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Perhaps EPS for 2017 and full Tah 2018.

Someone needs to tell him to never go full Tah.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very possible if we get an injury or two and he gets a run in a match that he could do a Tom Robertson.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did Irae Simone just say that he's signed to the Waratahs for 2 seasons? That means he's not EPS right?

Wouldn't be the first bloke to exaggerate a lower level contract - though I'm not saying he is.

I think he's a talent who's got a professional standard of conditioning from his time in league. No reason 2017 couldn't be the breakout year.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
So what's a XV going to look like?
Id expect

Robertson
Latu
Kepu
Mumm
Skelton
Dempsey
Hooper
Holloway
Phipps
Foley
Horne
Simone
Folau
Naiyaravoro
Kellaway

Horne, Folau and Kellaway switch positions in defence.
Naiyaravoro is needed to double as a ball running back rower due to loss of TPN and Palu.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Id expect

Robertson
Latu
Kepu
Mumm
Skelton
Dempsey
Hooper
Holloway
Phipps
Foley
Horne
Simone
Folau
Naiyaravoro
Kellaway

Naiyaravoro is needed to double as a ball running back rower due to loss of TPN and Palu.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

I hope so.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Robertson
. . .
Kepu

They're both THPs. I'd suggest perhaps Ryan beats Robertson to the loosehead spot?

Horne
Simone
Folau
Naiyaravoro
Kellaway

I don't think Simone is likely to start. Horne probably goes to 12, Cam Clark to one wing, Reece Robinson to the other. Naiyaravoro is more of a finisher for me.

Not quite sure how that works, but I think if Horne is at 12, the rest falls into place. Kellaway at the back, supported by Robinson and Clark.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They're both THPs. I'd suggest perhaps Ryan beats Robertson to the loosehead spot?

I don't think Simone is likely to start. Horne probably goes to 12, Cam Clark to one wing, Reece Robinson to the other. Naiyaravoro is more of a finisher for me.
Horne, Folau and Kellaway switch positions in defence.[/quote]

Not quite sure how that works, but I think if Horne is at 12, the rest falls into place. Kellaway at the back, supported by Robinson and Clark.[/quote]

If I'm honest I haven't enough out of Clark to assume he has one wing spot nailed down. His NRC performances looked very patchy to me. of the two 7s blokes the Rays had it was Foley that impressed the most.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Based on the NRC I think there is a strong chance Robinson will claim one of those wing spots. He has been really impressive.

Who knows what is going on with Naiyaravoro.

Clark missed a lot of the NRC with injury but from what he showed, he's got a fair amount of ground to make up to be playing round 1.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There are also few people with "wing" against their name in the squad as it is. Maybe less with "centre"

Robinson is a lock for a wing spot. His pace and growing awareness is a massive asset.

Folau and Horne in the midfield is pretty much decided I think. Need the experience there, and Phipps and Foley feeding them.

Kellaway is either a wing or fullback, but I'd back him for 15.

Taqele can't defend. I don't want him starting because smaller players (i.e. everyone) will use the acres either side of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.